Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2021, 06:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Sway Bar Removal Problem

I have searched the Airforum for information on HOW people installed the Hellwig Sway Bar, that is compatible with my 2017 AI Grand Tour EXT. I decided to take it to a shop that had the ability to at least get the back up high enough to work on it. PROBLEM: The generator interferes with removing the eyelet bolts on either side. There is not enough clearance. His solution was to either bend the bracket enough to get the bolt out and if that didn't work to cut the bolt and remount from the opposite direction where there is enough clearance. Needless to say I brought the van back home. If someone has upgraded their sway bar with a similar set up, I would love to hear your solution to pulling the old one out. Thanks George
PS - Colonial Airstream said they won't touch suspension work
broncowilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
We have a non-extended 2011 Interstate. I bought the Hellwig and took it to a local shop to install it. They said there was not enough room for the Hellwig due to the the genset. I returned it and ordered the Roadmaster anti sway bar. That one just fit. Not sure if same holds true for later models. I don’t recall the installer saying there was a problem with removing the stock anti sway bar. Is temporarily dropping the genset an option?
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the response. Interesting that your problem was the Hellwig not fitting but apparently didn’t have an issue with getting the old one out. Dropping the generator would be an option, but not one I was hoping for. Cutting the old bolts out wouldn’t be as much of an issue if the propane tank was just on the others side of the differential and of course the lines to the generator. I hate to give up on the sway bar, as it is significantly beefier than the OEM.
broncowilly is offline   Reply With Quote