Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
WBCCI Feb. Presidents message

Posted below is the President's message for Feb. that just came by E mail.
I assume it is ok to copy it here. If not I am sure someone will let me know

Dear WBCCI Member,

Linda and I successfully escaped from NE Iowa earlier this month between winter storms. Due to single digit temperatures, the trailer and truck loading process was not as orderly as I had planned, but all the "must go" things made it, I think. About Kansas City the Ford engine started to run roughly. I continued south. With the aid of a cell phone we located a repair shop in Derby, Kansas, just south of Wichita. We spent two nights dry camping in a Church parking lot while the Ford was being repaired. Thank goodness for two new Interstate batteries. About the time the Ford was ready, both propane tanks were empty. Currently we are at NTAC in Hillsboro, Texas, recuperating and preparing for a much shorter trip to Robstown in about a week.

For the first item of business this month, I am able to tell you that the WBCCI Mail Trailer has been sold for $13,500. It's a bit sad to see it go, for the Mail Trailer was always a welcome sight at the International Convention/Rally in years past. However, the last time it was used was at Perry, Georgia in 2007. It became very expensive to transport to and from rally sites, and really unnecessary when the host facility normally has space for our Mail Service Committee. The buyer's check has cleared, and the trailer will be prepared for shipment to Japan. Myron Fischer, Past International Treasurer, is to be congratulated for assisting the Club with this sale. Job well done.

Speaking of trailers, First Lady Linda spotted an article in the Feb - Mar 2011 issue of Country Woman magazine, titled "Ants on the Pants". Sarah Calhoun started her own company to provide "durable work pants that fit women's curves". She had grown tired of trying to modify men's work jeans to fit, when working on her parents' llama farm as a girl. She has a regular store front in White Sulphur Springs, Montana, but also markets her pants (with an ant logo), at pants parties across the U.S. and into Ontario. What does Sarah use for travel? A 1964 Airstream!

Here's an item from Richard Jirus, the WBCCI Legislative Standing Committee Chairman. The U.S. National Park Service has announced that there will be seventeen "free" days at all National parks and monuments in 2011. The first is in conjunction with Martin Luther King Day on January 15 through January 17. The second period is to commemorate National Park Week from April 16 through April 24. The first day of summer will also be free, June 21. The next period is National Public Lands Day, and will be observed on September 24. The last free period will be the week ending that also marks Veteran's Day, November 11 through November 13. All entry fees are waived on these days. In addition, the Park Service intends to have special programs on those free days to also emphasize these special days.

At last count, 101 members have registered for the Mid-Winter IBT Meeting at Robstown, Texas. It is a brand new camping facility - we may be the first to use it. If you can make it, please contact Jerry Larson to register. We have room for more!

Registrations continue to steadily increase for the 54th International Convention/Rally in Du Quoin, Illinois, scheduled for June 28 - July 4, 2011. We now have 457 members who are registered to come to the Land of Lincoln. The Du Quoin State Fairgrounds will be beautiful in June, flowers will be blooming, race horses pulling sulkies will be training, and we will be providing our own additional Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.

Last, some of you may be aware of an AirForum posting which expressed concern with processing of a proposed Constitutional amendment initiated by the Denver Colorado Unit. In addition, two associated motions have been initiated by Region 11 - one revises the other. It is a complicated issue. Interpretations of the Constitution, Article XVI, Sections 1, 2 and 3 have been made by the Club Parliamentarian and the Chairman of the Constitution and Bylaws Standing Committee, but both have been rejected by the Denver Colorado Unit President and others. I am preparing a detailed paper which is intended to move this issue forward to its conclusion. I will attempt to summarize the misunderstandings and problems which have arisen as a result. It will be ready before the end of the week. I do want to be very clear on one initial point. The oath of office administered to me, to the members of the Executive Committee and to the new Region Presidents requires us to enforce the WBCCI Constitution. We are honor bound so to do. Furthermore, there is no provision known to me that allows me, the members of the Executive Committee or the full International Board of Trustees, which includes all Region Presidents, to waive, change or ignore Constitutional requirements.

Safe Travels,

Norm Beu

President, WBCCI

END OF Message

It looks like the meat of this is in the last several paragraphs, Particularly the last one.
I have my own interpretation of this but leave it for others to decide
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Rick,

Thank you for posting the message. Perhaps someone can interpret the last paragraph for me. I don't know what it means.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Rick,

Thank you for posting the message. Perhaps someone can interpret the last paragraph for me. I don't know what it means.

Bill
I am pretty sure it means he is putting together a long winded explanation as to why the Constitution and bylaws mean what they want them to and that initiatives by mere members to have a voice are futile.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Rodney,

Thanks, that is kinda what I thought also.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
I am pretty sure it means he is putting together a long winded explanation as to why the Constitution and bylaws mean what they want them to and that initiatives by mere members to have a voice are futile.
Just my personal opinion

Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Rodney,

Thanks, that is kinda what I thought also.

Bill
I don't know that is what it means, but who ever heard of a long explanation being needed to do the right thing?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1971 27' Overlander
2004 25' Safari
Jourdanton , Texas
I would have to agree with Rodney's view.
Jim
Prickly Pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If, in fact, the interpretation of the Constitution by President Beu et al is accurate, and reflects past practice, it is stunning that they have allowed the Motion to get to this point over the past year without someone having the courtesy to advise the Region 11 President and Unit Presidents of a procedural error.

Maggie
Old 01-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Not at all, it seems to be the established practice to wait until the last moment to bring up a procedural error. It has happened twice that I am aware of. Once regarding proxy or expanded definition of associate member to allow units without a member in attendance at the international to vote and once concerning changing the dates of the IBT seminar and meetings to be inside the official rally dates. The makers of these motions were ambushed at the last minute.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
If, in fact, the interpretation of the Constitution by President Beu et al is accurate, and reflects past practice, it is stunning that they have allowed the Motion to get to this point over the past year without someone having the courtesy to advise the Region 11 President and Unit Presidents of a procedural error.

Maggie
Just my personal opinion

Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
If the US Constitution can be changed or amended why can't ours? As a region officer I know said.....the Blue Book needs to be thrown out and replaced, it would be easier. We have 50 years of bureaucracy and bloating that needs to be thrown out, re written and streamlined for todays world. The Blue Book has bloated to the peak of the club, the mid 70's when we had 30? 40? thousand members? of a different lifestyle......and now we seem to be stuck with it......and less than 6000 members.......
just my opinion
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Dan, I believe that's already been done!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ok, if there was some procedural error (I don't think there was, but leave that aside), then we simply move forward using their prescribed procedure to propose Forrest's change to the Constitution. Sure, it would be an unwanted setback, but ultimately it amounts to a slow-down, not a halt. Progress grinds its way forward.

Lynn
Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Lynn,

I believe that the chair stated that there were procedural errors, but I don't believe that he stated what they were. Therefore it is difficult to correct them. In addition, he stated that he did not believe that the motion was necessary. That being the case, it will be difficult to continue the motion if the powers do not believe that it is necessary.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Ok, if there was some procedural error (I don't think there was, but leave that aside), then we simply move forward using their prescribed procedure to propose Forrest's change to the Constitution. Sure, it would be an unwanted setback, but ultimately it amounts to a slow-down, not a halt. Progress grinds its way forward.

Lynn
Just my personal opinion

Old 01-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Bill, a ruling based on "necessity" is an odd one, not one that would likely come into play: It is an opinon about a proposal rather than a ruling about its constitutionality. A procedural error (if there was one) is serious, but correctable.

Lynn

Quote:
Lynn,

I believe that the chair stated that there were procedural errors, but I don't believe that he stated what they were. Therefore it is difficult to correct them. In addition, he stated that he did not believe that the motion was necessary. That being the case, it will be difficult to continue the motion if the powers do not believe that it is necessary.

Bill
Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Lynn,

I agree about the procedural error, correctable if you know what the error is.

Refusal to forward the motion because you disagree with the necessity is harder to overcome. That is what courts are for. Not that I want to go there.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Bill, a ruling based on "necessity" is an odd one, not one that would likely come into play: It is an opinon about a proposal rather than a ruling about its constitutionality. A procedural error (if there was one) is serious, but correctable.

Lynn
Just my personal opinion

Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
I don't know what the error is (and really don't think there was one), but it's not something that can be held secret.

As for the other, my question would be whether rendering an opinion about the "necessity" of a proposal is even within the purview of the committee. In any event, it would not be a basis for refusing to consider a proposal, but rather basis for the written evaluation of the proposal, at best (as per Article XVI, Sec. 3):
Quote:
A copy of any proposal to amend the Constitution pursuant to the provisions of this article shall be submitted by Headquarters to the Constitution and Bylaws Committee prior to being submitted to the Unit Presidents. The Constitution and Bylaws Committee shall provide Headquarters with a written report containing its recommendations(s) regarding the proposed amendment(s) by March 20. Headquarters shall submit copies of this Constitution and Bylaws Committee report to the Unit Presidents with the copies of the proposed amendment(s) distributed in accordance with Sections 1 and 2 of this article. (6/30/93)

Lynn

Quote:
Lynn,

I agree about the procedural error, correctable if you know what the error is.

Refusal to forward the motion because you disagree with the necessity is harder to overcome. That is what courts are for. Not that I want to go there.

Bill
Old 01-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Oh, I just looked some more. There is a section of the Blue Book dealing with rendering a judgment of "necessity" on changes to the Constitution. However, that section seems to be somewhat in conflict with the section I quoted above, viz., the requirement that the committee render a written evaluation of a proposal.

Lynn
Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Ok, what am I missing here. The whole point of this method of making a motion, is to circumvent having to have the motion "approved" to go to the delegates by the IBT. The will of the people if you will. So, if something is wrong with it, are they not obligated to explain why? and if there is in fact nothing wrong with it.......they have no right whatsoever to stop it.....again the whole point of using that method right?
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
Ok, what am I missing here. The whole point of this method of making a motion, is to circumvent having to have the motion "approved" to go to the delegates by the IBT. The will of the people if you will. So, if something is wrong with it, are they not obligated to explain why? and if there is in fact nothing wrong with it.......they have no right whatsoever to stop it.....again the whole point of using that method right?
Pretty much, but the current constitution includes that section indicating that the proposal has to go through the C&BLC before it's sent out to everybody else. If I read it correctly, that part of the constitution was amended in 1993, though heaven knows how or what it was like before that point.

Lynn
Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It seems very subject to interpretation, to me, and not terribly artfully clearly concisely worded.

Maggie
Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
President's latest message

The following was just released via President Beu's Constant Contact:

Friends

In my January International President’s Newsletter, distributed to the membership via Constant Contact, I touched on the subject of the Denver Colorado (DenCo) Unit proposal to amend the WBCCI Constitution. As I see it, there are two discussion topics – the proposal itself, and the processing of that proposal. None of what follows deals with the merits of the proposed amendment.

In my attempt to explain what the Blue Book says and to discuss all the related misunderstandings and issues, my position paper became 4+ pages. Too long. I’ll see if I can develop a shorter, clearer version. Here goes.

The WBCCI Constitution, Article XVI, is unchanged since at least 1993, and it describes two methods to amend the Constitution. Those who propose amendments must choose one method or the other.

Section 1 of the Article states in part that, “When two-thirds of the club’s chartered Units have ratified the proposed amendment(s) by majority votes according to their Constitution and Bylaws and the Unit Presidents have so certified to Headquarters, such amendment(s) shall be deemed to be adopted.” Up to one year is allowed for this process. This method uses votes from each of the chartered Units. Headquarters keeps the tally. Neither the International Board of Trustees (IBT) nor the Delegates are part of this process. I believe this method is the more complicated of the two. It may be for this reason that in our Club’s 50+ year history, the WBCCI Constitution has never been amended using Article XVI, Section 1 procedures.

Section 2 states in part that, “Amendments to this Constitution may also be adopted by a two-thirds vote of the members represented by Delegates present and voting at the annual Delegates Meeting voting in accordance with Article XII of the Constitution.” All amendments to the WBCCI Constitution have used Section 2 procedures.

I accept the contention that DenCo’s work was done in good faith. I apologize to the DenCo Unit if incorrect information was provided to them. At this point, I don’t know who said what to whom. It is my understanding that all units, except Wyoming, in Region 11 have voted on the proposal. Letters have been written, effort has been expended, and time has passed. I accept all of that. I also agree that the Article should be rewritten for clarity. That is why on December 14, I asked Dona Garner, Club Parliamentarian and Chairman of the Blue Book Revision Committee, to add Article XVI to that Committee’s tasks.

I believe that the initial DenCo proposal got off track by attempting to comply with processing requirements of both Sections 1 and 2. As mentioned above, one method or the other is to be used. For example, if the original intent was to get the proposed amendment before the Delegates at the annual June 30 meeting, then none of the letters of certification from all Units in the Club were required. But that process was begun. If the original intent was to obtain Unit votes over the allowed one year period, then Region and International Board action is not required. But the Region 11 Board voted last October.

So where are we today? I recently had a most useful email exchange with Patti Reed, the new Denver Colorado Unit President.

I have directed Cindy Reed, Corporate Manager to return the original proposal to her without action. Patti is of the opinion that the proposed amendment is now a Region 11 motion because it was accepted by all units in Region 11. Don Shafer, Chairman of the Constitution and Bylaws Committee, stated that the proposed amendment became a Region 11 motion when it was received a majority vote by the Region11 Board. Friends, it looks like we have agreement. What is currently on the table is Motion 5 (Revised), which is on the agenda for the 24-28 January, 2011 IBT Meeting in Robstown, Texas.

Safe Travels

Norm Beu President, WBCCI

Tags
2011, president's remarks, wbcci