Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Houston , Texas
Annoying Squeaks

Ok I do realize that my Interstate is basically a driving small cabin so it will have some squeaks but mine just recently started squeaking right above the drivers seat where the sun visor attaches. If I use the blue tooth to talk on my cell phone the person I am talking to can hardly hear me. I have tightened the bolts and that doesn't fix it. It must be from something up under the headliner? Any ideas on how to get up under there? What do you all do to try to minimize squeaks and rattles?
Brentsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
My biggest noise generator is the plastic on the rear doors. Hit a bump and it just resonates. Either the shop or I are going to fill the cavities w/ insulation.

Don't have the squeak you're talking about tho. Could it be some cabling that's lying above the headliner?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:10 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
In our '09 the buttons in the headliner pull out to expose the fasteners. Also, you should take out all the drawers and look to see if anything behind the cabinet is rattling. I also put silicone buttons on the shades, only one of which could make noise. Ben
Old 12-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsouth View Post
Ok I do realize that my Interstate is basically a driving small cabin so it will have some squeaks but mine just recently started squeaking right above the drivers seat where the sun visor attaches. If I use the blue tooth to talk on my cell phone the person I am talking to can hardly hear me. I have tightened the bolts and that doesn't fix it. It must be from something up under the headliner? Any ideas on how to get up under there? What do you all do to try to minimize squeaks and rattles?
You know, it could actually be something you're carrying in that overhead bin that's squeaking…

Also, I moved the microphone from the mirror to the dashboard even though I didn't have a squeak that interfered with phone conversations. The only noisemaker that interferes with phone conversations now is the A/C fan, and I can turn that down or off during a call if need be.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
I have the same rattling just above the drivers head near the center. I agree, it definitely sounds like cables rattling in the space between the roof liner and the AV compartment.

If I hold my hand against the ceiling it dampens enough to make the noise stop. At some point I'm going to try to figure out how to get in there and put down something to resolve it.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Houston , Texas
I was able to put some foam up (just jammed a piece in) between the headliner and near the window and that stopped the squeak so it was just loose.
Brentsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
Count your blessings, I have so many squeaks and rattles you can't isolate where they are coming from. Still on warranty so trying to have the dealer work it with no results so far. It's almost embarrassing to drive, I have a whole percussion section playing to different tunes. It's so bad if I could return it for a refund I would.

Steve
schubbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by schubbes View Post
Count your blessings, I have so many squeaks and rattles you can't isolate where they are coming from.
Mine is pretty quiet; hardly any squeaks or rattles, and the few that I have are mostly due to what I have packed in the lockers and drawers, not due to the fit and finish of the interior.

Of course, as a solo traveler, my point of view is always the driver's seat. I might think mine was noisier if I was sitting somewhere else.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Mine is quiet too. If I drive at moderate speeds especially over rough or uneven road surfaces, the noises I hear are mostly from the gear I carry rather than the Interstate itself. I have no squeaks that I can detect. I do find that after loading up for a trip it takes a few miles for things to "settle in" and a little rearranging by the co-pilot.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
If you want to hear annoying squeaks and rattles, go test-drive a Winnebago Era (which I did before test-driving my Interstate). The whole Era interior is a collection of mediocre parts all traveling in approximately the same direction at approximately the same speed; not a unified system at all.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I found that the plastic panels on the rear doors were making a lot of noise when hitting any bumps in the road. I put some foam weather stripping cut into pads around the perimeter. Also stuffed some fiberglass insulation in the lower half. Will see how that works out on our upcoming trip. At least when I hit them now, they don't reverberate.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
The best way to tackle the problem is to go to Lowes or Home Depot and get an array of rubber or silicone bumpers, velcro etc.. have someone else drive and start isolating and fixing them one at a time, soon it will be quiet.
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote