Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Unable to load Propane

We’ve been on the road three weeks and stopped to add propane yesterday.
The first LP station we stopped at was unable to get any gas to flow. Thinking that it might be their pump and/or fittings, I went to a camping world not far away.
They too could not get any gas to flow into our LPG valve. They thought the valve might be stuck and stuck a screwdriver into it several times to check it. It seemed to be working OK but still no luck getting any propane to flow into our tank.
Full disclosure, I did hit a curb several days earlier that caused a leak in the X ternal quick connect barbecue valve which I was able to successfully cap. But after inspection the LPG fill valve looked like to not have experienced any damage.
Thought I would check to see if anyone else has had a problem getting propane to go into your tank before I try to find the nearest airstream dealer somewhere here on the road.
Rig Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Forget Airstream dealer. Propane tanks are standard generic stuff. Find a PROPANE dealer.

Do the tanks have any gas in them? A balloon over the nozzle, and open the valve slowly will show. Also try tapping the side of the tank and listening for the tone to change when you get down to the level of the liquid.

Tanks may have a fail safe cutoff to prevent a massive release of gas. Opening the valves too fast can look like a severed hose and stop the tank from draining.

Could someone have messed with your tank valves or used the wrong size equipment to fill them last time? Jammed the valve itself? May be completely wrong, but my bratty brother glued the valves shut on my bicycle when we were kids. Why? He just liked to mess with any stuff mechanical or explosive.

A propane supplier can change out the valves after purging the tanks.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
I’m in an airstream motor home. The propane tank is under the coach by the rear axle so I don’t think anyone messed with it. I’d be glad if the propane fill valve that was installed by airstream on the Interstate is generic.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:10 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Corrosion/dirt could be the issue. We encountered the same thing and used WD40 to clean and lube the service port. No problem since.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Thanks, will try that easy fix!
Old 02-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Cleveland , Georgia
Hey Rig Rat,

We had that problem once. We filled the tank at one place but they ran out of propane, apparently without filling the tank completely. The next place was unable to put any more into the tank. The problem was that our tank was already full and wouldn't accept any more. See if you can check that. Good luck.

Krikati
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Delmont , Pennsylvania
Rig Rat

I also agree your tank my be full without you knowing it.
I had a small 5 Pound tank that I thought was empty because it felt light, after having 2 places try to refill it like you they said it was in fact full.
Bobkuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
Weigh the tank

A foolproof method to check whether a tank is full is to weigh it on a bathroom scale. All tanks have “Tare” weight stamped on them. That is the tank’s empty weight. Weighing the tank and subtracting the tare weight from the total will tell you exactly how gas Is in it.
BobnGayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
That works for portable propane not the mounted tank like an interstate has.

I believe it’s a DOT vs ASME situation. DOT portable gas grill type and ASME attached to RV type.

https://propanewarehouse.com/propane-tanks-guide/
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
If you don't trust the electronic gauge or the needle on the side of the tank, pour hot water over the tank then feel the tank. The tank will be warm above the propane and turn cold at the propane level.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
If you don't trust the electronic gauge or the needle on the side of the tank, pour hot water over the tank then feel the tank. The tank will be warm above the propane and turn cold at the propane level.
Great suggestion, thanks! I will check it via this method.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Curious... did this ever get resolved?

AFAIK, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, there's no reliable way to ascertain the actual level of propane in an under-mounted tank.

There are sensors incorporated into them, but mine has never worked, not across two successive propane tanks. It maybe can tell me roughly whether the tank is more empty than full, but the level? Forget it.

There are devices that can be purchased, but I don't think any of them can be used on a horizontal cylinder. For instance, the Dometic pen device requires that you hold it horizontally, which is impossible (Dometic assumes that you are going to use it on a vertical cylinder).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:44 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Could be something simple. If this is a new mh and you have never filled it before, check the needle valve in the line near the head of the bottle. The manufacturer may not have opened it after installation. Trust me, it can happen.
SwampRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #14
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Curious... did this ever get resolved?

AFAIK, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, there's no reliable way to ascertain the actual level of propane in an under-mounted tank.
Ok IB... my experience is from my other mohos and B-vans... I've never crawled underneath my T1N to see for sure, but every OTHER coach I've had has had an analog needle-style pressure guage at the valve in addition to the electronic sensor read-out in the cabin. Perhaps with the remote-fill, these don't have them... but that sort of thing IS available, and they're accurate; significantly moreso than the "sensors and panel" system in the cabins on the AI.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
... I've never crawled underneath my T1N to see for sure, but every OTHER coach I've had has had an analog needle-style pressure guage .....
I've crawled. And crawled. And crawled. And replaced the tank. And later replaced the flex lines. And I've never seen a gauge inserted anywhere. I WISH.

One of many crawling pics, back when I was scratching my head over the Airstream parts list.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #16
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
I've crawled. And crawled. And crawled. And replaced the tank. And later replaced the flex lines. And I've never seen a gauge inserted anywhere. I WISH.
Well, there you go. I need to stop trying to extrapolate ANYTHING I know about B-Vans to the AI. What WAS I thinking?

Thanks.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
We’ve chalked it up to a faulty gauge reading.
While it registered 1/3 on the inside Light system The gauge on the outside of the tank says it’s 2/3 .
So at the time, it must have been almost full to not accept any propane.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Agree, we do have a dial gauge on the outside of the LPG tank on our 2015! And it is reading that we have more propane than the electronic light system indicates!
Old 02-16-2020, 05:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
Agree, we do have a dial gauge on the outside of the LPG tank on our 2015! And it is reading that we have more propane than the electronic light system indicates!
As the old saying goes, pics or it didn't happen!

Old 02-21-2020, 05:09 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
As the old saying goes, pics or it didn't happen!

I see no need to take a picture just to prove a point.
Guess you’ll have to believe those of us who say we have an analog dial on our LPG tank... ...or not!