Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Delray Beach , Florida
Idea for front seat beds and help deciding on a trailer.

Hi all,

What a great forum. I am a new owner of a 2017 Interstate Lounge Ext and I have been reading everything regarding my new Sadie. Many questions have been answered as a result and I am very greatful to the members for all their comments.

One recurring question has been regarding adding beds to the front seats. If that was possible, Sadie could effectively sleep two adults and two kids comfortably (I still have two more to go). Well, I was perusing air matress online and came upon the attached product, which appears like a workable solution if the gaps between the seats were filled. I purchased one and will endeavor to make this work. I will let you know how it goes and will attach pictures.

I purchased Sadie as a daily driver for when our family of six have to go somewhere together. My four boys are getting bigger and this beauty fit the bill perfectly. Anyway, I also want to use it for family camping trips, especially our summer trip I am planning to Yellowstone. As such, I will definitely need to pull a trailer and the size will depend on how many I can sleep in sweet Sadie. I have never really pulled a trailer so I am thinking that the smaller the better, especially keeping within the weight limits. As much as I would love to pull another Airstream, the one I want is too big for Sadie to pull so I am looking at two light alternatives. One is a Jayco Jayfeather 19XUD (http://www.jayco.com/products/travel...ather-7/19xud/) and the other is a Jayco camping trailer model 12UD (http://www.jayco.com/products/campin...ay-sport/12ud/). I am open to other recommendations, but Jayco seems to offer good value and my Airstream dealer also sells Jayco products.

Now comes the twist, I am leaning to the camping trailer since it folds and fits into my garage pretty easily, but, I f I can sleep two kids in sweet Sadie, then I can actually contemplate getting the new AS base camp and sleep the other two kids there. It's small enough to fit in my garage so that's good.

With all that said, I would appreciate advice on this matter. Please bear in mind that I have zero experience towing a trailer. Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	276198  
BocaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the AirForums.

That looks like a sweet solution for sleeping two more in front.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Welcome to Air Forums!

You may also want to also take a look at the ol' front bed standby developed by Roadtrek Life (his blog post on that one is here).

He also references an aisle bed, which would not work for me as I get up to visit the lav every night, like the sun rises in the east. An aisle bed would block any such option. Anyway, that option is here. This blogger is a DIY owner, and Roadtrek Life is different from RoadtrekING (aka the Wendlands).

With as many kids as you have, my personal preference would be the Base Camp. You'd solve a lot of logistical issues with that. You have to tow a trailer either way, so it might as well function optimally.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
I would just get a trailer for the 4 kids and be done with it. That popup looks nice for the price.

Spent many weekends as a kid camping in our popup. I can't remember the brand but remember my parents friends bought one too and they were $1300 in 1966.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #5
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
I thought about it but its only good for one. I also considerred the ones Road Trek sells but it appears too cumbersome and would take too much space when being stored. Ill see how the air bed works, but Ill probably have to get a trailer for 4 after all.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:37 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
You say you have no experience towing a trailer. Have no fear, just look at this forum. We all figured it out and so can you. We've met Airstreamers on their first trip on the day they picked up their brandy new Airstream and they figured it out too. There have also been some bloopers so we need to avoid them. Stay within the limits of your Interstates specs, maybe even rent a U-Haul trailer for a day to practice and get the hang of it. It's not rocket science but it does take some practice. If you elect to go that route take your time, find a large empty parking lot to practice and go for it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaDad View Post
Hi all,

What a great forum. I am a new owner of a 2017 Interstate Lounge Ext and I have been reading everything regarding my new Sadie. Many questions have been answered as a result and I am very greatful to the members for all their comments.

One recurring question has been regarding adding beds to the front seats. If that was possible, Sadie could effectively sleep two adults and two kids comfortably (I still have two more to go). Well, I was perusing air mattress online and came upon the attached product, which appears like a workable solution if the gaps between the seats were filled. I purchased one and will endeavor to make this work. I will let you know how it goes and will attach pictures.
My solution was to use the table top as a "bridge" between the two front seats (I just have one child....the dogs don't count, but don't tell them I said that ). It's already in the coach so I don't need to add anything, and it fits perfectly between the seats, acting like a little bench for the air mattress to rest on. I use a twin size air mattress, but the one you show in your picture includes underside supports which is even better. Can you provide a link to the one you purchased? Thanks!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
You say you have no experience towing a trailer. Have no fear, just look at this forum. We all figured it out and so can you. We've met Airstreamers on their first trip on the day they picked up their brandy new Airstream and they figured it out too. There have also been some bloopers so we need to avoid them. Stay within the limits of your Interstates specs, maybe even rent a U-Haul trailer for a day to practice and get the hang of it. It's not rocket science but it does take some practice. If you elect to go that route take your time, find a large empty parking lot to practice and go for it.
Great advise. I didn't think of simply renting a u-haul. Ill try that. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #9
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
My solution was to use the table top as a "bridge" between the two front seats (I just have one child....the dogs don't count, but don't tell them I said that ). It's already in the coach so I don't need to add anything, and it fits perfectly between the seats, acting like a little bench for the air mattress to rest on. I use a twin size air mattress, but the one you show in your picture includes underside supports which is even better. Can you provide a link to the one you purchased? Thanks!
This is the one I ordered:

FBSport Car Travel Inflatable Mattress Air Bed Camping Universal SUV Back Seat Couch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EKT08U8..._faZpybVK284RB
Old 11-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaDad View Post
This is the one I ordered:

FBSport Car Travel Inflatable Mattress Air Bed Camping Universal SUV Back Seat Couch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EKT08U8..._faZpybVK284RB
Thanks!

I ordered one that looked very similar but was a bit less expensive. It will interesting to see how it fits compared to the twin mattress.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:25 AM   #11
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Two bedroom

Only way to go !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1833.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	276245  
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:14 PM   #12
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaubill View Post
Only way to go !
The only models that are under 500lb hitch weight are the sport. Is that what you have? I really would like to pull the Flying Cloud 23D with bunks, but that has a 720 hitch weight. Is there a way to get around that? If so, I'd buy it.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #13
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Interstate

At the Canopener last year there was an Interstate pulling a 25ft International. I spoke with him and he told me that Foley RV the Airstream dealer in Gulfport MS set up his Interstate and trailer. Our van is a 2500 with a 5 cy MB engine his was a 3500 with the v6 MB engine. We pull the 21ft Sovereign with no problems and hardly know it's back there. We have pulled it in the mountain, no problems there either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1830.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	276432  
Old 12-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #14
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Quote:
At the Canopener last year there was an Interstate pulling a 25ft International. I spoke with him and he told me that Foley RV the Airstream dealer in Gulfport MS set up his Interstate and trailer. Our van is a 2500 with a 5 cy MB engine his was a 3500 with the v6 MB engine. We pull the 21ft Sovereign with no problems and hardly know it's back there. We have pulled it in the mountain, no problems there either.
Very interesting. I did some research and the 1996 Sovereign had specs of 4250/600/5500 for dry, hitch, and gross weights while the 25' International has 5580/835/7300. Did you make any upgrades to the AI for towing purposes? I am leaning very much to a 2017 Jayco X23B hybrid model (https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...-feather/x23b/) since it balances all my needs pretty well, but I'm afraid of the weight. I was also considering the CampLite CL21BHS (https://www.livinlite.com/products/c...s/CL21BHS.html) as a result of that fear, but now I'm torn. The good thing is that they both share the same parent as my Aistream so at least I'm keeping it in the family.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:32 AM   #15
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Towing

Want to know more about Airstream towing, check out www.canamrv.ca. They are the airstream dealer in Canada. They put on a towing seminar at the Alumapalooza rally at the factory each year. Check out their web site and give them a call, it's toll free. The only thing we did to the van was to install a 7 way plug in for the trailer.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #16

Evergreen , Colorado
bed hacks using petdek.com

Hello. I will have the same problem that you have. My van is not here yet, however, thinking through on how best to organize the van and maximize the space. I have 2 little kids and really would like to set up the 4 captain chairs for beds. I ordered 2 platforms from petdek.com tables for it. One for the front and one for the back. The platforms are tested up to 200lbs. I believe on the FAQ it states it will work on captain chairs. However, if that is too expensive, may I suggest using a narrow folding table and retrofitting it. I bought some mattresses from REI that I will throw on top of the petdek. I bought 2 and we will see if both fit. If they don't I will return one unit.

A couple things to note, I think the 4x4 will bring in a new market for airstream. I also believe that once petdek realizes they can use these for beds for RV. They should reposition their marketing/increase their pricing. There are no solutions from RV vendors that I have found. If you know of additional suggestions regarding this topic. I personally would love to here.

The seats do not fold down or fold back completely on the captain chairs.

I hope that helps you.
melburns1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You can also recline the back of the front seat 'til it's horizontal and put a platform across it and the second row. A piece of fabric-covered plywood and hinged in the middle can form a solid bridge between them, then folded and stored behind the second row seats.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #18
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Quote:
Want to know more about Airstream towing, check out www.canamrv.ca. They are the airstream dealer in Canada. They put on a towing seminar at the Alumapalooza rally at the factory each year. Check out their web site and give them a call, it's toll free. The only thing we did to the van was to install a 7 way plug in for the trailer.
I watched all the videos. Thank you. Very informative. Regarding your AI, I it based on the EXT version of the Sprinter chassis? Also, have you ever weighed your Svereign when fully loaded? How much did it weigh? Just curious.

On another note, I posted another thread regarding an experience
I just had reserving a site for our summer vacation. I was told that since I am towing an RV with an RV, I would have to reserve two adjacent sites. Could you please share your experience reserving sites when towing your sovereign with your AI. Please post your response in the new thread. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #19
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Camping

We have stayed in national parks,state parks,corp of eng parks, you name it, we have never had a problem, and have never been ask to reserve 2 spots. In some cases we have hooked up both to the power station, in those cases we use the 50amp reducer to 30. It helps the frig to be on elec while camping in the van. Hook both up. Big MH with 2 a/c etc use much more power than our small ones
Old 12-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #20

Encinitas , CA
I'm soooo curious about how this turns out. It's so strange to me that Airstream didn't conceptualize a better approach to transporting 7 people, but only sleeping 2. SMH.
NomadUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote