Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Holiday World of Katy TX, any experience?

This is the closest AS dealer to my residence and the place where I’ve been doing business over the phone up to this point. So my concern is that when I read their google customer reviews they are absolutely horrible regarding the service department. Then I checked other AS dealer reviews and their all about as bad but maybe not as bad as Holiday World of Katy. There at some horrible stories lol!!

I checked the Airstream DFW in Dallas TX and there were only about two or three bad google reviews. Maybe I’ll give them a call first thing in the morning.

Have any of you purchased an AS in Texas? If so can I get some advise? Thanks!!

This is a little bit frustrating but I am greatful for the help available to me through this forum.
Shane74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
You are going to find negative reviews pretty much about every service department. Some are legitimate, some are left by disgruntled former employees, some perhaps by competitors.

Once you are able to freely move about, you might want to visit one or more of the dealers you mentioned. Are there tools laying around, is the place clean, do the employees seem to be busy, is there a well stocked retail division? I would think “eyes on” would be more fruitful than “on-line”

I am in the same boat as you are as the “go-to” family owned dealer in upstate Florida was sold to a corporate dealership when the owners retired.

Good luck.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
DFW Airstream

Purchased our 2019 FC 25' from DFW 6/19.
Purchase went smoothly.
Haven't been back . Either fix myself or have my Mobile RV tech handle it. DFW AS is 135 miles from my house and between hauling it , leaving it and returning for pick-up , this works for me. I have no feedback for DFW service.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Direct Message me for my experience, feedback, and opinions on HW of Katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane74 View Post
This is the closest AS dealer to my residence and the place where I’ve been doing business over the phone up to this point. So my concern is that when I read their google customer reviews they are absolutely horrible regarding the service department. Then I checked other AS dealer reviews and their all about as bad but maybe not as bad as Holiday World of Katy. There at some horrible stories lol!!

I checked the Airstream DFW in Dallas TX and there were only about two or three bad google reviews. Maybe I’ll give them a call first thing in the morning.

This is a little bit frustrating but I am greatful for the help available to me through this forum.

I live about 2 miles from these guys, and I have had a few transactions with them. Send me a private message and I am more than happy to share my experiences and thoughts and feelings with you.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane74 View Post

I purchased my 2016 Classic at Holiday World of Katy. Got a good price. Reports of their Service Department difficulties are true. Had my warranty work done there - I had to personally get the good guys in Jackson Center involved to get some repairs approved. Post the expiration of the warranty period, I exclusively use Bob Jones RV in South Houston - they are outstanding, honest. Best wishes.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Once again, thanks for the help guys. What a great place to learn!
Old 04-07-2020, 10:07 PM   #7
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I just purchased from DFW Airstream last month. They were very profession every time I visited them over a year before I finally bought. The service guys seemed to be the same, but I haven't had to use them just yet.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
My close friend of 40+ years used to be a salesman and then the “finance” guy at HW in Katy. He had some very disparaging things to say about the inside workings of that place.
They only started handling Airstreams in the last few years, first a few smaller ones lined up along I-10, then lately adding about a dozen or so more. Airstreams move fast because they are some of the best RVs in the league...but HW isn’t a seasoned AS dealer... they just collect the money and “move ‘em out”.

I had good impressions and experiences with Vogt in Ft Worth.

But keep in mind that IF you have warranty issues.... getting it back up to FtW for repairs (If it’s possible for it to be transported that far)... will be a lot more trouble than it will at the dealer “closest to your residence” where you can personally drop in and hound them. ;>)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
So after doing my research I’ve decided NOT to consider HW in Katy TX. There are just too many red flags. As a matter of fact, there are more red flags than I’ve ever discovered after looking into a company or product. I’m still Airstream crazy, so my search will continue. All of the help and opinions are greatly appreciated! What a nice bunch of people.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
HW of Katy is owned by the same guy as the HW in No and So Houston. They’re all the same co., FYI.

You lucky folks in Crockett have a wonderfully delicious cafe there on the south side of the square (I had to ignore the amusing political bent of the decor.) Best coconut pie I’ve ever had, too.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
So after I marked HW off the list I found a place that actually had the 2020 Bambi 22fb on the lot. That place is Bayer RV, in Dublin TX. Seriously, I could not find a location with exactly what I wanted and was told that at the moment Airstream were shut down causing production to cease. I was even told that my best shot at a new Bambi 22 would be when the 2021s came out. Airstream of DFW actually told me that.

So with that said, I made the deal with Steve at Bayer RV and was satisfied with the discount and communication. I pick it up tomorrow so I can’t comment on the entire deal at the moment.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Thumbs down Won't drive onto HW parking lot.

I will never drive onto the parking lot of HW either locations - Katy or Willis TX.
The sales side doesn't talk to the service side & vica-versa.
They are a franchisee for Airstream (plus a bunch of other brands) not a licensed dealer like cars/trucks. That makes a big difference with this relationship and why buyers are unhappy with Airstream Corp. As Boxite mentioned...they just want to "move-em-out" which is what I observe as well.
If for example you buy a brand new A/S from say the Biloxi MS dealer you 'can' get HW to do your warranty service...BUT because you didn't buy it from HW then you get to go to the back of the line (4 months). Not my idea of prompt service like Bob Jones RV in South Houston does..he's an independent service provider.
And I really can't weigh in on what if you buy from HW what's the outcome of service/timing. Other posters will have to defend/comment that topic.
But I can tell you why 2 recent purchases made in TX have been from Camper Clinic in Buda. They did it specifically because the owners live in the Hill Country and didn't want to travel far to get warranty service. Makes sense to me. I wouldn't want to drive 2 days one way for service either. Might as well drive back to the mother ship in Jackson Center and have it done there.
Good luck with your decision/choices.
Ol Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Hi Shane.

Congratulations on the purchase!

Has Bayer RV been carrying Airstreams for awhile? When I was in the market, I don't recall these guys being in the game.

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
Hi Shane.

Congratulations on the purchase!

Has Bayer RV been carrying Airstreams for awhile? When I was in the market, I don't recall these guys being in the game.

Good luck!
Hey! Honestly, I’m not sure how long they have been carrying Airstream and this is a risk I know. Thing is, I was looking for a specific trailer, in my home state and with a good discount. Believe it or not, Bayer is the only place I found to cover those check marks.

Everywhere I called told me they have no more on the lot and their not sure if or when AS will produce 2020s again since their supposedly at a stand still. So when I saw this one advertised I gave them a call. I reached the sales manager and he immediately told me what he’d do on the discount with no games. He basically got to the point and I liked that. Another thing I liked are all of the extras being thrown in for free. The SAME extras that HW said they would have to charge me for.

So in a nutshell...I saved $9,000 dollars. On top of that, the trailer I was quoted at HW did not have the solar option like the one I bought at Bayer.

Keep in mind, I don’t pick the trailer up until tomorrow, but if all of these things I mentioned are at face value, then I did ok for my first go round. Or at least I think I did lol.

My plan is to use Jones in South Houston for service. Thanks for the great advise to all who helped! I hope this thread helps others. I absolute hate the buying process, but a little research certainly helped me.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Bob View Post
If for example you buy a brand new A/S from say the Biloxi MS dealer you 'can' get HW to do your warranty service...BUT because you didn't buy it from HW then you get to go to the back of the line (4 months).
Bob: Just curious - did you have this experience yourself? I just happened to have just bought a A/S in Mississippi and live in Houston.

Quite separately, car dealers are franchisees too. They generally want service revenue pretty badly, but warranty work does pay less and so is slightly less attractive. I assume (but don't actually know) that RV dealers are the same way. That said, I was surprised to hear how long it was going to be to get a warranty service appointment at HW Katy (about 7 weeks), but I don't know whether that is normal for the RV business because I am new at this.

I will say that, other than the unexpectedly long wait time, my first impression with HW Katy service was pretty good. I was having a coupler issue and spoke with the service adviser about it. He was not only helpful over the phone but also contacted A/S directly on my behalf.

For the OP, congrats on the find and purchase. Nice!
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
Bob: Just curious - did you have this experience yourself? I just happened to have just bought a A/S in Mississippi and live in Houston.
I'm not Bob....but I had that EXACT experience myself at HW of Katy. I shall quote the service manager who told me "You didn't buy your Airstream here, so you're lucky I even scheduled your repairs." No exaggeration.

Quote:
I will say that, other than the unexpectedly long wait time, my first impression with HW Katy service was pretty good. I was having a coupler issue and spoke with the service adviser about it. He was not only helpful over the phone but also contacted A/S directly on my behalf.
I had exactly the opposite experience with the quality of service at HW of Katy. After my first (and, hopefully, last!) service appointment, they delivered my trailer back to me with more broken things than when I dropped it off, didn't fix the 2 warranty items that I brought it in for, and charged me for the experience--all on a brand-new trailer I had owned for only 2 months! I now go to Bob Jones RV for service, whom Airstream allows to do warranty work for me. If you're near Houston, I highly recommend these guys.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Airstream allows to do warranty work for me.
That sounds awesome. How did you arrange it?
Old 04-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
That sounds awesome. How did you arrange it?
Based on my horrible experience where the local AS dealer didn’t fix my problems (and damaged my trailer in the process), I called Jackson Center and asked for other repair options. The rep told me about Bob Jones RV.

Bob Jones RV has a good relationship with Airstream, so somehow the approvals get handled in the background. Once repairs are authorized and completed, I do have to pay the labor upfront. Within about a month, I get a check from Airstream that fully reimburses my out of pocket expenses.

Call Bob Jones and ask for Harry Gruen, the service manager. This guy knows his stuff, and the whole outfit is only interested in happy customers. As a big plus, they fully stand behind their work. I cannot give a higher recommendation.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Based on my horrible experience where the local AS dealer didn’t fix my problems (and damaged my trailer in the process), I called Jackson Center and asked for other repair options. The rep told me about Bob Jones RV.

Bob Jones RV has a good relationship with Airstream, so somehow the approvals get handled in the background. Once repairs are authorized and completed, I do have to pay the labor upfront. Within about a month, I get a check from Airstream that fully reimburses my out of pocket expenses.

Call Bob Jones and ask for Harry Gruen, the service manager. This guy knows his stuff, and the whole outfit is only interested in happy customers. As a big plus, they fully stand behind their work. I cannot give a higher recommendation.
Thanks, Jay.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:15 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
I’m now have a new 2020 Airstream Bambi 22fb on my property! The sale went really well and my sales guy, Steve at Bayer RV in Dublin TX, was a pleasure to work with. I’ve made lots of big purchases in my day but have never been so comfortable as I was with Steve. He’s definitely not a shark in the water. Of course he wanted to make money, he just didn’t care to make all of it on me! Steve spent three hours helping me out and even walked me through the trailer brake system on my truck.

To answer Jay’s question...Bayer RV has been an AS dealer for 17 years but their not an exclusive AS dealer. Their a fairly small company with about ten AS units on the lot. There were no broke down units in the shop other than Steve’s personal 60’s AS being restored. That thing was cool!

So far I’m really liking my new trailer! Yes, it’s small on the inside, but it’s big enough for me, my wife and my daughter. The seating at the table is a little cramped for me (not them) but the slide out swivel table works perfectly to help me out. I’m 6’1” and I can actually stand up in the shower. I had no idea AS threw in all the little extras! That was a nice surprise, especially all the decor pillows.

I had a four hour trip to get back home with my beautiful submarine and boy was I nervous when first towing it! After about thirty minutes of driving I became extremely comfortable. Maybe too comfortable lol. This thing rides the road like a dream and I could barely feel it behind my Z71 pickup. I’m not sure how it will do going up mountains but hopefully I’ll know in the near future.

Its running on the the solar option at the moment and it will operate the fans, lights and water pump. That’s as far as I went because I saw the battery level dropping to around 12.1-, 12.5 and 12.7. Since I’m such a rookie I dropped back to just running the two main overhead lights on one light switch at the entrance.

My wife and daughter love this thing and I can’t wait to get some real use out of it.