Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #21
Engineer

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
SENATOBIA , Mississippi
We have 300 Watts of solar panels on roof. We have a monitor on house battery that shows amps, watts, and amp hours. We have a 120 V monitor to check how much power appliances use. We have a load tester to check 12 V batteries. They should hold over 10 V for 10 seconds under load. Your starting battery is between the seats up front. My 2016 GT starting battery is still holding 12.8 V. There is a button on the lower left dash to connect the house and starting battery systems for emergency start of engine if needed. The alternator puts out 14 V and charges all the batteries while traveling which you can monitor with this: https://www.google.com/search?q=car+voltage+monitor
in the power port below the ash tray. We replaced the two 12 V AGM batteries under the back driver side with a 400 Amp Hour lithium in the box in the floor behind the rear seats. We put over 10,000 miles on our GT last year going to Yellowstone and across the Dakotas back to Memphis usually spending one or two nights per stop. We added a tire monitoring system and power protector (50 Amp with 30 Amp adapters) as well. We installed a plug in garage for while we are home. We have friends moving to California and plan to make a trip.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to send them to clif@ieee.org
wwwtractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
You understand that, as a newbie, you don't know what you don't know (that alone puts you ahead of most RV newbies). In RVing, there's a LOT you DO need to know because, unlike a traditional "sticks & bricks" home, an RV (ANY RV) is truly a "moving target". Things that can be safely ignored for years in a "Stick & Brick" most likely need to be checked and maintained in an RV on a regular basis. The BEST way I know of to get educated fast, is to attend an RV Boot Camp. Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. At RVBC you, along with a couple of hundred other newbies, will have ALL the systems found on a modern RV explained and demystified. Arcane topics like RATINGS (GVWR, GCWR, CCC, tire, wheel and axle ratings are confusing and easily overlooked BUT, are critical for the safe operation of an RV). The RVSEF, over DECADES of properly weighing RVs, has documented that MORE THAN HALF of the RVs on the road are OVERWEIGHT in at least one parameter. At RVBC, over the course of a weekend (or longer depending on what group is presenting) attendees will gain knowledge that otherwise could take years to learn. With the Covid19 Pandemic, MOST RV events have been canceled this year. A while ago, I read online the the Escapees RV Club was considering hosting a virtual RVBC. It's something worth looking into. RVBC graduates are SAFER RVers and, SMARTER RV buyers. It's usually a LOT cheaper to learn from other people's mistakes that it is to make those mistakes on your own. In addition to the Escapees RV Club, FMCA, the RVSEF and RV~Dreams all offer their own version of this important educational product. JUST DO IT! You can thank me later.

PS: You bought an Airstream. The Quality Control at Airstream is BETTER that the QC at most other RV builders (often significantly better). That's one reason that Airstreams cost more. With proper care, it's common to see Airstreams that are DECADES OLD still in service and, commanding higher resale prices than "ordinary" RVs.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #23
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
RV Boot Camp

Our WBAC unit is hosting two "boot camps" each year in concert with Camper Clinic II here in Austin. Camper Clinic was recently sold and will be renamed. They have consistently been one of the highest selling dealers.

The boot camps are held at Lake Bastrop LCRA South Shore Park and are held over two days. The dealer has been more than cooperative in spreading the word to new owners.

I suspect that it will be more trailer oriented, but it still should be useful for AI newbies.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote