Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Where to recertify tanks?

OK it is my understanding from reading here that you can get the Aluminum tanks refitted with the new OPD valve and have them restamped. Who does this? I tried our locale propane gas dealer and they said they don't do it. Who else would I try. We bought the new valves already. Is this something that Harold can install himself? Or should this be left to a professional? Don't want to blow us us!

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Valves can be installed by individuals, though you should check the Internet to locate an appropriate goop. (You did make sure that the valves are proper for aluminum cylinders, right? Ones for steel tanks are shaped a bit differently, and it matters.) The most difficult part, in my experience, is removing the old valve because it's a bit challenging to keep the cylinder stationary.

Recertification requires the appropriate licensing in most states. (It goes without saying that your cylinders have to be in decent shape for this.) Get in the yellow pages and locate a dealer (not just a filler) that can handle it. Standard visual recertification wins you five more years of service. There's nothing special about aluminum cylinders for the recertification process.

Or hitch up, travel to New Mexico, and I'll get my dealer to recertify your cylinders.

Lynn
Old 05-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I wanted numeric stamps to be applied, the way you can see on Co2 cyclinders that easily track the cylinder back to the 1920's and 30's (yes, and they tell me some cylinders go back to the late 1800's)...

So I drove to the regional base of a statewide propane supplier - and saw an hourly employee grab a standard engraving needle and do a chop 'buzz' engraving freehand for my efforts and looks horrible and essentially ruined to 'look' of my aluminum tanks.

Be very specific with your questions on getting the tanks 'stamped' with the proper method before trusting them to go out of your sight...
Old 05-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
arcadia , Florida
Try a GOOD welding supply dealer. They can recertify and install the valve but it's not cheap
ourladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
full service

Check your area for a full service propane dealer. They usually have a shop there that can inspect and recertify your tanks. They can also do the valves for you. It may not be cheap, but it is safe.
Sometimes it is cheaper to replace a small steel tank rather than recertify and convert to the OPD valves. Of course the aluminum tanks are another story.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
I tried our local propane distributor, no luck, then I call ABCO welding and Gas Supplies, Explained what I had for tanks and they said sure bring them in with the valves and they would install the new valves and recertify the tanks. Will be dropping them off tomorrow.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I had my tanks recertified,$55.00 ea [valve and filled with propane] they did the engraver on them.I brought them home stamped in all the same #`s,them sanded off their scribbles .They look pretty good now. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote