Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
2016 FB22 Plastic panels coming loose.

I've not seen anything mentioned here on the forum regarding the translucent panels that separate the galley from the bedroom area on this model trailer. The panels are held in place by 10mm 1.5 set screws. Replacements for these are impossible to find (checking all major hardware stores, and special fastener outlets etc). I have replaced those that have fallen out and that I could find rolling around on the floor of the trailer when cleaning. I've replaced them using both "blue and red" lochtight to no avail. There is so little thread area. By the time you have them screwed in tightly you have almost run out of thread.

With that said:
1. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what was your remedy?
2. Options, any suggested options to coming up with a replacement.

I've also been thinking of replacing the panels with wood trim. Perhaps a nicely finished wood panel with a nice grain pattern. Only draw back I see is that it might tend to darken the trailer someone due to the fact of the reduced light coming thru the bedroom area windows.

I've attached a picture of the panels that I am referring to. They are located just to the right side of the sink:

Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Could you add a "shim" between where the screw contacts the plastic and the end of the screw? I haven't looked that closely at ours on our 2011, but they seem to be well attached. I think there are some on here that have removed or otherwise replaced those entirely as part of their upgrades.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
Could you add a "shim" between where the screw contacts the plastic and the end of the screw? I haven't looked that closely at ours on our 2011, but they seem to be well attached. I think there are some on here that have removed or otherwise replaced those entirely as part of their upgrades.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've thought about using shims and I'll probably do that until I can come up with a better solution. Problem is that I've lost some of the setscrews and they have escaped to unknown areas of the trailer. I am having absolutely "no luck" finding replacements. I guess that I will have to contact the AS factory to try and order replacements....that is...if I decide to keep the existing setup.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
For the shim consider putting double sided vhb tape in there. The stickyness should help prevent set screw from twisting back out.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
isn't your 22 still under warranty? just have them replace them. Also hardware store, especially the bigger one, never carry that type of screws. For specialized or hard to find hardware go to mcmaster.
https://www.mcmaster.com/
lifeisfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
those are std set screws, easy to find

i loosened mine and folded a piece of cardboard on eaither side.

no more wiggle, noise or looseneing
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
Hello,again today !

Yes, mine have come loose and also roll around on the floor, my shelf, on the right side also fell off. I rebuilt the shelf with a 10 inch length of aluminum angle , replacing the little angle clips...under the shelf. for the set screws I used an industrial contact glue, and shimmed with the small circular felt patches that are used to protect drawer and cabinet closers, sticky on one side,(True value hdw) attached to the plexi.....took a few tries but it worked...

Try an industrial Hardware supply for the set screws....
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
those are std set screws, easy to find

i loosened mine and folded a piece of cardboard on eaither side.

no more wiggle, noise or looseneing
Thanks for your reply. Regarding the set screws....perhaps that was one of the minor changes they made on the 2017 models as the 2016's the set screws are metric. I've taken one of them a number of places to find replacement and they always come up as metric.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlkershaw View Post
Yes, mine have come loose and also roll around on the floor, my shelf, on the right side also fell off. I rebuilt the shelf with a 10 inch length of aluminum angle , replacing the little angle clips...under the shelf. for the set screws I used an industrial contact glue, and shimmed with the small circular felt patches that are used to protect drawer and cabinet closers, sticky on one side,(True value hdw) attached to the plexi.....took a few tries but it worked...

Try an industrial Hardware supply for the set screws....
Thanks for your reply. I've tried the "industrial hardware supply store" and they don't care them. Special order....in "forever supply quantity".

Could you post a picture of the changes you made?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can get some 10x1.5 allen screws and nuts. Put the nut on the allen screw, then install the allen screw where the set screw was. Once it's good and snug, run the nut down to the metal frame, and snug it up. That should keep everything secured.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Grayslake , Illinois
OK, Just checked mine and the one on the street side is really loose. Multiple places are not even being held by their bolts. Thanks for preventing a possible disaster for me. Mine is still under warranty, so I be back at the dealer again with this new problem.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
My 2018 22FB shipped with 2 missing. Waiting on warranty shipment. Now I plan to seal the hex heads with silicon RTV and hope for the best. For now I slipped a piece of cardstock in the brackets missing screws. Love the open design of the panels but hate the execution of the final product.

I'll post how I finally get these to stay in place.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
This is a "update" to prior "posts/comments" that I've made on this subject.
After several months of "fighting" the plastic panels....ie keeping them in place and tightened I pulled the panel near the sink "off". At the time we were camping on Flathead Lake here in Montana. I noticed that the panel had once again come out of two of the "stabilizers" that are mouthed on the side wall of the coach. So, I loosened the one remaining fastener that was mounted on the counter top beside the sink and removed the panel. Walla! I couldn't believe how removing the panel would "open up the interior" of the coach. The panel on the dinette side is still in place as is the privacy curtain however with the removal of the opposite panel the coach interior gives the impression it just "grew" by a foot or more. I really like the "new look".

Also, with the "privacy glass" thru out the coach you can completely open all the curtains and shades (daytime only) and fill the coach with light. You can still leave the shades open during the evening by "judicious" use of interior lighting so as to not loose one's privacy.

As I said above...."I really like the new look"
Old 08-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
I had to remove my sink-side panel to drill a large hole in it so I could mount the right angle section of my TV pole mount through it to the side of the cabinet above the sink. It was pretty straight forward all the way. I plan to mount one of the white-poly TACO dual cup holders to the opposite side panel (above the bedside shelf) as they do appear to have significant structural strength to support them.

For the whole I would just suggest a pre-trip check on the tightness of the set screws although I have yet to find one loose.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:10 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I think those panels provide some structural support during travel in addition to providing a way to isolate the bed area from the rest of the trailer during use.

I routinely checked and tightened the screws. We also used command hooks to hang stuff on them when parked.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Springboro , Ohio
I’ve had this happen as well. Anybody tried Teflon tape around the screws to add a thousandth or 2 to the diameter? I’ll let you know if I have good results.
Rubeyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
if the set screw comes loose, use thread lock.

two flavors blue and red

one can be removed the other one is set forever; don't use this type
these are very common in high vibration areas like motors and autos
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Taco poly dual cup/drink holders with center stash

This worked out really well for watching TV and the center stash is a great great place to keep track of the remote.

I used some 1” x 1/8” aluminum lathe to facilitate the mount with some stainless hex head bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A0313DD0-5B3C-40D8-A55A-C9A6E3586F01.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	321951   Click image for larger version

Name:	BDCF8755-883B-4732-801B-8803A75761C1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	321952  

Click image for larger version

Name:	9432D79F-B41A-4F77-AEA0-ED30641BAFD2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	321956  
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
This is a "update" to prior "posts/comments" that I've made on this subject.
After several months of "fighting" the plastic panels....ie keeping them in place and tightened I pulled the panel near the sink "off". At the time we were camping on Flathead Lake here in Montana. I noticed that the panel had once again come out of two of the "stabilizers" that are mouthed on the side wall of the coach. So, I loosened the one remaining fastener that was mounted on the counter top beside the sink and removed the panel. Walla! I couldn't believe how removing the panel would "open up the interior" of the coach. The panel on the dinette side is still in place as is the privacy curtain however with the removal of the opposite panel the coach interior gives the impression it just "grew" by a foot or more. I really like the "new look".

Also, with the "privacy glass" thru out the coach you can completely open all the curtains and shades (daytime only) and fill the coach with light. You can still leave the shades open during the evening by "judicious" use of interior lighting so as to not loose one's privacy.

As I said above...."I really like the new look"
I wondered if anyone has done this and liked the look. I guess the downside might be splashing into the bedroom area from the sink. Any problems with that so far?
PattyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:10 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyAnn View Post
I wondered if anyone has done this and liked the look. I guess the downside might be splashing into the bedroom area from the sink. Any problems with that so far?
It’s been awhile since I removed the panels and after a number of days spent in the trailer I’ve had no problems. Last year we had a bad issue with the faucet accidentally turning on when we closed the sink lid. That taught us a “sloppy lesson”...therefore we are very cautious when using the sink.

My son just bought a 28’ International Signature. It’s beautiful and very open inside. I measured the difference between that two coaches...his is exactly one foot wider. However, the look inside the smaller Sport looks much more open with the panel removed on the “sink” side.

Someone made a comment that the panels were an integral part of the interior structure however just looking at the construction one can see there’s no way this to be true.