Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
HAWK, MIKE - VB Air website has all their product user manuals downloadable:

https://www.vbairsuspension.com/en/p...er-manual.html
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:53 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Ha Alex, that’s very funny too. Our controllers must not work the same. Ok, arrows up and down, yes. I just can’t get it to switch to the front axle. Tried the three second press and a long press, hitting the up arrow if down was selected, nothing seems to get it out of the rear axle selection.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:16 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Silly question: Have you looked underneath to confirm that there is air suspension on the front too, and not just on the rear?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #44
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Ha Alex, that’s very funny too. Our controllers must not work the same. Ok, arrows up and down, yes. I just can’t get it to switch to the front axle. Tried the three second press and a long press, hitting the up arrow if down was selected, nothing seems to get it out of the rear axle selection.
HAWK - Because the VB Air on a Sprinter chassis is only on the rear axle and not the front - unless again if you have some sort of pre-production version. Pictures would really help us, it is hard helping you without the benefit of seeing what you are seeing. Even though VB Air calls it the VB Full Air 2C (for Commercial Vehicle, not the Motorhome version), it is only a 1-axle system for the rear. You can not raise/lower the front.

It is in your manual, if yours is incomplete, download the entire manual from the link I provided previous post (coz they seem to have multiple versions of printed vs. online manuals and some are abbreviated but others are wayyyy too detailed with installation instructions). You need to read it cover-to-cover to understand the finer details of how it works (even though it does it in Full Automatic mode).
Old 08-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I was starting to wonder if we might just have rear air ride.
I think that might be the answer. I’ll let you know.

Titus, would like to meet again, but can you or someone explain how to PM? Not sure if I’m limping along on my iPhone. Just don’t know where to find the instructions on that also!
Old 08-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #46
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I was starting to wonder if we might just have rear air ride.
I think that might be the answer. I’ll let you know.

Titus, would like to meet again, but can you or someone explain how to PM? Not sure if I’m limping along on my iPhone. Just don’t know where to find the instructions on that also!
HAWK - Sorry to read you cut maiden trip short, but storm & hail, I don't like them either. If you end up having front air ride too, you would be the talk of the forum. Don't know anyone who has

To PM:
Click on member name.
On profile, go down to Send Message and click on it.
Choose 2nd option on drop down menu - "Send private message to <name>"

Sorry to hear you have iPhone - just kidding, can't help myself, spent 35 years on the competing side of Apple, so I take my my ill-timed & ill-advised jabs on every opportunity I get
Old 08-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Alex AVI, why does the controller have a front axle option then? I'm not arguing, just asking. Is there a bag closer to the front? As I have said multiple times, I'm just trying to figure this out without manuals. It just doesn't seem like my controller works like the literature I've seen out there. I'm just confused! It sure would be nice to level it out for that slight slope. Nothing pressing, just curious and stumped. I might check with Titus too when we get together if he'd happen to know.

I just can't get the short push/long push to get it off the rear axle option.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #48
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Alex AVI, why does the controller have a front axle option then?.
HAWK - Because that's how they designed the controller, to be usable for systems with both front&rear axle air bags and those that only have rear axle bags (i.e. every AI Sprinter that has VB Air). I did not design the system, so I can not answer the rationale behind having a front axle option on a unit that only has rear bags. You have to contact VBAir USA if you insist on having a logical answer.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:57 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I think my confusion is in reading someone posting they could level or the air ride system was capable of raising BOTH the front and rear independently by 3".

Misinformation it seems. I'm getting what you are saying. They use the same controller for different systems and applications. We're good. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:27 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I think you have to have engine running, emergency brake engaged for the manual adjustments to work. Then it stays engaged when you turn engine off...thus remaining level. I had problems and went to Mercedes to check my brake. There is a wire that was disconnected that allowed the brake to communicate with the remote. I was told the AR has to know the brake engaged to manually engage. Otherwise, you've probably noticed that AR disengages when you park and get out...you hear the air release
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #51
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Iemergency brake engaged for the manual adjustments to work. Then it stays engaged when you turn engine off...thus remaining level.
MANSDERM161 - Yes, the emergency brake needs to be engaged (1-click is all that is needed) for manual adjustments. But engine does not have to be running, as long as ignition key is in ON position. There is a run-time-extension where the system can still be adjusting to desired level after ignition key is turned off (approx. 5 or 10 mins depending on configuration). Then it shuts off on it's own and remains at that level. Once ignition is turned back ON, and parking brake released, the system will automatically readjust to what VB calls "Ride Height" setting - it's the dynamic setting that takes into account weight, terrain, speed, etc. to automatically keep re-adjusting many times a second as you drive. It is a very smart system - no wonder it cost over $7,000. You couldn't pay me that much to manually do that on every trip
Old 08-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #52
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I think my confusion is in reading someone posting they could level or the air ride system was capable of raising BOTH the front and rear independently by 3".

Misinformation it seems.
HAWK - it depends. If in context of a Sprinter based AI, yes it is misinformation. If in context of a different vehicle, then it may be accurate. Accurate information could be misinformation if applied in the wrong context.

I only trust published information for my specific vehicle.
Below is the VB-FullAir-2C Sprinter 5,0t official Technical Specifications
Caution: all values in metric (mm)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-08-18 095458.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	349780