Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
1000+Site Campgrounds?

Is there anything such as a 1000+ site campground in the USA? I was wondering if an International Rally could ever rent a very large campground and forget having the headache and expense of setting up water, electric and parking?

Maybe a dumb question...but, thought I'd ask.

Sounds pretty big actually and maybe doesn't exist.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
There are several in Myrtle Beach - one as large as 2800 or more site alone.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Disney - Fort Wilderness - Planned long enough in advance, I bet they could get great rates, tickets, and publicity.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
In Canada the Pinery PP has more than 1,000 sites.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
There are several in Myrtle Beach - one as large as 2800 or more site alone.
Check out Myrtle Beach Campgrounds, Myrtle Beach Camping - Ocean Lakes Family Campground and their rally facility.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I love the idea in concept...

but...I doubt it would fly for a couple of reasons:

Cost - Just look back through all the WBCCI posts here on the forum...one of the biggest complaints against the International Rally is cost. The Myrtle Beach location looks very nice...but the campsite fees alone are $55-62 per night during the summer, which would make it cost prohibitive for the International Rally where many early workers stay for a month or more.

Facilities - And there don't seem to be enough meeting-type rooms that I have seen utilized the last three Internationals, even the largest room isn't big enough - so that means additional off-site facilities would be required at an added expense.

Accessibility - It would be great if a rally could take over an entire park - however, even with planning rallies for 50-100 participants I have run into the inability of a campsite to "kick-out" long term camper residents or "blank out an area together" for a rally without non-rally campers being interspersed. This not only is an inconvenience to the rally-goers, it could also be an inconvenience to the non-rally campers. Not to mention securing the site for rally goers...

I think these are some of the most obvious challenges facing large rally groups and why you see most gatherings of this sort being held on fairground sites. Fairgrounds usually sit empty and under utilized between fairs & such...rallies are a way to re-coup costs. Campgrounds in a prime location, rarely sit empty during peak season...if a large rally isn't held there, they will still make their money from individual campers - and will probably be sold out anyway.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Pennsic

My sister belongs to the Society for Creative Anachronism - medieval reenactors and every fall they have a two week long festival in full medieval drag at a campground north of Pittsburgh - they have banquets, processions, jousts and a full fledged "War" where the loser gets Pittsburgh. They camp in specially made tents or yurts with medieval exteriors, they wear authentic (and smelly) wool costumes and cannot enter or leave the campground in civilian clothes.

The owners of the campground DO throw out even their year round campers for this event that covers the campground and an adjoining farm.

Not quite as impossible as we may have thought? Perhaps?

There is a huge campground in Ohio about an hour south of Akron that has a two week long peddlers fair too. I think their year round residents are confined to a rather remote section of the campground away from all of the hullabaloo.

Paula
Old 07-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Just came back from Lakewood RV in Myrtle Beach - over 2000 sites. Although it may be hard to find, if International was at a destination location, greater attendance?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Just came back from Lakewood RV in Myrtle Beach - over 2000 sites. Although it may be hard to find, if International was at a destination location, greater attendance?
Been there. If any commercial campground could possibly accommodate an International, it would have to be some place like Lakewood. They even have a conference center, and seem to cater to rallies by offering a discount for large groups.

Lakewood Campground
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
ROCHESTER , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Been there. If any commercial campground could possibly accommodate an International, it would have to be some place like Lakewood. They even have a conference center, and seem to cater to rallies by offering a discount for large groups.

Lakewood Campground
I want to try the surfing classes....

This place is amazing. I wonder how many trailers and MH's they can accommodate and how many people the conference center can serve. They certainly have enough available activities, shopping, and more.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
You are all brilliant...

Thanks for the input. Being a creative problem solver, I can see potential problems, but also very many huge opportunities.

A campground would afford several things to the younger, working, members of the WBCCI. International held at a campground, would afford things like adequate power, ac, wifi....some of us still work while traveling...my personal requirements are for those things, plus water (swimming pool, river, lake or ocean, it doesn't matter) and for laid back camping style of event. These areas would have built-in play areas for kids too. Don't need lots of meetngs or to be entertained....mingling with others, happy hour, campfires, sightseeing are all I really need. I think that the current International rallies are very well suited to retired members and now we need to start listending to what the other younger working members might be looking for.

The International rallies I have visited have way too much for building facilities and were highly underutilized for the cost of the facilities. The buildings sit empty for much of the rally and seem to have sporadic use.

Can't hurt to think options through and to entertain new ideas and opportunities. My glass is half full, so I know there are other ways to do things.

Maybe campgrounds are not the right idea, but I would love to hear some other options.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We think that an adequate campground would be great for an International. We avoid the Internationals because of the primitive camping accommodations. Boondocking is great for the scenery. If we are in subway conditions, we want 5 point hook-ups.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I agree that the idea has alot of merit. Can anyone explain to me why the club needs 500 early workers that are on site for up to a month. I would think that a week setup time would be more then enough if the site was an RV facility to begin with. If the facility did not have large enough meeting areas, rent tents. My company recently had a celebration with about 500 guests. The tent went up in less then a day and came down in a few hours.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #14
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Region Rally

We ran a Region Rally last year for 130 rigs, 300 guests. We arrived on site at a local fairground about 5 days prior to the start of the event. We did work lots to set up and then park. Early workers dry camped at no fee for a couple days until we set up the sites, then charged them a reduced rate to cover the cost until the rally start, when the paid the regular fee.

The idea of using a campground means, relatively little set up time. So, if members arrive a week ahead in the area to set up for activities and meetings, that's fine....they would have to pay the campsite fee then. I don't think it should be rolled into the overhead costs charged to participants. We are ALL volunteers, right?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I'm not saying International should be at a campground. I think a destination location would suit my family better. Just finding a spot that can accommodate 1000 trailers with an indoor facitlity for a group to gather is not enough for us to take a week + vacation and a lot of fuel. We pick and choose rallies and events based on where they are and activities planned or nearby. With our unit, we want to go to all of them because they are held in great locations, the hosts plan fun activities and they are also close to attractions (parks, lake, hike, zoo, ball game). Plus, the meals are well thought out after an awesome happy hour, the members are just a great bunch of regular folks - and everybody gets along, never any whining or complaining, not even from the pets or from the really young or old children. Sounds like utopia. (Sounds like a membership plug)
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
ROCHESTER , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
We ran a Region Rally last year for 130 rigs, 300 guests. We arrived on site at a local fairground about 5 days prior to the start of the event. We did work lots to set up and then park. Early workers dry camped at no fee for a couple days until we set up the sites, then charged them a reduced rate to cover the cost until the rally start, when the paid the regular fee.

The idea of using a campground means, relatively little set up time. So, if members arrive a week ahead in the area to set up for activities and meetings, that's fine....they would have to pay the campsite fee then. I don't think it should be rolled into the overhead costs charged to participants. We are ALL volunteers, right?
I agree with this completely, Pam.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
There is a lot of merit here. Think of the fact that you could eliminate the electrical, water, sewer, security and parking volunteers. That's a pot full of people. If you take it a step further you could even allow folks to reserve their own sites. Folks like VAC could prereserve a block of sites for them. Full hookups for all! Even $50 a night isn't bad when you consider the power overhead that is charged today. The price of the rally could probably be lowered since the rental would only be for the extra facilities like tents or the meeting areas used.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
i think most of them try to put 1000 sites on about 5 acres.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Cut the International Rally to 4 or 5 days.
Rent a convention center. Trailer parking would be off site.
Members can choose an RV park in the area, from top notch to boondocking,they control their costs.
This eliminates almost all of your volunteers, and the month long parking costs.
Offer a day pass and an event pass for members to attend the venders, semilars and any entertainment.
Young families can show up for a day or two, again cutting costs.

It could not hurt to try this approach. I think it would beat spending nine days in a hayfield such as Salem OR.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #20
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie M
Cut the International Rally to 4 or 5 days.
Rent a convention center. Trailer parking would be off site.
Members can choose an RV park in the area, from top notch to boondocking,they control their costs.
This eliminates almost all of your volunteers, and the month long parking costs.
Offer a day pass and an event pass for members to attend the venders, semilars and any entertainment.
Young families can show up for a day or two, again cutting costs.

It could not hurt to try this approach. I think it would beat spending nine days in a hayfield such as Salem OR.
Great idea! The eight days we attend now is pretty long....actually much longer than my attention span! We don't usually stay in one place more than 3-4 days when we are camping or caravanning.