Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #1

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Winter Springs , Florida
Interstate: Under hood generator and dealer discounts

Hello
New to the forum and to airstream.

We are about to purchase a 2014.5 Interstate Lounge Ext 9 passenger to be used primarily as a daily driver for a large family to use for football, weekend travel, etc.
I understand that there may be better transportation options such as regular conversion vans with porta potty and so forth, however we are sold on the Interstate. (We currently own a Honda Odyssey)

Having said that I need some advice.

Is it possible/feasible to install an under the hood belt driven generator with transfer switch and an automatic high idle switch to run the AC while driving or while parked? In my opinion, the LP generator is too loud to be used when just driving around. The engine should have no problem driving a 3500 - 4000 watt generator. I understand that the engine should not idle at slow rpms for long periods of time hence the fast idle switch.

My 2nd question is in regards to dealer discount off the msrp. On regular RVs there is typically a 25-30% margin built into the msrp. Does the same discount apply to Class Bs?. Most dealers I've contacted are quoting a similar 12-15% discount.

Thank you very much. I am looking forward to your responses and advice.
Interstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Go online and look at ADVANCED RV from Ohio and ROADTREK from Canada (their E-TREK model). Both of these companies are installing engine driven alternator/generators to do just that. Buying an Interstate would require a visit to a Mercedes dealer to have them install the hi-idle option (it can be added) and adding a mooting bracket for the 2nd alternator (it can be done) but both are expensive to do once the chassis is built. I don't think that Airstream would order you one with these options, even if you paid of the options as there would be a rather lengthy delay waiting for completion of the chassis.

I was at the dealer looking at a Roadtrek when we switched and looked at the Airstream. Difference in cabinetry was amazing and the Airstream with the extended length body was what sold us. We do camp in ours so needed space was important. BUT I think I'd rather have the Roadtrek since it has a much larger refrigerator and better access into the bathroom. And it is somewhat less expensive, but as i stated also does not have the extended body which we wanted. We visited Advanced RV in Ohio and were VERY pleased with their build quality but they are a new "start up" manufacturer, which is not necessarily bad, as long as they survive. Their units are built to your needs individually but at a higher cost than Airstream, but I feel at a better quality also than Airstream

It all depends on your needs, use and budget.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate View Post
Is it possible/feasible to install an under the hood belt driven generator with transfer switch and an automatic high idle switch to run the AC while driving or while parked? In my opinion, the LP generator is too loud to be used when just driving around. The engine should have no problem driving a 3500 - 4000 watt generator. I understand that the engine should not idle at slow rpms for long periods of time hence the fast idle switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
Buying an Interstate would require a visit to a Mercedes dealer to have them install the hi-idle option (it can be added) and adding a mooting bracket for the 2nd alternator (it can be done) but both are expensive to do once the chassis is built.
In my experience with my Mercedes/Sprinter dealer, they would probably NOT install stuff like that. They would tell you to take it to an "upfitter." I wanted to get a second chassis battery installed under the hood. Even though some Sprinters come from the factory with a second battery, they refused to do the install, saying that I'd have to take it to an upfitter for that. I haven't actually sought out an upfitter yet; I'm still paying for the Koni shocks and RennTech ECU tune that I had done, but I'll probably start looking for upfitters along the Gulf Coast as soon as those bills are paid.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate View Post
Hello
New to the forum and to airstream.

We are about to purchase a 2014.5 Interstate Lounge Ext 9 passenger to be used primarily as a daily driver for a large family to use for football, weekend travel, etc.
I understand that there may be better transportation options such as regular conversion vans with porta potty and so forth, however we are sold on the Interstate. (We currently own a Honda Odyssey)

Having said that I need some advice.

My 2nd question is in regards to dealer discount off the msrp. On regular RVs there is typically a 25-30% margin built into the msrp. Does the same discount apply to Class Bs?. Most dealers I've contacted are quoting a similar 12-15% discount.

Thank you very much. I am looking forward to your responses and advice.
Actually many rv's have a 40% markup from dealer cost. The Airstream Interstate however is marked up 30%. Good luck.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote