Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2006, 05:27 PM   #201
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Travel Distance

First of all: a hearty RIVETTE welcome to Rivette! No more lurking now, just join in - the more the merrier!

Vickie, caravanning is a possibility. I'll give this some serious thought and see what I can come up with. Also, I feel some guilt over not sharing a trip w/Ike. I've only once gone with a group of women for a wknd. just last year. We've just always gone together. ( BTW - he would NEVER deny me anything I wanted to do) Sounds like a kid being readied for the first time away at camp. Holy cow.....it IS!!

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:57 PM   #202
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
". . . Also, I feel some guilt over not sharing a trip w/Ike. . . We've just always gone together. . ."

Suz, I'm having the same struggle. I love the idea of getting out on my own because I never have, and honestly, I guess I'm ready to prove myself to myself in this way. Like you and Ike, Max and I have never done the 'separate vacations' thing, but have always made and shared all our plans together (43 years this week!). So, this Rivettes Rally seems exciting, but very strange to me. Max wouldn't dream of suggesting that I shouldn't do this if I decide to, but just the same, . . . I'm working on my mental/emotional side over this whole idea! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #203
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Match Game

There is always the possibility of having the rivet shavers fly or drive up (down) and spend a few days before you head home or hit another spot or two and travel home or to other parts together. It can be a real time saver and a treat that they can waltz in after you have done all the set-up work that they normally have to take care of.

I like Sharon's idea of popping up places and times and going for a match. Besides Missouri I am in for Michigan and Virginia. I am thinking spring because I am anxious. I think Vicki mentioned Pennwood the Airstream Park in Pennsylvania, if that is another destination I would want to get over to Sharons and PEI if I can swing it.

Guilty pleasures, Georgia and Suz, well, but think of all you will have to share when you get back. If it doesn't work out, you hitch up and head back home sooner or your knight can come call for you. I think once you are truely out there though you will be so busy experiencing new situations and emotions that a phone call or three a day may surfice.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:43 PM   #204
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Guilty pleasures, Georgia and Suz, well, but think of all you will have to share when you get back. If it doesn't work out, you hitch up and head back home sooner or your knight can come call for you. I think once you are truely out there though you will be so busy experiencing new situations and emotions that a phone call or three a day may surfice.
Very nicely put, Carol. Starting out slowly might help too. Work your way up to something longer as you go. That's how I will approach it.

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #205
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Sharon I did try Skype and with the free downloadable software and only the laptop mike and speakers and I was thrilled at the great quality of the call. I only tried it out once though.

photography
Old 10-25-2006, 06:21 PM   #206
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
The most I could manage in May is a long weekend, so Missouri is probably out for me, at least for May. I think I might be able to make it to Virginia in May if anyone is interested in that. Could that be a follow-up to Branson?

Just thinking out loud...

-Jamie
If you have nothing going on in May, you are welcome to join the NEU at our "Maintenance Rally" in RI the first w/e in May. Myboyburt and I have some ideas of activities for children which include may pole activities and perhaps hat making.

And, of course, all the women are invited!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:47 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
If you have nothing going on in May, you are welcome to join the NEU at our "Maintenance Rally" in RI the first w/e in May. Myboyburt and I have some ideas of activities for children which include may pole activities and perhaps hat making.

And, of course, all the women are invited!
Thanks for the invite. It's not that I don't have plenty to do in May, I'm just trying to find a way to hook up with some of the great women on the forum, and gain some quality time with the Bambi whilst I learn the ropes of towing it myself and hear and learn from the experiences of others who're already doing it! I haven't ruled out doing other local events if I can work them in too, especially that spring maintenance rally.

So, Yuki, are you up for a women's rally in May? How 'bout Myboyburt? A caravan maybe?

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 10-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #208
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Oh my this is getting exciting - how on earth am I going to get through this winter waiting.

Have a basement project to finish and then we are onto working on the overlander. Have to replace the floor. I also want all the interior panels off and the insulation replaced - a huge source for the "old" trailer smell.

Yes we have to work in the cold winter but it does not take much to heat it while we are working on it. And that basement project is building an indoor workshop - so that we can work on all the restoration items indoors in the warmth - real warmth.

I think heading southeast to Boston area is a good start. maybe with a little detour to meet up with Diane from PEI. Maybe Carol would head out from our place a few days earlier to hook up with Diane in PEI and then meet up with Jamie in Boston area which I could travel to solo. Then four of us could head out to Virginia and on to Missouri. If Carol is heading home by then - I would consider tagging along and head home through Michigan.

Can I do all that in 2-3 weeks??? maybe maybe not but I sure would like to try.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:21 PM   #209
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
You want a vacation with plenty to do?

We'll give you a vacation with plenty to do.

Wow Yuki, RI is another perfect stop for an East Coast Tour. I certainly am wishing and hoping for that to happen. Thanks for the invitation. Just for clarification will the maintanence rally be open to non WBCCI members as well? It would be great meeting you too. I met Michelle in Salem.

That's the spirit Sharon. I would like to see more and do more too. I think 2-3 weeks is a great time frame. And we can join up with those out for a shorter term or even the weekend here and there.

photography
Old 10-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #210
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
So, Yuki, are you up for a women's rally in May? How 'bout Myboyburt? A caravan maybe?
Camping?
Did I hear someone say camping?
I'm always up for camping!

Seriously, I've also been lurking around this thread and its "sister" thread that was recently "retired". I haven't had much to say until my *shameless* rally plug above ...
...but I am watching to see what's cooking.

Once the plans are set, I wil check my schedule to see if it works!

P.S.
I also want to learn fly-fishing and went as far as purchasing all the gear this year but never had the opportunity to try it.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:59 PM   #211
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Did someone say fly fishing? I love fly fishing! I was tempted in Yellowstone. It was quite cold. There were a few sturdy souls standing in the water! I hope they had long johns on.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:17 PM   #212
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Thanks for the invite. It's not that I don't have plenty to do in May, I'm just trying to find a way to hook up with some of the great women on the forum, and gain some quality time with the Bambi whilst I learn the ropes of towing it myself and hear and learn from the experiences of others who're already doing it! I haven't ruled out doing other local events if I can work them in too, especially that spring maintenance rally.

-Jamie
I would love to try. I have *never* towed our Airstream on a public road or highway. I have "people" for that (meaning Leon). I need to work on hitching up the camper to the truck (c**p, we own a Hensley), towing and backing up into campsites.

I remember the very first time I saw Yuki (had not met). It was at the 2004 Region 1 Rally. Being very generous souls she and her husband had towed both their vintage and newer Airstreams to the rally so that a long time, retired from trailering NEU couple could attend by staying in their 2002 Bambi. Her hubby had gotten there first and was taking us around, introducing us to NEU members. He said to us "oh, Nancy is arriving" and then I see Yuki coming in: BIG, extended cab truck pulling a 19' camper. The parking crew were on bikes leading the way with kids all over the campground roads and rigs packed in tight. She got to her assigned space and backed that rig up, into the slot and hit the "marker" for hitch placement in one try.

Some day I will do the same. Thanks for the inspiration Yuki.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:22 PM   #213
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Wow Yuki, RI is another perfect stop for an East Coast Tour. I certainly am wishing and hoping for that to happen. Thanks for the invitation. Just for clarification will the maintanence rally be open to non WBCCI members as well?
The maintenance rally is open to anyone who comes with an Airstream. The rally field (with w/e hookups) holds between 40 - 50 rigs so there is plenty of room for everyone. Michelle and I will keep everyone posted once we iron out all the details but I can share a few details in advance.

We are planning a Saturday night auction of items rally attendees would like to donate. Over59 has graciously agreed to be the auctioneer so it should be a blast. We plan on donating the auction proceeds to a local RI charity. There will also be a flamingo decorating event where everyone decorates their flamingos. First prize will be a copy of Don Featherstone's "The Original Pink Flamingos" book. And don't worry if you don't have any flamingos to decorate because each rig that attends the rally will receive a set of signed Don Featherstone flamingos! There's plenty of time to start planning how you will decorate your flamingos!

Naked flamingos will be frowned upon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flamingo flock.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	27495  

Old 10-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #214
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
We have a local all women trailer camping group called "B*tches with Hitches". All are women who tow trailers...truly independent women with a funny name!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #215
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
How would I get in touch with that group?

They sound like they might be fun and I'm local!

Thanks,
Laurel
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:33 PM   #216
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Naked flamingos will be frowned upon.
My flamingos will not be naked, just nearly naked. I'm going to add bow-ties to each one and call them the Chippendale Dancers...... Truly a woman's rally decoration.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:25 AM   #217
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Lurking? No need to to lurk, just come on in. We're all friends here. Welcome aboard Yuki & Myboyburt!

Quote:
...but I am watching to see what's cooking.
Cooking? Yeah, we probably can to do that too, but towing is the name of the game here.

Quote:
P.S.
I also want to learn fly-fishing and went as far as purchasing all the gear this year but never had the opportunity to try it.
Oh, be still my beating heart! Another gal who wants to learn to fly-fish, and right here in my neighborhood! Maybe we can find a place in Maine for a lady's fly-fishing weekend. I hear it's a good place for it. Anyone else up for fly-fishing in Maine sometime?
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 10-26-2006, 04:33 AM   #218
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
I would love to try. I have *never* towed our Airstream on a public road or highway. I have "people" for that (meaning Leon). I need to work on hitching up the camper to the truck (c**p, we own a Hensley), towing and backing up into campsites.

Some day I will do the same. Thanks for the inspiration Yuki.
I should probably fess up that it was actually Leon who helped make my first solo trip a success by backing my Bambi into my rally site next to a big tree at Aluminations. And he was kind of enough to tell me "Hey, it was nothin' you couldn't have done yourself. I was just bein' a neighbor." Just the right words for a gal who's tryin'. Thanks, Leon! Next time I'll give it a go myself. gulp!
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 10-26-2006, 05:11 AM   #219
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Cooking? Yeah, we probably can to do that too, but towing is the name of the game here.
Oh, I wasn't talking about "cooking" in the true definition of the word (In hindsight, I should have put that word in quotes). What I meant with that statement was I was just waiting to see what your final plans will be.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:14 AM   #220
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Oh, I wasn't talking about "cooking" in the true definition of the word (In hindsight, I should have put that word in quotes). What I meant with that statement was I was just waiting to see what your final plans will be.
Just joshin' wit cha. I couldn't resist the pun.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650