Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #61

Mansfield , Ohio
Try Long Beach. They are still quite active. If they have the legendary type of WBCCI member, I have yet to meet them.

We have been associate members or 5-6 years.

Bob
Busnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Thank you for the many fine suggestions. Please remember I'm not upset but I am amused by the process so far. I will find a Unit. I am making it harder on myself by seeking a nearby unit now but if that does not work out I'll be calling wkerfoot. I have been impressed by his groups activities.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:55 PM   #63
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Goin Camping:

Please be aware that many Unit and Regional officers arrive early at International in mid June and frequently head off on a Caravan that departs directly from International in early July for a few weeks trip, so they may be on the road and out of touch for a month or more at a time. And because many of them are older and are retired, they are not as compulsive as us younger working folks are about staying connected via phone messages or the Internet. Heck, I never retrive any of my home phone messages when I'm away for a week or more -- when I'm gone, I'm GONE. Many of them are where I'd like to be, out on the road, perhaps temporarily out of touch, away from cares left behind -- just like the Airstream ads promise. So, it may just be that your timing in contacting them was not in sync with their Rallying and Caravanning schedules. Give them a little more time to return your call, as their clock speed is likely relaxingly slower than yours.

This situation simply shows the need for a back up system being in place.If some of the unit officers are on the road for an extended time ,my feeling is that there should still be someone else available to at least answer requests and questions.Whether it be another contact available or some use of email forwarded to other unit members,this is another example of a situation that seems small but can result in the loss of potential new members.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:02 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Good morning David! Your caps are killing me (caps = shouting). Have a nice day fishing...

__
I AM SCREAMING BUT NO ONE IS LISTENING. There, is that better? I caught a three pound bass last night and returned to the water healthy. It's poor lips looked like lace because it had been caught so many times.

Robin, I think you have made a great choice. this thread is proof of it. A person with your energy, skills, and willingness to work for the good of a community should probally look for a community that has need - like do a campfire at an assisted living home with the local 5th grade class cooking and serving - that sort of thing. I'm signing off from this thread, should not have been here in the first place. Gotta go talk about lug nuts, new recipes, mpg, and of course "fishing" oops I mean "FISHING"
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Is this thing on......ta...ttaaa...ttaa...tAAA....test 1.....test 2........

Ok the mic seems to be working now thanks for listening.

I've been following this thread as a newbie to Airstreaming and it reminds me of the same politics of many organizations I've been associated with over the years from Boy Scouts to College Fraternity to corporate politics....

When I first got serious about buying an Airstream about a year ago I thought the idea of WBCCI sounded like a lot of fun... I have a young family and we love camping and traveling so the mind share of the WBCCI seemed to fit, at least on the surface...I don't care if a large percentage of the members are older than I...besides I'm and old soul and typically relate better to people that are older than I am........ BUT, now that I've read more over the last several months, my perspective has changed. To an outsider it appears that the WBCCI is surrounded with a lot of negative energy, much like the deep divide of US politics. So what happened? Did the organization get too big for its own britches? Should I toss out the invitation to join and continue to blaze my own trail? Is the WBCCI FUBAR?
Is there anyone in this AS forum community that is a member of the Arizona unit?
ok...ok....ok...i think somebody turned off my mic I'll shut-up now...thanks for listening
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:04 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin

I've been following this thread as a newbie to Airstreaming and it reminds me of the same politics of many organizations I've been associated with over the years from Boy Scouts to College Fraternity to corporate politics....

When I first got serious about buying an Airstream about a year ago I thought the idea of WBCCI sounded like a lot of fun... I have a young family and we love camping and traveling so the mind share of the WBCCI seemed to fit, at least on the surface...I don't care if a large percentage of the members are older than I...besides I'm and old soul and typically relate better to people that are older than I am........ BUT, now that I've read more over the last several months, my perspective has changed. To an outsider it appears that the WBCCI is surrounded with a lot of negative energy, much like the deep divide of US politics. So what happened? Did the organization get too big for its own britches? Should I toss out the invitation to join and continue to blaze my own trail? Is the WBCCI FUBAR?
Is there anyone in this AS forum community that is a member of the Arizona unit?
ok...ok....ok...i think somebody turned off my mic I'll shut-up now...thanks for listening
I have been on the fence about WBCCI for a long time. I have had the same feeling you have had but as Judge Judy says it is all hearsay. I don’t mean I don’t believe that people have had problems it means I have to go find out for myself and make my own judgments. What bothers one person or how a person perceives a conversation or a comment is different for each of us. I am about as sensitive as a rock so not much will bother me. I am no youngster but I to like older people, I am still learning from them. I have a good friend who is 90 and his big worry in life is his 63 year old son. We are going to a Rally this weekend, I have let them know I will have my 12 year old and my dog with me, I also offered to share in the tasks and pay all my fees, no comments came back. My wife wants to check out the club, as she said if we don’t like it, we will know and have it behind us. I was tempted to say I will give a report back but I have decided that wouldn’t be fair to the Unit who is letting me attend their Rally, as the report would just be hearsay.

I suggest you get off the fence and go find out for yourself as everyone else’s experience is theirs.

Stop tapping on the mic.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:32 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
...I was tempted to say I will give a report back but I have decided that wouldn’t be fair to the Unit who is letting me attend their Rally, as the report would just be hearsay...
Actually, that isn't technically what "hearsay" is. Just to clarify -- hearsay is second-hand evidence, generally consisting of a rendering of what you heard someone else say about a situation. It is actually a fancy term for "gossip" or "rumor". If you are reporting on what you saw, and not mixing truths and untruths, then you are reporting first hand information which is not hearsay, gossip or rumor!

We would love to hear about your experience if you care to share your first hand experience with us.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:44 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Hearsay yukionna say

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Actually, that isn't technically what "hearsay" is. Just to clarify -- hearsay is second-hand evidence, generally consisting of a rendering of what you heard someone else say about a situation. It is actually a fancy term for "gossip" or "rumor". If you are reporting on what you saw, and not mixing truths and untruths, then you are reporting first hand information which is not hearsay, gossip or rumor!

We would love to hear about your experience if you care to share your first hand experience with us.

yokionnayour thanks for the clarification. I think if you pass on my report then it would become hearsay unless it is documented. No one would know if what I report it true or not. No one knows how my view on life may influence my report. If the report is documented via my email or written format it can then be attributed to the source, the validity of the information still could be suspect. We all should take all information in consideration and go make our own judgments. I have given my reason for not feeling a report is necessary. Who knows, after this weekend I may have so much fun I won’t be able to contain myself or something so horrendous could happen I would have to send out a Breaking News Alert.

Thanks Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:15 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
I believe the August Blue Beret will announce a formal effort on the part of WBCCI to provide an avenue for members to convey their perceptions, ideas, suggestions, and comments to the leadership.

The problems discussed in this thread, though, should really be dealt with on a more local level. As noted, these are rather typical of organizations in general. What WBCCI can do to help its local Units avoid or resolve these issues could be good feedback, especially in light of the verbiage directed at the top levels.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:14 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Time for Change

I don't believe that the club can change. It is a clash between two generations - the WWII / Korean War generation and the "Baby Boomers". The existing membership would like the next generation to take over and continue it the way it has been. Won't happen. There may be two airstream clubs in ten years from now - one dying, one growing. Being employed full time makes my free time precious. I don't have time for formality; I just want to have fun camping. Since the club belongs to the older generation, let them have their club the way they want it. I can't blame them for wanting that. But how many boomers do you think are going to wear blue berrets? How many boomers wear suits today in the workplace?

It's time for the boomers to start their own club.

Dave

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:35 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
formal effort of WBCCI to open an avenue for members to make comments/suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
I believe the August Blue Beret will announce a formal effort on the part of WBCCI to provide an avenue for members to convey their perceptions, ideas, suggestions, and comments to the leadership.
Good, that is way over due.

Actually, if the leadership is interested, they could tune into these Forums discussions. Persumeably some of the leaders are Forum members.
Has anyone ever heard any of the leaders make comments in the Forums??
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:03 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
ah...I guess I am sort of "one of them" ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Persumeably some of the leaders are Forum members.
Has anyone ever heard any of the leaders make comments in the Forums??
Leaders at what level?

There are many Unit officers that are forum members, several Regional and IntraClub officers and a few International officers and/or appointees. Keep in mind, the higher up the ranks you go, there are proportionately fewer "officers" to draw from. I KNOW there are several that at least lurk, if not post regularly.

We have their attention...so does the WBCCI forum. Postings in either place will be read.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:53 AM   #73
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird
I don't believe that the club can change. It is a clash between two generations - the WWII / Korean War generation and the "Baby Boomers". The existing membership would like the next generation to take over and continue it the way it has been. Won't happen. There may be two airstream clubs in ten years from now - one dying, one growing. Being employed full time makes my free time precious. I don't have time for formality; I just want to have fun camping. Since the club belongs to the older generation, let them have their club the way they want it. I can't blame them for wanting that. But how many boomers do you think are going to wear blue berrets? How many boomers wear suits today in the workplace? It's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird
time for the boomers to start their own club.
There will always be gaps between generations so I’m not sure the solution is to throw out the proverbial baby with the bath water every time there is a rift. Currently there is a gap between the WWII and baby boomer generations. I’ve seen a growing rift between the baby boomers and generation xers. In another thirty years, there will be a gap between the gen xers and the generation after them.

The generational differences are just cultural differences and not character flaws so, when viewed that way, there is hope for an organized change effort vs. giving up and throwing everything away. Understanding the cultural differences helps to understand the people which will provide insights on how to solve the issues at hand so we can continue to develop and grow our club together.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:46 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Leaders at what level?

There are many Unit officers that are forum members, several Regional and IntraClub officers and a few International officers and/or appointees. Keep in mind, the higher up the ranks you go, there are proportionately fewer "officers" to draw from. I KNOW there are several that at least lurk, if not post regularly.

We have their attention...so does the WBCCI forum. Postings in either place will be read.

Shari
I guess I would be considered a WBCCI leader (at the lowest possible level of the organization structure) as I'm the Corresponding Secretary and Membership Chairperson for the New England Unit. My husband is the Assistant Treasurer for the NEU too.

We are active members in the NEU, I think it would be fair to say we are very active so we have had many opportunities to interact with the difference generations of NEU/Airstream owners at our rallies and "express caravans". In the NEU the diversity of our Unit is what makes it work, what makes it interesting. The "elders" have learned (or are learning) to relax and look the other way in regards to the younger members not following the rules or protocol of the club and our younger members have learned (or are learning) to respect the efforts our older members put in the club and respect the history of the club. But mostly what makes the NEU work is everyone is welcomed and included - no matter what generation you are in.

I'd like to highlight some examples of success within the NEU but I've got to get "The Tube" packed up as we are heading out to a rally right after work. Oh, btw there is going to be a healthy mix of elders, baby boomers and generation X'ers in attendance - I'm really looking forward to it.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:29 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin

Hi,

I want to make it VERY CLEAR that I also find I relate to the older peope better in fact I'm a Geriatric Nurse Practitioner. I have devoted my life the the health care of older people.

When I came to the club 3 years ago it had a lot of older people 70+++ and in my opinion the club began it's decline when they left it! These people had gracious manners, they were kind, generous, relaxed about the club and seemed to understand what was important.

It was when they left I stopped enjoying the club. There are still a few who can still come but believe it or not they are the more supportive ones in my Unit. I also have found myself spending more time at International with the 80++ members and enjoying them more than some of the 65+++. We have as a generation lost our manners. The older of the old have been ignored in my club just like the young. I'm afraid we just have a few control freaks that can't let go.
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #76
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
We have as a generation lost our manners. The older of the old have been ignored in my club just like the young. I'm afraid we just have a few control freaks that can't let go.
I am afraid that you have described the situation to a tee. I guess it is the tone of American politics that perhaps is flavoring the way we treat one another. I wish we could hold a forum on manners. Everyone's ideas are important and should be heard without their having to suffer personal attacks.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
The Rules

I have been saying all along that if you have too many rules you have self appointed people without communication skills that will take it upon themselves to enforce them. The older generation come from a whole different lifetime. You bought things from local stores, most often your neighbor. If you were dissatisfied with the product and brought it back If it WAS you neighbor and maybe even a friend, you were much more careful about how you resolved your issue. In todays world we are disengaged. We often don't even know to whom we are speaking (sometimes it's not human it's a recording) and we don't know them and feel we can "tell them off" or whatever. As a result we have over time become much more aggressive as a society and lost basic manners. I believe a disengagment theory is out there somewhere on this subject.

The older generation are a dying breed with lovely manners and kind hearts. I don't know how they can keep going in such an unkind environment. It makes me nuts when I hear people complain about International. Those older folks are doing all the work and get nothing but complaints.

Robin

PS does this forum thing have spell check?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:52 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Did You Say Spell Chick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch

PS does this forum thing have spell check?
That would be Shari. She's a Moderator.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
You hit the nail on the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
...The older generation come from a whole different lifetime. You bought things from local stores, most often your neighbor. If you were dissatisfied with the product and brought it back If it WAS you neighbor and maybe even a friend, you were much more careful about how you resolved your issue. In todays world we are disengaged. We often don't even know to whom we are speaking (sometimes it's not human it's a recording) and we don't know them and feel we can "tell them off" or whatever. As a result we have over time become much more aggressive as a society and lost basic manners. ...The older generation are a dying breed with lovely manners and kind hearts...
I'd like to take this a step further. We have all seen from forum discussions that the generations that came after the WWII generation have less patience and tolerance for what they may see as meaningless tasks and rules set-up by the WWII folks (i.e., case in point -- the Blue Book). Rulebooks and task lists were/are important for the WWII generation but not so important for other generations. With technology and a faster moving society these days, the younger generation wants to just "get up and go" instead of laboring thru a rule book. There are pros and cons of both viewpoints and I'm sure there is a happy medium. Being the eternal optimist that I am, I think if the collective "we" (i.e., WWII and other generations) continue to work together (i.e., collaborate) on the club in a civilized manner, we will find that happy medium.

P.S.
I'm not from the WWII generation and it breaks my heart every time I encounter nasty and complaining people.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Rules

Right on Yukionna!

BTW We just had a downpour so I'm back inside from polishing the Caravel.

Anyway whatever it is I still believe I can create a Unit with limited rules. Because I don't believe the Regional oversight is very helpful or needed at this point I still think it will start as a MAL Unit.

The other thing my husband and I were talking about was how restrictive our camping has become. Because we were active members of this Unit we were told our Rallies should stay in a geographic area so other members could attend. Well again I joined the Club to travel. I was very impressed by the NEU Caravan to PA Amish Country.

I think a Unit that plans events other than the typical geographic rally might be more exciting for members.