Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
RennTech Modification Questions

Noticed that some owners have opted to modify their Interstate with a RennTech modification that boosts the power of the vehicle.

Any thoughts on this modification?

Pros and cons?
RavenDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Our I3500 got the Renntech upgrade at mile 5000. I have no complaints at all. The performance is very good, but not radical. We may have lost .5mpg but it is well worth the performance gains. Our present mpg number are 19.0-19.5. The power gains at 62-75mph, give you the power to pass another vehicle comfortably. I felt the power curve in that range was a bit flat. Don't misinterpret me, at those speeds, I am not trying to seek out vehicles to pass but there were situations that called for it.
I would suggest the upgrade. All pros, no cons.
Road Jager
Old 08-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Do the ECU adjustments affect the warranty?

From what I understand, each time the dealer or whomever tunes the Interstate, the ECU needs to be sent back to RennTech for reprogramming. However, it's a free reprogram, except for the mailing charges. Is this correct?
RavenDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
That is something you should ask Renntech. They are very approachable.
Road Jager
Old 08-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Don't know about Mercedes but Chevy will void powertrain warranty if they discover a tune or remnants of one.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Being down in Florida I had ours tuned at Renntech in palm beach.

Ours is a 2010 on a 2008 chassis which I believe only made about 154 hp. Versus the newer ones which make 180 hp.

To us it was a big improvement. Much more getup and go. And definitely agree better highway passing power.

Also lost about 1 mpg in fuel consumption.

I don't think the ECU has to be reprogrammed after service. According to service center they only use ECU to read vehicle, not reprogram it. And Renntech agrees. But they would reprogram if need at no additional cost.

One thing with ours is that due to the older year they were not able to remove speed limiter although they said they could work on it. But to us going over 80 is really not that important or safe and comfortable.
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Don't know about Mercedes but Chevy will void powertrain warranty if they discover a tune or remnants of one.
Chances are, Mercedes will NOT void the warranty. The reason I say this is, Mercedes Benz of Baton Rouge is both an authorized Sprinter dealer AND an authorized Renntech dealer!

Since finding this out, I'm giving serious consideration to having MBoBR give my Interstate the Renntech treatment next time it's in for scheduled maintenance.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Interesting to know. Let us know what you learn.

Speaking of scheduled maintenance, where can I find what's in the A and B maintenance? Looked thru the Sprinter books but couldn't seem to find anything.

On another thread, someone stated that the Airstream web page had access to all of the installed equipment manuals. After about an hour of searching it, I couldn't find anything. Do you know where it is?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Speaking of scheduled maintenance, where can I find what's in the A and B maintenance? Looked thru the Sprinter books but couldn't seem to find anything.
Schedule A is "Oil Service Plus" in the Sprinter Maintenance Booklet. Schedule B is "Maintenance Service" in the booklet. Listing begins on Page 10 of the booklet.

Quote:
On another thread, someone stated that the Airstream web page had access to all of the installed equipment manuals. After about an hour of searching it, I couldn't find anything. Do you know where it is?
I wish! Never have found some of them, like the one for the sliding step…
They do have PDF versions of many of the various Airstream manuals, but not installed component manuals that I can find.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #10

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
My question about the Renntech module is whether or not the vehicle will pass the Texas vehicle inspection with it installed. I had one vehicle fail inspection because the cover on the air filter had been replaced with the identical part from another GM product. The wrong brand name was painted on the cover!

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
My question about the Renntech module is whether or not the vehicle will pass the Texas vehicle inspection with it installed. I had one vehicle fail inspection because the cover on the air filter had been replaced with the identical part from another GM product. The wrong brand name was painted on the cover!
It is not a module. It is a software upgrade. It should not effect the emissions testing in Texas.
Road Jager
Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Chances are, Mercedes will NOT void the warranty. The reason I say this is, Mercedes Benz of Baton Rouge is both an authorized Sprinter dealer AND an authorized Renntech dealer!

Since finding this out, I'm giving serious consideration to having MBoBR give my Interstate the Renntech treatment next time it's in for scheduled maintenance.
Protag,
Get it done, money well spent. I have never regretted it or had ANY issues with it.
Road Jager
Old 08-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
Can anyone tell me the difference between this software upgrade and the two channel tuning module that the sprinter store is offering? Has anyone had any experience with the tuning module?

Jeff
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote