Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
New Owner (yay!) Need HELP!!

Hi everyone, we finally bit the bullet!!! Yay!!!

We got little to no instructions with our 2014.5 Lounge and are suffering the consequences today! We ran out of LP for the generator and not able to refill on a Sunday. Tried to start the AC unit on shore power and probably caused another issue, getting a E7 code on the Dometic AC control. Have searched enough to need to check the circuit breaker but can't find the location. (See we need to be careful of the electric current).

Anyone bored and feel like correcting my newbie mistakes? Have suggestions on the best way to learn what to do and not find out the hard way? Appreciate your suggestions!!
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Hey fellow Hawkeye. Per my Dometic manual error E7 does mean that you have lost 120V power. My AI rooftop AC is circuit breaker #3, located in the panel below (in front of) my lounge seat. Are you using 20A or 30A shore power? If using 20A you may have blown a fuse when the compressor started (or tried to start). Per my Progressive Industries surge protector mine pulls about 18A when starting, then drops back to 14A. Do other things in the AI still run on shore power? If so you have not blown the fuse providing shore power. Other possibility it that your EMS is giving priority to something other than the AC. Is your electric water heater on by any chance?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I would guess we blew the circuit using 20A shore. We have a 50A service, I’m also guessing we should be using it and step down to 30A? Not electrical geniuses by far!

I found the fuses bit not the circuit breakers. Can anyone give me a more precise location for them if possible please? Must not be the same as the 2014. Thank you for your help! We are hoping to get with an RV dealer next week for better instructions!

(Hope to see you on the road in Iowa!)
Old 08-04-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
On mine
1) the 12v Airstream fuses,
2) the circuit breakers for the microwave, AC, water heater, and plugs
3) the thermal breakers for the lounge seat motor, tank heat pads, and a couple of other things
are all inside a fold-down hinged panel at the very back of the aisle - the board below (at the front of) the lounge seat. You cannot see it if the lounge and side seats are in the bed position.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Also,
I don't understand your reference to 20A shore, 50A service, and 30A step down.
I have a cheater that allows me to plug my 30A plug into a 50A outlet - in case the only outlet at the campground post is a 50A plug style. But (I believe) that the EMS will still starting kicking things out at 30A. I assume that it knows 20A if the generator is running. But on shore power I am not sure what it does if you don't push the button on the EMS to tell it whether you are plugged into 30A or 20A.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
We got little to no instructions with our 2014.5 Lounge and are suffering the consequences today!
HAWKINATION - the MY.5 drives me bonkers since it is hard to tell what old/new stuff it has, so what manual to look for the stuff? The fuse & breakers are in the manual (I scrolled down both 2014/2015 to see) but you will have to check/decide which manual to use based on what you see in front of you. BTW - you should keep a copy of the right MY (or both) on your phone for faster access, in case you lose internet connectivity.

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-190.pdf

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-191.pdf

EDIT: CONGRATS. on purchase. Tough way to start/join the club. Your EMS can shed if you run from 20A in summer. You will have to at least turn off everything including your inverter/charger. If you have a 50A-to-30A adapter, then you have best chance of not shedding the a/c with other stuff on. If no choice but to use 20A, use the shortest cable run to minimize cable loss.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
We got a printed manual but it wasn't clear as to the circuit breaker location. We did just find it under the folding bed area, the button was hidden at the top of the panel.

I'm just mad at myself for messing it up so trying to make it better, I'm sure the information is out there, it just takes time to find when Google doesn't answer back in 5 seconds or less.

So I plugged into our 50A service, stepped it down to 30A. We flipped the circuits but they didn't seem off, just to make sure they are on. Nothing else running in the coach. Had a hard time getting the Dometic HVAC controller to come on. It shows 70 degrees, Cool, Auto (switched to High). Nothing.
The LP gauge now shows 1/3 full (probably expansion), I'm wondering if I shouldn't shut down the electrical and try the generator, if it would kick on.

It shows the main at 12.5V too, wondering if that's not enough to kick it on....

The former owner ran it a lot off of 20A, I'm wondering if it didn't cause some issues .
Old 08-04-2019, 05:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Sorry people, I'm probably drawing down your Airstream level of intelligence, but do you have to have the engine running to kick on the AC with shore power? I'm wondering too how long the house batteries last, I'd almost guess ours are original and maybe part of this equation.

It's running, finally!! I figured out to start the engine to get it to fire up. Let me know your thoughts if you would, it's probably in the feeds but it takes forever to search for the answers (at least when I am wanting the answer now...I'm too excited to have patience)! Thanks a lot for your time today! We're very excited to be owners. It was a quick purchase so I didn't have time to revisit tech information!! I wasn't going to turn down an opportunity to get Mr. on the fence on board again!!!

Thanks for the welcome too!!! I'm still in shock and beyond thrilled to be part of the group!!!!!
Old 08-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #9
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Greetings from Tipton, Hawk-ination!

Unfortunately MY Interstate is an '04 and the ONLY thing it shares with your '14 is that both are front-engine, propane generator, and have four wheels, so I'm afraid I have little to offer that is salient to share about your trials, but I wanted to welcome you aboard and let you know that there are other's of us "out there" in B-190s and T1N Sprinter-based Interstates in the area as well. We just spent the weekend at Tailwaters East on the Coralville Res with some friends who have a "new" B-190.

Good luck with your systems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2888sm.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	980.1 KB
ID:	348551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2890sm.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	966.2 KB
ID:	348552  

85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Aww..thanks! We just picked it up in Coralville so we just missed each other! Your Airstream is a nice looking ride, I'd have no qualms about owning a 04!! Can't wait to see you in Iowa...or Florida...or any state not Iowa in the winter!!
Old 08-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #11
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Aww..thanks! We just picked it up in Coralville so we just missed each other! Your Airstream is a nice looking ride, I'd have no qualms about owning a 04!! Can't wait to see you in Iowa...or Florida...or any state not Iowa in the winter!!
Ha ha ha!!! Indeed!!! We're going to try to flee to SoCal for a bit in January.

Thans for the kind words on my coach. The '04 is pretty simple, systems-wise. I'm not one much for all the electronics and complex systems in the newer coaches. At least I can still understand how they work in the '04. The newer stuff is way beyond my technical abilities.

I'd love to see your coach some day!
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
do you have to have the engine running to kick on the AC with shore power?
No. But it does help if you turn the A/C fan on first and let it run for a minute before starting the A/C proper. If the compressor and fan have to both start at the same time, there's a larger initial load than if the fan is already running when the compressor starts.
Quote:
I'm wondering too how long the house batteries last,
Unless they've been abused by being repeatedly discharged below 0% charge, AGM house batteries should last about 5 years. Mine lasted six years, but toward the end they were pretty feeble.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
We made it through the excitement and panic of the first weekend! I felt horrible both breaking something major and then happy to get your help and somewhat fix the problem today.

It would make sense that the batteries might need to be replaced as we are probably looking at a five year life span.

I'm sure I'll need your help again in the future, but I promise we will be off sometime this week to consult with someone who can walk us through more of the features and what to watch out for, and not have to learn the hard way, even if that is my general way of life!

Can't wait to meet a bunch of you out and about! Thanks so much for your help. Please don't think the former owner was a bad person either, I think they got the same amount of instructions so not a lot of info they could pass on. We appreciate everyone's help today! Excited to see where the road leads to!
Old 08-05-2019, 05:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Send me a PM if you'd like to take a drive up 380 with your Interstate and I'll spend a few hours telling/showing you what I've learned over the years that I've had mine. Lots of little tricks I've learned and changes I've made to improve things. We are retired and between trips, so have some time this month.

First thing I did was replace batteries when I got home from the first trip (purchased in Ca.) It sat on the dealers lot for 1 year and they ruined the batteries. Mine have now lasted 5 years and are going strong. I have never taken them below 50%, seldom below 60%, and recharge them daily via driving and/or upgraded solar. We just returned from 3 week trip to Ca and we plugged into shore power twice. Last year we took a 6 week trip to AK and plugged in 4 times.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
The offer is very kind and appreciated! I will certainly look at the schedule and see if I can catch up and head north, but of course, with some notice! Trying to catch back up after my self-made perfect storm of issues. One thing that can certainly be said is the kindness and helpful attitude of the people on this forum!
Old 08-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Good user guide

This may not be exactly your model, but I found this book extremely helpful when we were starting out. Much better for newbies than Airstream's owner guide.

Airstream Life Guide: Airstream Interstate 3500 Motorhome
https://amzn.to/31q0zHE
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I was just thinking I needed an Airstream Interstate for Dummies book as I was walking in the door! (No offense to you!)

Perfect!! You absolutely read my mind!
Looks like a great resource so far-

Now I don't have to learn so much the hard way...Thank you!!!
Old 08-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
I was just thinking I needed an Airstream Interstate for Dummies book as I was walking in the door! (No offense to you!)

Perfect!! You absolutely read my mind!
Looks like a great resource so far-

Now I don't have to learn so much the hard way...Thank you!!!
Hey HAWK, when I graduated from college with an engineering degree, Hewlett Packard sent us (many cocky college grad so called "engineers") to the HP engineering school for 6 months before we were allowed to touch a customer's equipment. In our orientation in Stanford University at Palo Alto, CA our instructor said wiping our brains back to "Dummy level" is Step #1 to achieving "Expert level" in HP engineering. Get it? This was a university professor saying all our college training meant nothing to HP How true it is.

As much experience I had with cars, mechanicals, electricals, and electronics - I entered the RV world not knowing a single thing about the Airstream, literally a big dummy Only the posts & advice here from others before me, saved my a** from total catatrophe.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Alex AVI, everything in life seems to be more about how it is practically applied, not how much you know. I think your comment is very true!

Spending a lot of time trying to figure out items that won't clank and clang, that are lightweight, and will fit. Not sure in what order of difficulty. I'd say finding room to fit is one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle. I haven't bombed out any of the systems again, so that's a big plus. I had a decent field of knowledge from reading all your posts prior to purchase, but had put them in the back of my mind thinking it was just a dream and wouldn't become a reality. Little did I know, don't give up on the dream, right?!

Down to test runs for a couple nights in the driveway. Thanks for all your comments and advice once again. I'm sure there will be a lot to ask once we hit the road! In the meantime, I'm studying your posts on how to upgrade the solar and electrical. Safe travels and thanks again!
Old 08-12-2019, 05:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Other than the first sentence, the info. below is is sure to be controversial and generate tons of opinions...
You need to decide how you are going to use you Interstate before embarking upon a solar upgrade.
a) If you plan to do at least an hour or two of driving each day and are judicious in your electrical usage, 200 W is probably enough, and an MPPT controlled is probably marginally-justifiable.
b) If you want to sit at the same non-shore-power site for days on end, then 400 W with a MPPT controller and existing two AGM batteries is a must and more AGM batteries and/or lithium is a nice want.
c) If you plan KOA-type of camping with shore power at each site, then the anemic Airstream 50 or 100W panel is OK. They (might) keep your Interstate batteries topped off when sitting mostly unused in your driveway or at an outdoor storage site.

We are in category a) above and we have never dropped below 60% SOC ( as monitored with the (upgraded) Magnum BMK and ME RC remote).