Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Speaking of plastic

I added (3) white plastic convenience accessories to the FB (front bedroom) this first season. Two great cup holders from Taco and the fold-up Caframo Sirocco II fan. The dual cup holder with center storage is attached to one of the discussed divider panels and has been invaluable this year. The 2nd single holder is placed just below the vista windows forward enough to nesessitate sitting up first to grab the drink/coffee to prevent spilling on the bed and my wife agrees that was best.

The VERY quiet fully gimballed Sirocco II fan was a relatively easy install since it is powered by the full time 12 volt dc feeding the overhead cabinet reading lights of the FB. It was very easy to keep the feed wire out of view in that overhead cabinet too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1BB234D-3B28-43F8-8D59-EE45E79B9ACE.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	327143   Click image for larger version

Name:	0EB49032-6FD4-4252-8610-93DCB0011D20.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	327144  

Name:	C7880CFE-E235-4066-89D9-D2F03CC0C38F.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	327145   Click image for larger version

Name:	B208273A-C8D8-4989-B2DB-D4C25B5EFB59.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	327146  

keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
West Valley City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've thought about using shims and I'll probably do that until I can come up with a better solution. Problem is that I've lost some of the setscrews and they have escaped to unknown areas of the trailer. I am having absolutely "no luck" finding replacements. I guess that I will have to contact the AS factory to try and order replacements....that is...if I decide to keep the existing setup.
I had this problem. The longer curb side came out completely two of my last 3 trips. I have tried using silicone and tightening the screws. There must just be too much flex in the plexiglass. The screws actually hold on pretty good to the plexiglass but the screws into the cabinet top start pulling out.
After much consideration we have decided to remove both panels. I don't need that much privacy from the on other person traveling with me. It has opened up the space nicely. The big plus is that I can easily watch TV from the bed. The "nightstand" shelf is now accessable from the dinette which is nice when you use the dinette with the table down like a lounge area. It just makes the trailer feel bigger.
Rhuffer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
I have used silicon and loctite to keep the hex screws tight. I don't plan to remove the panel since they provide some kitchen splash protection and a back stop to the night stand. The panels can still vibrate out of the U-holders.

The 22FB bounce will eventually get anything and everything screwed-in to loosen up. I just know when we return from a 2K mile trip I have to tighten it all up. Just a job that is necessary.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Fairhaven , Massachusetts
The translucent panel on the curbside of my 22 fb kept coming loose, even after putting shims in and constantly tightening the set screws. I solved the problem by applying adhesive-backed Velcro to the panel and the inside channel opposite the set screw. I cut pieces approximately 1” x 3/4 “. I occasionally still have to tighten the set screws, but the panel stays in place. It’s held all the way to Yellowstone and back, over 6500 mi round trip from home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	353640  
davincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by davincent View Post
The translucent panel on the curbside of my 22 fb kept coming loose, even after putting shims in and constantly tightening the set screws. I solved the problem by applying adhesive-backed Velcro to the panel and the inside channel opposite the set screw. I cut pieces approximately 1” x 3/4 “. I occasionally still have to tighten the set screws, but the panel stays in place. It’s held all the way to Yellowstone and back, over 6500 mi round trip from home.

I too used adhesive backed felt PLUS I put some of the BLUE (not RED!!) screw locking adhesive on the threads of the hex heads. All are holding and the panels are staying in place. I’m missing two of the hex heads. They rolled under the kitchen sink and into the belly pan of the camper. [emoji53] They are 100% OEM to the maker of the bracket. I’ve ordered 2 from my dealer and expect them delivered any day now. They’ll get the same treatment when I install them.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Bath , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVSCH View Post
I too used adhesive backed felt PLUS I put some of the BLUE (not RED!!) screw locking adhesive on the threads of the hex heads. All are holding and the panels are staying in place. I’m missing two of the hex heads. They rolled under the kitchen sink and into the belly pan of the camper. [emoji53] They are 100% OEM to the maker of the bracket. I’ve ordered 2 from my dealer and expect them delivered any day now. They’ll get the same treatment when I install them.

This is an awesome forum...the only issue my wife and I have noticed with our new 2020 Bambi fb was the translucent panel on the port side coming loose. I keep tightening the hex screws but it keeps coming loose. Now I know what to do. Thank you davincent and everyone else. I love my airstream community.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:45 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
West Valley City , Utah
Falling Pannels

I tried many things for the falling plexiglass panels.they just don't handle road vibration. I tried to unsrew the set screws and put a dob of silicone then put the screw back. Where that did hold the bracket screw that went into the cabinetry pulled loose from the wood.
I have removed the panels as they are just frustrating me and will cause worse damage next time they come out.
We actually find it to be a big improvement.. The trailer really feels more roomy without them. I simply placed the screws back in the holes in the walls. They blend. Or they could be reused if we decide to put up "something" like a shelf of decorating item. Without the partitions it is much easier to see the TV. I have replaced that with a bigger 24".
If anyone wants my brackets complete with the set screw let me know.
Rhuffer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
A big part of the issue is that the panels are suspended instead of resting on the bottom mounts. This let’s gravity help move them when bouncing down the road. A small block of wood (painted to make it look nice) under the bottom two mount points is a good start. Also, drilling small holes at the pressure point of the fastener helps hold the plexiglass in place. Combined, those two adjustments should hold the panels securely.

That said, I do like the look with them fully removed better.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Beaconsfield , Quebec
Mine have also come loose and was acknowledge by the Airstream dealer that this is an issue with the 22FB sport. I have also taken them off and found the increase in roominess great, but you do lose the bedroom feel with the panels out.

I did notice that the set screws were not all the same length and were in some cases not long enough. I reduced the space by sticking small under furniture felt pads on the flat side of the U shape brackets (versus the set screw side), not too thick to still allow the panels to slide in the bracket and still use the set screws to tighten. This solved the problem, no loose panels and they still remain removable.
duboismjjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:52 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
That's a great idea. What in the world would we do without a roll of velcro!
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote