Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Margaritaville , Florida
Wiring porch or awning light in 22' Bambi

Has anyone wired a porch or awning light by tapping into the step light circuit on a Bambi 22’?

I found this by mrmercury49 at https://www.airforums.com/forums/f29...ml#post2051769
“Remove the access panel to the shower faucet. Remove the screws to the step light and tease the wires out. Tap the new conductors, in parallel, to power your new light. Fish the new wire up from the bottom to the access panel and than up to your new light. The step light switch will operate both lights.”
Behind my step light I can only access the 20 gauge pigtail on the step light. I can’t access the 12 or 14 gauge supply wire it’s connected to. I am hesitant to splice into the pigtail, and I'm loathe to enlarge the hole behind the step light.

I've PM'ed mrmercury49 for details, but I'd like to ask if anyone else has done this, or got a wire up to the awning by some other method.

Thanks.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Yes I did. Search in this forum for my post

You can drill a hole from the outside and run the wire down until you hit the horizontal beam in the wall
You need to remove the inside door trim
From the inside the wires go down on the left side

Then wire to existing switch

We are travelling, thus have limited access
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Margaritaville , Florida
Update to awning light install

First, thanks to…

mrmercury49 for his description of his DIY light install on a Bambi at https://www.airforums.com/forums/f29...ml#post2051769

dprvashon for his description of the factory awning light on his 27 FC at https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...-140488-2.html

waninae39 for his response above, even though I went a different route with the wiring

…and the several others for the their posts on this topic on other threads on non-Bambi models.

I was able to tap into the step light circuit by removing the adjacent 120v duplex outlet. Replaced the existing 2-wire Wago connectors with 3-wire connectors to accommodate the new awning light wire.

Fished this wire about 4 feet straight up within the wall to a 5/16” hole drilled in the interior skin behind the access panel for the shower mixing valve. Inserted a plastic snap bushing to protect the wire from being abraded by the aluminum skin.

Made a cutout in the shower valve access panel for an on/off/dimmer switch

Used Wago connectors on the pigtails of the switch; used 2-wire connectors for the power and dimmer, and a 3-wire connector for the grounds.

Prepared the female side of the strip light connector by soldering it onto a length of 18 AWG hookup wire Shrink wrapped the solder connection.

Drilled a 5/16” hole in the exterior skin near the aft end of the awning. Inserted a plastic snap bushing. Fished the hookup wire with the female barrel connector for the light through the cable clam, then through the drilled hole and down about 3 feet behind the shower where there is no interior skin. Took care to disturb the insulation as little as possible. Used a crimp connector to splice in a fuse holder with a 3 amp ATO fuse onto the positive wire to the new light. Then completed the connection to the switch and mounted the cable clam on the exterior.

Used 1/4 split loom on the wiring.

Prepared the light strip by cutting to length with a scissors. The final length was determined by the distance between the rafter arms of the awning (about 12-1/2 feet). Since the strip has side emitting LEDs, it can go on only one way for the lights to illuminate the space under the awning. Since the strip came with the power connector on the opposite side of where my power source was going to be, I cut off the end of the strip with the supplied connector and soldered a new connector to the other end. Capped the non-powered end and sealed with silicone sealant. A wiring cap on the powered end was also sealed with silicone sealant. This left me with a 4 ft strip for another application.

Applied blue tape under the awning to establish the position for the strip light; attached using the double-sided tape supplied with the light strip. Then applied a 1/8” bead of neutral cure GE Silicone II sealant above and below the light strip. *** Yes, I know the use of silicone sealant on Airstreams is considered a sin by many, but I felt it was the only thing that would adhere decently to the silicone casing of the light strip, and I wanted to protect the adhesive tape bond from the elements. A dab of silicone also holds down each end of the strip.

A few post-install thoughts…

I like the fact that the side-emitting LEDs illuminate downward. But with the strip tucked up near the awning for protection, there is a shadow cast by the curvature of the roof that extends about 4 feet out on the ground. This could be reduced by mounting the strip lower down, but it would be less protected by the rolled-up awning.

The strip used is extremely bright at full power; could have made do with a strip less than 36 LEDs per foot, but the lowest setting is perfect for dinner light. At high, it’s at floodlight intensity.

Probably the weakest part of the install is the bond of the strip to the exterior skin. The supplied adhesive tape is 3M branded of unknown type, 1/4” wide. The tape combined with the silicone sealant appear sufficient for the low mass of the strip. Time will tell.

Parts list and pics to follow.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Margaritaville , Florida
Awning Light Parts List

Waterproof, warm white side-emitting LED light strip: Superbright #STW-AS30K80-E3D-05C5M-12V-2MPT. https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...65/6038/14059/

16.4 ft stock length cut to 13 ft to fit between awning rafter arms 13 ft at 91ma/ft = 1.2 amps, (1.5 amps for 16.4 ft)

Factory version for reference: https://www.itc-rv.com/product/janus...-linear-light/ #RSLL1230-LLWL warm white watertight side emitting strip

Cable clam: Scanstrut DS-H6 Small Horizontal Cable Seal cable capacity 2mm - 6mm (.08 - .24” )
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00SWTPE..._rfmBFbV7FWDDQ

Waterproof male barrel connector: Superbright #STW-2MPT-50: STW-2MPT-50

Waterproof female barrel connector: Superbright #STW-2FPT-50: STW-2FPT-50

Light strip end caps from Superbright, specific to the light strip

On/off/dimmer switch: JR Products #15225
15 Amp, 12 VDC
Cutout: 1.75″ x 2.25″
Switch: 2.82″ x 3.00″

18AWG marine grade hookup wire, split wire loom, plastic snap bushings, Wago 221 lever nuts, in-line fuse holder
Old 11-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Margaritaville , Florida
Awning Light Pics

Pics from my install
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning Light_sm.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	258.9 KB