Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Miami Beach , Florida
Where to park Interstate EXT in cities?

Hi, all.

Is there a list available online of places you are able to park Class B Motorhomes in major cities around the US? We just bought an Interstate Extended and plan to do both camping and city stops...and want to make sure that we actually have a place to park when we roll into places like Charlotte, NYC, DC, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.

Thanks in advance for your time!
ATE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Welcome to the AirForums! And welcome to the exalted ranks of Airstream Interstate owners! Glad to have you with us.

I very much doubt you'll find any kind of online list, if you're just looking for parking lots that can handle 25-foot-long, 10-foot-high vans. You may be better off to park in the 'burbs and rely on public transport to get downtown. Or do as I do, namely to park in the 'burbs and tow a small toad (towable car) that I can park anywhere for driving around at my destination. My toad does double duty as a trailer for hauling things that would be in the way if stored inside the Interstate; once I set up at the campground, the car is empty and ready to be used for exploring the area around the destination campground.

There ARE online lists of parking spaces for handicapped-accessible vans, but if you don't have a handicapped license plate on your Interstate that won't help you.

Tablet and smartphone apps such as Allstays can help you find RV parks near your destination cities, but then you'd have to look up the public transportation networks for those cities to see if they pass near the parks.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll download Allstays right now, and look into the prospect of towing a small car. Much appreciated.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATE123 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll download Allstays right now, and look into the prospect of towing a small car. Much appreciated.
There is another— more practical— option that just occurred to me. Drive the interstate to your destination, set up at a campground, then call Enterprise rent-a-car. You can rent a car for many days for the price of a towable car or even a towing dolly for a car you've already got.

I did the toad thing because I needed another car anyway for commuting to and from work, and because for a hurricane evacuation I want to be able to evacuate both vehicles rather than leaving one behind to drive the other. So for me the extra expense of converting a car for towing was worth every penny. The same might not be true for you, and even if you went with a two-wheeled towing dolly so you didn't have to modify a car, the towing dolly ain't cheap either.

So definitely consider the rent-a-car option.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
Copy that. Already downloaded AllStays...and that is perfect.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We used a rental car when needed, did not want to drag a toad. Enterprise was everywhere it seemed and would come to the campground to pick us up in most cases. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
That is what I do. Works great enterprise picks you up and brings you back.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Don't forget Walmarts. They also have an app you can download. But I've noticed in some areas Walmarts no longer permits overnight parking. The app generally gives you that information plus a phone number of the store so you can call them to check.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Oops - I see Allstays IS the Walmart overnight app
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
We have had no problem parking in town during our travels to Dallas, Austin, Atlanta, Santa Fe, Colorado Springs, Denver, Savannah, Charleston and elsewhere. Of course our 2012 does not have the extra 18" or so inches that your Ext. does so that might be a critical difference. We sometimes have to walk a block or two from where we find a space but that's not a bad thing. We love having our house parked right on the curb in town. Our favorite so far was napping with the view out of the windows of the beautiful town squares in Savannah. For example, we rested after lunch for several hours with this view: http://goo.gl/maps/kq1b1
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
We often park our EXT model on the streets in cities for sightseeing. You just need to look around for a spot big enough. We normally stay in campgrounds outside city core.

We carry a bicycles to get around. A few weeks ago we parked on the street in the Garden District on New Orleans and biked around to see the sights.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

melrose , Massachusetts
parking lots

we try to find a parking lot with back to back spaces and just pull in and occupy two to accommodate the length of our ext - even if it says customer parking only, just go in and ask as they will usually say ok
jennian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #13
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Moose, Elks, FOP often have spots for members. Lots of folks use these affiliations. Chicago is a dead zone... however we use the McCormick place marshalling yard. Its a little known secret. No utilities of any type but you are literally 3 minutes to downtown, literally right on Lake Michigan with round the clock security. The closest RV park is more than 60 miles out. That is often a 2 hour drive! You have to get creative. Being a good researcher gets you a great location.
You are well equipped to dry camp (boondoc) you don't need fancy or expensive to explore your destination. We have (x2) 34' trailers plus a long tow vehicle. We take up huge swaths of real estate in parking. We full-time and always manage to find awesome spots.
Another trick is to not wait until too late in the day to begin looking. Our rule is early out early off.
Best of luck and enjoy!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
Thanks to everyone for the great advice. Much appreciated!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Might check city directories too. "Street legal" in Seattle is based on width (80") and 72hrs in the same location (lots of fudging on that). The Interstate is listed by AS at 79.7" wide. Just a thought as you travel from city-to-city in such luxury. Enjoy.
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
When we travel with ours in cities and stay at hotels there has never been a problem with parking.

The nice thing about the interstates are they are narrow enough to fit in tight areas.

For instance our last trip we stayed in the heart of Savannah and the hotel had us park alongside the entry next valet and a side street that was not only perfect, safe and lit up but it was nice to have access to it while walking about the city.

On another trip while up in the heart of Philadelphia and staying downtown the hotel directed us to a 2-3 block walk where there was secure parking for it.

I recommend just calling ahead to the hotel or place you'll be staying to see if the can accommodate or suggest nearby interstate accommodations.
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
We have had no problem parking in town during our travels to Dallas, Austin, Atlanta, Santa Fe, Colorado Springs, Denver, Savannah, Charleston and elsewhere. Of course our 2012 does not have the extra 18" or so inches that your Ext. does so that might be a critical difference. We sometimes have to walk a block or two from where we find a space but that's not a bad thing. We love having our house parked right on the curb in town. Our favorite so far was napping with the view out of the windows of the beautiful town squares in Savannah. For example, we rested after lunch for several hours with this view: http://goo.gl/maps/kq1b1

Russ,

Just read this. When were you In Savannah?

We saw an interstate while there February 16-18.

And we stayed right across the street from that picture.
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Wasn't us. We were there last April. Beautiful place though!
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #19
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
In Chicago / large cities I pay valet at a nearby hotel. Depending on what's going on a $20 tip will normally keep it parked right out front. (Even when I don't stay at the hotel).

Other cities I double park in street spaces ( parallel parking is pretty easy if two spaces) just make sure and pay for two spots. Not ticketed yet an I'm sure I would have been in Springfield if it was going to happen.

Easy to get around downtown. Love it!
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:49 AM   #20
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
$20??
Its like $60 to park overnight in Chitown via valet.... at least!

"Uhhhhh what country do you think this is?" (from Ferris Bueller valet)
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote