Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2018, 07:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Dayton , Montana
Fusion 3.7 update and map fix

I continue to use the Fusion software update site for latest updates.

https://www.fusionentertainment.com/...upport/updates

Have the Fusion system format a blank usb drive. Under settings software update.

Software Version: 3.70
VIM Version: 2.90
Installation Instructructions

Upgrading the RV-IN801 will require a SD card or USB flash drive with at least 500 MB of free space. The update
process includes two parts: Updatng VIM and Updatng system.
Warning: During the update process, do not power down the RV-IN801.
Updatng VIM:
1. Create a folder named “Garmin” (case sensitve) under root directory of the SD card or USB flash drive.
2. Create a folder named “Update” (case sensi ve) under “Garmin” that was created in step 1.
3. Copy all three (3) files under “Vim_Update” into “Garmin\Update\” on the SD card or USB flash drive.
4. Eject the SD card or USB flash drive from the computer and plug it into the RV-IN801.
5. A dialog will pop up on the RV-IN801 for updatng. Follow the on-screen instructons to apply the update.
6. After the update finishes, eject the SD card or USB flash drive from the RV-IN801 proceed to update system.
Updatng System:
1. Delete all files under “Garmin\Update\” on the SD card or USB flash drive.
2. Copy “B248800.update” into “Garmin\Update\”.
3. Eject the SD card or USB flash drive from the computer and plug it into the RV-IN801.
4. A dialog will pop up on the RV-IN801 for upda ng. Follow the on-screen instruc ons to apply the update.
5. After the RV-IN801 finishes rebootng, the update process has finished.

Changelog
Fix map unlock issue on map update. Bug fixes.

Now the map update will load.
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Thanks for letting us know there was an update. I had gotten the maps to load before but now I have everything up to date.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
I continue to use the Fusion software update site for latest updates.

Changelog
Fix map unlock issue on map update. Bug fixes.

Now the map update will load.
PEZVELA, Thank you. I been holding off on updates due to everyone having problems, but will try this one soon. Thanks again. I hope works.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Broomfield , Colorado
Thanks! I was eventually able to get up to 3.6 with 2018 maps after much gnashing of teeth, clicking of heels, and random cosmic ray interactions.

Now I have to ask myself if I want to update to 3.7 .... it seems like it might prevent future "can't unlock maps" issues if I do, but...
blyon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Doing the 3.7 update tonight...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #6

Orlando , Florida
Done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3343.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	317975  
WBCCI #26769
Old 08-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Gallatin Gateway , Montana
3.7 update worked with no issues; total time to update took about 10-15 minutes
bob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
I successfully updated to 3.70 and 2018.20. Used a 32GB card previously formatted in a camera, Garmin Express, and a Mac laptop. The only hitch was getting the "Can't unlock maps" message after the system update step. Removed and reinserted card, but it only offered to update my system again. I went to the Settings / Installed Maps area and unchecked/rechecked the 2016 map. Immediately it said "Found New Maps" and offered to update. The update took a LONG time (consistent with the size of the map data) and finally finished successfully.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Leigh & Bettie, I've updated to 3.7 but my maps are 2016.2. If I might ask, how did you update the map data - did you use FusionExpress and download the Map data which appears to be a bunch of zip files. I'm downloading from FusionExpress now but am not sure whether I need to unzip the files or not? Perhaps at the end of the download it'll tell me. Thx.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob323 View Post
Leigh & Bettie, I've updated to 3.7 but my maps are 2016.2. If I might ask, how did you update the map data - did you use FusionExpress and download the Map data which appears to be a bunch of zip files. I'm downloading from FusionExpress now but am not sure whether I need to unzip the files or not? Perhaps at the end of the download it'll tell me. Thx.
I think you mean GarminExpress? You don't unZip any files; the update process handles that. I followed the recommended process, and it almost worked. I had to kickstart one part. The steps below are from memory and may not be exact.
  1. Download GarminExpress from the Garmin site to my (MacBook) laptop.
  2. Put SD card in Fusion and choose "Create Card" on Setup menu.
  3. Run GarminExpress on my laptop
  4. Insert prepared SD card into my laptop
  5. "Add Device" in GarminExpress
  6. GE recognized the Fusion codes on the card and added the device
  7. Downloaded the install package including software update and maps. Took about an hour.
  8. Took card back to Fusion and inserted it
  9. On Setup menu choose Update
  10. Proceeded to let it update the software. An R2D2 figure appears on the screen for a few minutes, the system reboots, and indicates it is now at level 3.70
  11. I can't remember if I initiated a map update, or if Fusion prompted me. But when the update started, I got the "Can't unlock maps" error.
  12. I tried removing/inserting the card, same result.
  13. I went to the Setup screen and under "Installed Maps" I unchecked and rechecked the 2016 map. The system immediately informed me there is a map update available and asked to proceed.
  14. When it started to update, R2D2 came back and the message read "Updating System" (not maps). It took a very long time, I wondered if it was hung up. But this is consistent with the large size of the data files containing the maps.
  15. When it finished and rebooted I was at 2018 maps.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:57 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Thank you. The process, as you described, worked like a charm! As I had already updated to 3.7 (which fixed the "Can't unlock maps" error), the map update worked without any errors or intervention but, as you stated, it took a long time - probably about an hour plus/minus! Again, thanks for your help.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:37 PM   #12
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
So frustrating as I was excited to update to 3.7 to overcome the can’t unlock maps error, but alas mine won’t even update the software- it immediately gives me the can’t unlock maps error when I plug in the USB stick with new software and maps. I’m stuck at 3.5.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Follow these instructions carefully to update to 3.7 (maps will be updated in next step below). https://www.fusionentertainment.com/...upport/updates

After successfully updating to 3.7, insert a blank card/memory stick into your Fusion head unit, select Update in the menu and press 'Create card', take the card/stick to your computer, log into GarminExpress, insert your card/memory stick into your computer and follow GarminEpresd instructions by loading everything available onto your card/stick. Then take your card/stick back to your head unit, insert it and select Update in the menu and follow the prompts. It'll update the maps (takes about an hour plus/minus) and it'll give you an error code when finished indicating that not all updates were successful (reason being that you've already updated to 3.7 via previous step).

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
So frustrating as I was excited to update to 3.7 to overcome the can’t unlock maps error, but alas mine won’t even update the software- it immediately gives me the can’t unlock maps error when I plug in the USB stick with new software and maps. I’m stuck at 3.5.
Another tick to try: with the SD card inserted, go to the Setup menu for navigation. Look for the Installed Maps check box. Uncheck your current map (2016) and recheck it. At that point, I got a message saying new maps were available, do I want to update. It worked at that point.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #15
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Thanks for replies. After doing all the crazy tricks recommended here and on another thread, I got it all updated! Hopefully next time won’t be so difficult.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #16

Orlando , Florida
Updated again...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7082.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	378938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7083.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	378939  

WBCCI #26769
Old 10-04-2021, 05:07 PM   #17

St George , Utah
Exclamation Problems Updating a RV-IN801

I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade my unit and the only thing that seems to be able to upgrade is the Software Version.

Unfortunately, I’ve exhausted every idea with Garmin/Fusion Tech Support and my local Airstream Dealer to update my VIM and maps over the last few months since they don’t have older versions of the software to try…

The current device on the about screen after all efforts shows:
Model: RV-IN801
Hardware Version: V3
Software Version 3.80
RV Parks: 2016.10
RV Services: 2016.10
VIM Version: 2.30
Audio Version: 2.70
Text Version: 3.80

Any assistance, ideas, or updates newer than mine would be greatly appreciated!
AirRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirRide View Post
I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade my unit and the only thing that seems to be able to upgrade is the Software Version.

Unfortunately, I’ve exhausted every idea with Garmin/Fusion Tech Support and my local Airstream Dealer to update my VIM and maps over the last few months since they don’t have older versions of the software to try…

The current device on the about screen after all efforts shows:
Model: RV-IN801
Hardware Version: V3
Software Version 3.80
RV Parks: 2016.10
RV Services: 2016.10
VIM Version: 2.30
Audio Version: 2.70
Text Version: 3.80

There are 2 main threads for updating Fusion RV-IN801:
1. This thread you are in.
2. And this OTHER THREAD.

I am not going to repeat every and all procedures, suggestions, and tricks - given you haven't even provided any details of how the updates failed, screenshots, error messages, etc. Read the above 2 threads completely and follow every process. Every update issue that I have read or encountered was a majority user caused (not following instructions to the letter) or afew minority were problem with card (not using correct card size, formatting, or card reader - whether it be usb or sd reader).

Make sure you have latest GE (Garmin Express 7.9.0.0).

The only suggestions I will make separately (which are also in both threads above) are:
1. I have always done Factory Reset before starting any of my updates. When you bungle up an update, for most computers, it is always best to start from a known good place and could only be achieved with a Factory Reset.
2. Then I also do a hard reset (hold power button 15secs or kill switch to force complete reset - this is different from factory reset) after the updates from the card completes because all changes in mine did not take effect until I did hard reset.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirRide View Post
Another new member asking for assistance -BUT-
It is quite difficult to further help people who are requesting help but do not respond to suggestions given. I have other ideas but have decided to not post it given the obvious lack of interest.