Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #21
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
that's the reason i'll probably never join the WBCCI. it seems when i looked into it briefly awhile back, the consensus i got from reading the forums is that the WBCCI is simply not kid friendly (i don't have the details or info to back that up, it's just what i recall and a feeling i got from my research 7 months ago and it was enough to put me off).

David forget the forums on this issue call the local unit(s) in your area and find out what activities they have.

Also, never say never your the type of member we're looking for!

Old 07-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Hi Patrick! It was a pleasure meeting you all a couple of months back. So sorry you weren't able to attend our Fort Schuyler rally. I think you and Lauren would have had a great time -- I keep hearing everybody did.

I think the difference here, and it certainly is Colonial's right, is that I didn't sense from David that the WBCCI has any relevance in the sales process.

When the club was formed IHMO I believe it became a tool for Airstream. The club was certainly under the control of Wally and Helen. The WBCCI back then at least was the promise after the purchase.

I got the impression from David that the WBCCI was of little use in the sale of a trailer. Being in control of a sale is important. I can understand David not wanting WBCCI participation at a trade show in case the participation does anything but add to the prospects of a sale. It's tough to be in control of people that don't work for you.

I'd have to guess that David has had a bad experience with the WBCCI, or that dealers in general don't see the WBCCI as a significant sales tool. If I had to judge by the picture showing WBCCI leaders in the Wanderlust book I'd have to agree. I'm not sure what sales/marketing talent we have within the IBT, but to put that photo in that book probably kept hundreds from joining, if not thousands.

Everything in the club that revolves around official meetings and procedures is clearly a turn-off to the overwhelming majority that bought a trailer to go camping and having fun.

If someone is knowledgeable about the WBCCI though there are many aspects that can be sold to a couple or family buying a trailer both new and used.

The Caravans, the holy grail of the club, allow new retirees the opportunity to see North America safely and cheaply in the company of others. For not much more than the cost of gas, tolls, and entertainment costs, there simply isn't a better way to see it all with experienced caravan leaders.

Local rallies provide families weekend opportunities to camp locally with other Airstreamers, and with any luck, other families with kids the same age (if not Grandchildren).

If someone is coughing up the serious $$$ that a new Airstream costs, it's natural for somebody to want to meet and hang around with similar buyers of similar units even if it's only 2-3 times a year. What kind of value do you have to get out of $70 dues when you just spent $40K+ on a trailer to justify WBCCI membership? In comparison I'd say all you have to do is attend one worthwhile event a year and you've gotten your value.

We've had multiple members that said they've bought trailers and were never told about the club. To me -- it's pretty sad that the club is thought of so little that could actually happen. I guess with a 52 year old club though the chance of a bad experience with some bad leaders could be enough to temper somebodies attitude to keep an arm lengths distance instead of getting closer to one another.

If somebody is seriously interested in selling the club combined with somebody that is seriously interested in selling a trailer, I can't see how that wouldn't be a win-win situation.

The biggest step for an Airstream owner is to have the opportunity to meet another WBCCI member. Somebody that can introduce them to other members. The club becomes another reason to use the Airstream more. What's not to like?

__
I made a suggestion along these same lines to Don Shafer "I visited the local Airstream dealer recently and the only items I found concerning the WBCCI were a few stickers and pictures of prior International and other rallies. I think that WBCCI, and Airstream, are missing a great sales tool, that is "buy an Airstream and look at all of the places you can go and people you can meet on Caravans, Unit Rallies and Special Event Rallies", in addition look at all of the Airstreams which are over 25 years old (this shows the longevity of the product, for which Airstream asks so much for)."

His reply was as follows: "Airstream dealers are independent business people, not a sub organization of the Company. Some dealers are very interested in WBCCI, others, particularly new ones, don't understand. This is something Airstream lives with and attempts to solve, so do we. We do explore the dealer/unit relationship, and some are very successful."

It has been my experience that a salesman is willing to accept help from anyone if it helps make the sale. Perhaps WBCCI has no value in this sales process. This should stop.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 07-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #23
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Leo, you hit the nail very squarely on the head.

Very well put!

Old 07-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Special event rallies that forums can't pull off, caravans, Internationals, large groups of LOCAL members, courtesy parking. 140 units with roughly 1,000+ events to attend every year. Today you can find units that do all types of camping and a forums rally isn't for all of those folks either (although my style of camping fits right in-line with what forums rallies are).

$70 = MORE, MORE, MORE plus the sense of history, nostalgia, being part of a larger group with bigger and better events. Meeting and having access to a much larger community than forums rallies will ever provide. Remember a large contingent of forums members ARE WBCCI members. Take them away from forums rallies and I wonder what you have left?
I guess the problem would be that those things are not enough to pull people in. Regular working folks can't ordinarly go spend a month or so on Caravan, or weeks at special event rallys. I've been to special event rallys that went on all week and pulled up stakes by the weekend, just as working folks were showing up. Well, that's if there's a pay schedule for working folks who can only make it on the weekend. 1000+ events to attend? Sure, if you're out travelling the country all summer. It's no coincidence that most of the old members of the unit I was in are Schoolteachers. Who else has the summers off to be so involved?

As for the sense of history and nostalgia - that came for free with the trailer There are no bigger/better events in this part of the country. Want to go spend a week at LandLocked Harbor and have lunch at Hooters with the old folks at the Region rally? Fun! Want to go spend a week in the heat in a fairgrounds parking lot in Salem? No thanks, we had a great time at Silver Falls. Quantity does not make quality. I still see nothing worth my money in the WBCCI, and that's after three years of trying to encourage fun rallys. There was just no getting around the bureaucracy. And besides, folks like it the way it is.

2Air, I almost fell off my chair laughing - casket factories and prostate screenings?! So close to true, it's scary!

Old 07-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #25
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
There was just no getting around the bureaucracy.
Yes there is, that's why there's several threads in the WBCCI, are you reading what's being said?

Did you listen to the recordings from Perry?

Quote:
And besides, folks like it the way it is.
Not true that's why the vote was 3700 to 2400.

Us folks don't like it the way it is!

To read what your saying it sounds like what's wrong with the current leaders.

Close minded set in their ways.

Times are a changing with the WBCCI, there are enough that unlike youself do care and will try and make it happen!

PS: Stef, your own web site says

"It might not be perfect, but we still have the freedom to try and make it that way, and that's why it is still the greatest country in the world. So instead of saying 'if you don't like it, leave', I would say 'if you don't like it, speak up and work to make it better'. That's America."

If it works for Americia why can't it work for WBCCI

Old 07-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I guess the problem would be that those things are not enough to pull people in. Regular working folks can't ordinarly go spend a month or so on Caravan, or weeks at special event rallys. I've been to special event rallys that went on all week and pulled up stakes by the weekend, just as working folks were showing up. Well, that's if there's a pay schedule for working folks who can only make it on the weekend. 1000+ events to attend? Sure, if you're out travelling the country all summer. It's no coincidence that most of the old members of the unit I was in are Schoolteachers. Who else has the summers off to be so involved?

As for the sense of history and nostalgia - that came for free with the trailer There are no bigger/better events in this part of the country. Want to go spend a week at LandLocked Harbor and have lunch at Hooters with the old folks at the Region rally? Fun! Want to go spend a week in the heat in a fairgrounds parking lot in Salem? No thanks, we had a great time at Silver Falls. Quantity does not make quality. I still see nothing worth my money in the WBCCI, and that's after three years of trying to encourage fun rallys. There was just no getting around the bureaucracy. And besides, folks like it the way it is.

2Air, I almost fell off my chair laughing - casket factories and prostate screenings?! So close to true, it's scary!
Stephanie,

Last year, before the Salem International, you were commenting that it was too bad that the VAC open house was on Friday rather than Saturday or Sunday, when working people could visit. I invited you down on either day and said that I was sure I could find some trailers to look at and some owners to talk with. I am sorry if I missed you. I also sent an invitation with 2air when he left to go to Silver Falls, inviting you all over, I am sorry I missed you then also.

I am a poor working stiff and had to take my vacation to drive 900 miles in two days to make the VAC parade, a great event, and to meet all of my internet friends. I was able to meet 65GT, 2air, Buttercup, Myboyburt, Jbond, InsideOut and many others.

I am currently planning on attending Bozeman and will make the VAC parade there. Working stiffs can make these events, but it means using vacation days and not just weekend. I for one think that it is worth it.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #27
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Wbcci

What am I doing for the WBCCI?
Not one D____ Thing.
They thru me out after two years for not having an Airstream. Well I loved my Non Airstream and it is much better than my Real Airstream.
I go too run's with WBCCI club's that camp and have fun & forum rallies like Beverly Beach. Not WBCCI rallies were Kid's and young people are looked down on if allowed at all. Yes I'm 61 and will only see 65, but I like young people and there kids, after all they are the future.
Why should I fix there broken club. I don't need it, it need's MEMBERS!!!!
Airstream DOES NOT support WBCCI because it is draging Airstream down.
If you have time too beat your head against the wall, be my quest, but I'm going camping for the few years I have left.

Don
Old 07-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #28
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
If you don't care why are you posting in this thread?

I was looking for people to help not hinder.

Enjoy!

Old 07-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #29
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Wbcci

Because I can.

Don
Old 07-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #30
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
most units rely on luncheons primarily with 2 or 3 camping events near casket factories or state fairs,

with prostate screening or pull tab collecting as the high point.

lol, you rule.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Old 07-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
You should know that they were trying to work out last weekend pro-rated fees this year -- not sure how discount that became (if at all) and while I couldn't differentiate a Tuesday from a Saturday while I was in Perry I do believe the VAC open house went off on a Saturday this year.

__
The events seem to fall on the same day of the rally each year. That means that the VAC open house will be on Monday next year at Bozeman (everything skips a day as next year is leap year).

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
A got club info when I bought my trailer from Colonial. I also got a telephone call from a local unit.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #33
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Wbcci

65GT & VAN
Funny but true in both cases.
They thru me out and WBCCI has or rents a prostate testing unit that they had at both Home Comming and Salem.
No prostate cancer is not funny, just ask me.

Don
Old 07-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Lebanon , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Roadschooler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
What am I doing for the WBCCI?
Not one D____ Thing.
They thru me out after two years for not having an Airstream. Well I loved my Non Airstream and it is much better than my Real Airstream.
I go too run's with WBCCI club's that camp and have fun & forum rallies like Beverly Beach. Not WBCCI rallies were Kid's and young people are looked down on if allowed at all. Yes I'm 61 and will only see 65, but I like young people and there kids, after all they are the future.
Why should I fix there broken club. I don't need it, it need's MEMBERS!!!!
Airstream DOES NOT support WBCCI because it is draging Airstream down.
If you have time too beat your head against the wall, be my quest, but I'm going camping for the few years I have left.

Don
To quote a Newfie phrase.... "Proper d%m ting b'y"!

Gunny you are right, you should be able to enjoy the time you have left. Life is too short, and from what I can glean from your post, you know this only too well.

You are welcome to come and camp with us as our "buddy" anytime. We are young (40's and 50's) retired military and have kids. Anyplace we are should be lively.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience with WBCCI.

Thank you for your service to our country. Semper Fi
Old 07-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #35
_

. , .
keeping it lite folks...

gunny they wouldn't let me in 25 years ago with a classic moho...

just think i could have been a FAMOUS past first lady by now!

with 5 flag polls!

no prostate cancer isn't funny...

but i don't want wally or a caravan committee leading the search for this issue either.

lipets...

it's inevitable that posts from all angles will appear here on any topic...

and especially the wb.

IF YOU WANT LIMITED REPLIES take it too the wbcci website...

seldom is there much dissagreement on issues posted there ...

MOST on this forum site have little interest in the wb...

MANY on this forum are members or former members of the wb...

SOME are enthusiastic supporters of one or the other or both....

SEVERAL of us care about the wb in our own special ways...

FEW need what the wb currently offers...

YOU post here so lots of US will read it...

so accept the dialog

ya can't herd d' cats man....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #36
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
65GT & VAN
Funny but true in both cases.
They thru me out and WBCCI has or rents a prostate testing unit that they had at both Home Comming and Salem.
No prostate cancer is not funny, just ask me.

Don

Don, i certainly wasn't making fun of yours or anyone elses affliction. Merely a laugh at 2airs post.

As for the club, Steph about summed up my position as well. If the club was a more modern thing that had a direction that many here have spoken about i would certainly join.

Frankly, i am not interested in joining some crotchity, stodgy club and working from within to change it. The way the club is currently set up it would be a long uphill fight, challenging the old guard to change their preferred ways. If that means that this lack of participation from others like myself leads to the eventual demise of the club, so be it. It would be a sad thing but it would also be brought upon itself by a leadership that is so entrenched and concerned with maintaining the status quo that generally only appeals to an older generation. Perhaps then a more modern club could emerge from the aftermath.

I wish those of you luck who are going to attempt this overhaul of the club. Hopefully you can drag the WBCCI kicking and screaming into the twenty first century. I dont have the time or patience to do so.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Old 07-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #37
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Wbcci

ROADSCHOOLER
I will look you up next year. I'm on the left coast right now.
There are a few good units that I like camping with as I full time around the country, but WBCCI head shed needs too go.

Semper Fi

2air
I am looking forward too seeing you at Beverly Beach. Its been a year since our last visit at Silver Falls.
I knew they didn't like Argosy's but didn't about classic motorhomes. Cool, they really don't like my NEON (maybe thats why I love it so much) and my 5 flag mount with the wrong flags (you know US, Texas, Marine Corp, POW and the new Jolly Roger).

Don
Old 07-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Don, having been born and raised in Corpus Christi, TX. and proud of our military, I can't complain of your choice of flags.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
Old 07-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Lebanon , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Roadschooler
Cool Left Coast

We will hopefully be staying at Camp Pendleton in September, that's Left coast . Then NAS Pensacola the whole month of November. Hunting in October up North.

It's beautiful here in Western NC, we hope to have a Waterfall rally next year, but have a few really sweet campgrounds right around the corner, for small intimate "Airstream" gatherings too. Forums rally anyone?

Hang in there Gunny!
Old 07-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Bob----A thought or two for you and your wife's consideration as you work on member retention.

The reality is that those former members who have left the unit are gone forever. Not much can be done to entice them back. Spend you energy on the incoming new members and the returning long time members.

The great news is having 1000 new members each year with which we have a chance to make a strong, positive first impression. Focus on that. Focus on meeting & greeting these new members as soon as they join up. Spend some quality time with them, be their buddy at the first couple of unit events, and the unit will experience improved retention with the new members.

To improve retention among the rest of the membership, conduct an employee (member) survey. What are we doing right? If we were to change a couple of things to improve your membership experience, what would it be? Look for any consensus on what needs changing, develop a plan to address the top two items, give the membership feedback on what the unit said, and what the leadership is doing to address the top two concerns, and then implement the changes. Do this real fast. (Nothing dampens membership morale more than a long period of silence after the survey. Better not to ask, than raise their expectations followed by no feedback.) Then, follow up in a year or so with another survey on how are we doing with the implemention of their suggestions.
Closed Thread