Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2014, 04:25 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I wouldn't let a valet anywhere near mine! Since I bought it, the only people who have been behind the wheel besides me are Airstream service techs and Mercedes Benz service techs.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #22
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Where to park Interstate EXT in cities?

The $20 is the tip, the parking is another $30-60 depending on where you park.

I have always parked it myself, they don't want to try and park it.

All of us that drive these know they look bigger than they feel once behind the wheel.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Has anyone here been brave enough to drive their Interstate in NYC? If so, how'd that go? And if you parked it somewhere, what'd you do about that?

My instincts tell me to stay the heck out of NYC when we are back east, but husband is taking it on as a challenge.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #24
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Has anyone here been brave enough to drive their Interstate in NYC?.

FedEx drivers and Limo services do it no problem - if your "situational awareness" is good it's not a problem.

Didn't do NY, but have been downtown Washington DC (pulling 16' cargo trailer as well). There were a few right turns from the center lane (due to trailer) but didn't end up anywhere we couldn't get out of.

Like others have said RE big cities - if no parking where you want to be; just check for train stop or alternate transport.

Public Bikes were awesome in DC, we parked at armory and rode train downtown, and bicycles to all the sites.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
More general info on urban parking for the Interstate --

With my family's present lifestyle and trip planning requirements, again and again I've faced the predicament whereby I am given an urban parking choice between permit parking or a conventional pay garage. At which point I've had to phone the property owner and say, "I'd love to pay you for parking, but I do not have a permit, and I'm too tall to fit into your garage... how can we work this out?"

I've been pleasantly surprised by the feedback I've gotten. One time the owner said, "It's listed in the published literature as a permit-parking lot but we actually have a day-pay kiosk over in the corner, and if you get yourself a window sticker out of that thing, you won't get ticketed." Today I had another entity write down my license plate number make a log entry not to ticket me. When I get to that destination, I will park in their permit-only lot and put a sign on my windshield that says "John Doe in Building Services Dept. (555-1212) said I could park here." If the enforcement people have a question, they can take it up with John Doe.

Anyway, the morals of the story are: (a) advance planning pays off, and (b) it never hurts to ask.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Parked in Boston, Philly, New York, Miami, Atlanta..

Boston was a breeze for parking, nice little parking lot near Boston common. The north end ( where the awesome Italian food is) has some very narrow streets and if you do find parking over there make sure you are in the box and not over any lines ( they are ticket happy) I got a $40 ticket for being a little over the line..

Philly we were able to park a block over from the liberty bell..

New York was the most challenging for parking and driving.. Parking was tough because most parking is in parking garages which for us is a bit of a height issue.. Did find some street parking so we could walk around a bit and get a pizza but that was not easy to come by..

As for driving in NYC you just have to be on your A game and get in your New York cabbie mode, I drove like a mad man. If I had a dime for every time I got flipped off and honked at I could buy two more interstates!!😜 you have to drive very aggressive or you won't get anywhere..

Atlanta has tons of parking just be aware of what the lot signs read.. Most if not all are unattended and you put money or your credit card into a machine and get a ticket.. There are scammers that stand at those lots and they look the part, have flags and tickets, they do not work there.. They will take your cash and a few other unsuspecting tourist and split before anyone is the wiser.. Then because you didn't pay the lot your car gets towed..

Miami is pretty easy to get around and usually easy to find parking we've been all over that city and not really any problems..

If I know I'm going to visit a city I look for parking lots on google maps you them can call them directly and also use the zoom into street level to get a better look at it to make sure it will work.. If you do some advance panning you will most likely not have any surprises.. City driving is a challenge but it's fun and scary kind of like a roller coaster with some cranky people mixed in 😬
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Don't have an interstate, but DO have customers and very friendly competitors dotted around the country. I've spent a couple of nights with the 25 FB parked across 6 spaces at the far end of the parking lot with the owner's permission. Many people are happy to let you park and I for one always send flowers, candy or a nice green $20 bill for a thank you.

One of my favorite stays was in New Bern NC where I stayed in a Medical Clinic's lot after scheduling an 8:00 AM meeting (NOT my favorite time for a meeting - so I figured if I overslept it would take 3 minutes to dress, brush teeth and show up). The potential client was a BIG one... so of course I was wide awake at 5:30 AM.

I made a high speed grocery run, put out the awning and served BREAKFAST for everyone. The staff and doctors were IMPRESSED. (Had the great good sense to get skim milk, yogurt and low fat granola since there were heart surgeons in the mix) but had the more sinful stuff too. I have a standing invitation to come back. It was the only truly fun sales call I ever made... and everyone wanted to see what "Living like McDreamy" would really mean. (ANYONE - if you're going to let a potential customer tour your Airstream - triple dose the toilet with something VERY minty smelling immediately before your guests arrive. They WILL step on the foot pedal.)

Paula