Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #41
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Link also to remote display manual:

http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sit...-ME-MR_Web.pdf
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Confirmed... it was the nut behind the steering wheel... thanks again Boom23
WACHUKO - did you make sure the nut was torqued to specs? I think it is supposed to be 150 lbs.-ft.

BOOM23 - where is all that info you last posted coming from? I only have the basic ME-MR Remote Control Manual. I have bare bones standard stuff that came from AS, no electrical mods. I have looked all over by re-reading manual multiple times, then decided to use computer Find/Search and could not find any reference to the Multi or Final Charge stage. Are we talking about the same ME-MR Remote Control Manual for Revision 1 or higher (PN: 64-0031 Rev D) ?

From my understanding of the manual that comes with mine, the Battery Saver mode is a condition, rather than a user changeable setting that can be tweaked to ON or Off. Same as I can not change when it goes from Bulk to Absorb to FLoat. What am I missing?
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #43
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
BOOM23, WACHUKO - OK, I think I found the issue with the remotes, you guys have a fancier remote than me. In mine, I can not choose to turn On or Off Battery Saver, it does so on it's own.

Yours
Click image for larger version

Name:	magnum-energy-me-rc50-inverter-remote-control.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	314638
Mine
Click image for larger version

Name:	me-mr_remote_5x7_med.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	314639
Old 06-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
BOOM23 - where is all that info you last posted coming from? I only have the basic ME-MR Remote Control Manual. I have bare bones standard stuff that came from AS, no electrical mods. I have looked all over by re-reading manual multiple times, then decided to use computer Find/Search and could not find any reference to the Multi or Final Charge stage. Are we talking about the same ME-MR Remote Control Manual for Revision 1 or higher (PN: 64-0031 Rev D) ?

From my understanding of the manual that comes with mine, the Battery Saver mode is a condition, rather than a user changeable setting that can be tweaked to ON or Off. Same as I can not change when it goes from Bulk to Absorb to FLoat. What am I missing?
I thought you had upgraded the Magnum control as I did.
Here's the manual I was quoting from: http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sit...-ME-RC_Web.pdf

The manual for the Magnum control that came with the AI is this: http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sit...-ME-MR_Web.pdf
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #45
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
I thought you had upgraded the Magnum control as I did.
BOOM23 - Apparently I did too, no wonder I was going around in circles wondering what's going on with the manuals. Glad it wasn't my not RTFM So that settles that. My question is did your 2018 come with the basic ME-MR as mine and you upgraded ME-RC yourself or is that what's installed with newer units (mine is circa 02/2018)?
Old 06-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
BOOM23 - Apparently I did too, no wonder I was going around in circles wondering what's going on with the manuals. Glad it wasn't my not RTFM So that settles that. My question is did your 2018 come with the basic ME-MR as mine and you upgraded ME-RC yourself or is that what's installed with newer units (mine is circa 02/2018)?
My 2018 TB AI GT came with the basic ME-MR control.

I upgraded to the ME-RC because I planned to add the Magnum Battery Monitor kit (amp meter). Now, with everything that's happening with the Magnum inverter/charger, I am waiting on adding the battery monitor kit...
Old 07-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #47

2015 23' International
La Porte , Texas
Magnum Issues

I've got a similar issue. I've got a 2015 Interstate that is new to me. I had a 2014 for 3 years. Had it for a couple of months but issues have kept us from any trips lately. I had not issues with my 2014 and would keep it plugged in most of the time. When I plugged it in, the 2014 always would show an amp draw as it went through the charging cycle.

I've noticed that most of the time and all the time this week, the Magnum unit will not charge the batteries either with shorepower or the generator. It will show it going through bulk and absord but shows o amps. The batteries are at 11.8 volts.

I had a previous error message about a month ago and reset the unit.

Any ideas? I hope to schedule it for repair next week but he will probably just replace it unless he finds a loose wire.
Seayapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
I am not sure which batteries you are referring to. There are the house batteries (in the back under the RV) and the engine battery (under driver seat floor). The following are checks for the House batteries.

First, I would first check the Magnum Charge Rate setting (Manuals here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post2117909). It should be 50% plus.

Then I would check the Inverter Main Disconnect Switch (located at the driver side jump seat at rear). It should be ON.

Finally, I would check the 150A house battery fuse (connected to the positive house battery terminal).

These are the easy checks... Others might chime in with more ideas.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #49
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Making progress

My problems started after I returned from Alumapalooza and found that the Magnum was not keeping my batteries charged. I ended up frying my Magnum when I reset it with AC power present. Lots of smoke!

I ordered and installed a new Magnum. Sadly, I still have the failure to properly charge the house batteries. The Magnum quickly goes into Float with the batteries partially charged and the batteries just stay there at about 12.6 v rather than the former 13.1 v. The Magnum shows Float 0 amps and 13.1 volts. The batteries are at 12.6 volts.

I spent Saturday on the positive wiring: Magnum to big battery switch that I installed to replace SB164 solenoid, to 200 amp fuse, to batteries. Everything looked fine with no voltage drop. It got too hot to work, so I brought the batteries home and charged them in the shop. They are fairly new and hold a charge well.

Today, I went back and started on the ground circuit. From the Magnum out of sight to the batteries. Progress at last. I have a voltage differential between the Magnum ground terminal and the ground posts of the batteries. With 1.0 battery cables, there should be no differential. I suspect this is confusing the Magnum and causing the quick transition into Float.

Again, it neared 100 degrees late this morning, so I shut things down for the day. I'll go out in the morning and see what is happening on the grounding. Whatever it is, it started during the trip to Ohio. There is either a loose clamping bolt in the ground circuit or a poor crimp at the end of one of the ground cables. Unfortunately, I will probably have to unscrew and remove the CS twin bed to check the wiring going into the battery box.

It feels good to finally have a clue to what is happening.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Not charging from shore power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
My problems started after I returned from Alumapalooza and found that the Magnum was not keeping my batteries charged. I ended up frying my Magnum when I reset it with AC power present. Lots of smoke!

I ordered and installed a new Magnum. Sadly, I still have the failure to properly charge the house batteries. The Magnum quickly goes into Float with the batteries partially charged and the batteries just stay there at about 12.6 v rather than the former 13.1 v. The Magnum shows Float 0 amps and 13.1 volts. The batteries are at 12.6 volts.

I spent Saturday on the positive wiring: Magnum to big battery switch that I installed to replace SB164 solenoid, to 200 amp fuse, to batteries. Everything looked fine with no voltage drop. It got too hot to work, so I brought the batteries home and charged them in the shop. They are fairly new and hold a charge well.

Today, I went back and started on the ground circuit. From the Magnum out of sight to the batteries. Progress at last. I have a voltage differential between the Magnum ground terminal and the ground posts of the batteries. With 1.0 battery cables, there should be no differential. I suspect this is confusing the Magnum and causing the quick transition into Float.

Again, it neared 100 degrees late this morning, so I shut things down for the day. I'll go out in the morning and see what is happening on the grounding. Whatever it is, it started during the trip to Ohio. There is either a loose clamping bolt in the ground circuit or a poor crimp at the end of one of the ground cables. Unfortunately, I will probably have to unscrew and remove the CS twin bed to check the wiring going into the battery box.

It feels good to finally have a clue to what is happening.

I think I may have the same issue as you Pahaska, and I have an explanation; see if you think it’s feasible:

Normally my AI is plugged in and stored in a garage attached to the house, and the temperature never goes above 75F. So I’m used to it sitting in there on Float and sometimes on BattSave.
But currently I’m on a trip and visiting friends, parked outside, and plugged into their garage socket. It’s in Missouri and it’s stifling! The temperature is usually between 95-100F
But I noticed the SunExplorer display never seems to go to 100% and is usually showing 95-90%, with the Magnum showing Float! But when I drive the AI, it does go back up to 100%.
I have the battery sensor installed (it was left off by Airstream, not sure if the later ones have it added). So I went into the Magnum Tech Menu and displayed the battery temperature: 33C - 91.4F.
Looking in the Magnum MMS Manual, the Magnum applies an approx -0.3V change to all charge states to compensate. This would result in a Float charge of 12.8V, and that would result in a SunExplorer display of 95%.

I think I’ve convinced myself this is normal for my current conditions. Could it be the same scenario as yours?
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #51
Contributing Member

Odd thing is that the original Magnum always brought up the batteries to 13.1v, displayed on the Magnum remote and on the Blue Sky MPPT solar controller, even through last summer here in Texas with a number of 100-degree days.

The AI is in the shade in an open-front shed and was reasonably cool when I started this morning. There was no battery temp sensor on my 14.5 AI, although one is shown on the 2015 schematics. One came with the new Magnum and I did install it. I tried the sensor on and off and there was no discernible change.

I'm still convinced that it is the resistance in the grounding cables that must be the problem. With low currents and 2.0 welding cables, there should be no noticeable voltage drop between batteries and Magnum. There is no drop on the positive lead, only on the ground lead.

I'll look tomorrow early to see where the resistance is.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I think I may have the same issue as you Pahaska, and I have an explanation; see if you think it’s feasible:

Normally my AI is plugged in and stored in a garage attached to the house, and the temperature never goes above 75F. So I’m used to it sitting in there on Float and sometimes on BattSave.
But currently I’m on a trip and visiting friends, parked outside, and plugged into their garage socket. It’s in Missouri and it’s stifling! The temperature is usually between 95-100F
But I noticed the SunExplorer display never seems to go to 100% and is usually showing 95-90%, with the Magnum showing Float! But when I drive the AI, it does go back up to 100%.
I have the battery sensor installed (it was left off by Airstream, not sure if the later ones have it added). So I went into the Magnum Tech Menu and displayed the battery temperature: 33C - 91.4F.
Looking in the Magnum MMS Manual, the Magnum applies an approx -0.3V change to all charge states to compensate. This would result in a Float charge of 12.8V, and that would result in a SunExplorer display of 95%.

I think I’ve convinced myself this is normal for my current conditions. Could it be the same scenario as yours?
Yes - your described behavior sounds normal. When it is that hot both the Magnum and SunExplorer will reduce charge voltage. The Sprinter alternator will deliver 13.8-14.2 at all temperatures.

Remember that charge indicator on the SunExplorer is merely a display of the voltage being applied to the batteries. It is NOT a reliable indicator of battery State of Charge (SoC)
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #53
Contributing Member

This morning I found a loose connection in the ground between Magnum and batteries. Tightened things up and the Magnum is now happily charging the batteries like it used to. 14.2 volts showing on the solar display until it went into float. Then 13.0 v. This is what I remember from before.

I'll check in the morning and see if all is still well.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #54
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
That is great to read John. Happy to see that it is all working again as it should.

Before the trip, I did check all connections in mine before we left. Sprayed some terminal protection as well if only as precaution to avoid any corrosion on the terminals. Everything is nice and tighten as well... and has been working fine.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #55

2015 23' International
La Porte , Texas
Thanks for all the advise getting my charger working. I changed my charge rate from 50% to 100% and switched the power save from off to on.

My Magnum is now back to charging the batteries. Before it would cycle through the charge cycles with no 0 amps.
Seayapat is offline   Reply With Quote