Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
It didn't matter when AS installed it and I think they did it this way for manufacturing expediency with the long flex pipe but I don't have as much give now with just two short flexible connectors, I lined it up so there isn't any stress on the pipes. I did have to trim a small corner of the large bracket on the propane tank so the elbow would fit and I'm probably going to add a hanger to reduce vibration going down the road.

Another annoying thing about the original macerator install was the studs welded onto the bracket so the bolts had to be removed from the top. This is swell when it's sitting high on a lift, but in my driveway not so much. I picked up four M6 rubber mounts so I can easily unscrew it from the bottom.

Funny that Flojet says something like "don't expose to water" or something similar right on the unit so in it's original install position leaves it exposed to road spray anytime the road is wet. The factory bracket has a 1/2" lip which would provide little protection so the new plate I added extends 4" vertically and since it's closer to the fresh water tank, it should be slightly more protected.
Thanks for the explanation. You did it the way it should have been done in the first place. First class job.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
I don't think there will be a problem with PVC/ABS as the OE ABS is mounted solidly to the unibody. I used ABS although PVC should be fine and there is no direct glued connection, (they do make a special PVC to ABS glue). I also duplicated the factory AS connector using Schedule 80, (really because they wanted $75 + shipping & two-weeks). The blue hose is a silicone turbo induction hose that adds more flex than others like Kanaflex so it's not actually hard-piped and has give on both sides.
BEN322 - Great info & Nicely done! I like that it has give on both sides. Silicone turbo induction hose = No wonder it looks pretty trick Thanks for elaborating. Now added to my to do winter list. Best time for me to do this since all my sewer lines have been triple cleaned and anti-frozen, so it won't be too stinky
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
now I am able to leave valves open (gray only) and trip the gray water on the read during travel.
Was supposed to read "drip the gray water on the road during travel"?

If so, YIKES!
Old 12-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
BEN322 - very nice job. I see you also added an extra gate valve right at the gravity dump outlet. Very smart as it will minimize leakage when you need to use the extra dump.

I also used a silicon turbo induction hose coupler that I bought from local auto parts store. After a year of use I noticed a small drip right at the macerator pump coupling. I just put a few more turns on the screw clamp and the drip stopped. Having a gravity dump option is nice backup.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Was supposed to read "drip the gray water on the road during travel"?

If so, YIKES!

Yes you right sorry my bad English and spell check did not pick it up.
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I followed the lead and used a flexible T connection. I think it is good because it hangs a little low and my touch something which it has enough flex.
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote