Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Black tank leak--Seek excellent repair shop

There's a leak in my 2007 Interstate black tank. My husband lifted the toilet and resealed it and we crossed our fingers. Didn't work. A trickle comes out from under the cabinetry on to the floor.

I took it to the Airstream dealership in Greensburg, Pa and they were no help at all. They seemed totally unfamiliar with the Interstate. I also called the company and they didn't help either. We aren't handy. Anyone know a great RV repair in western PA or eastern Ohio? Even northern W. Va would be OK. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
If the tank is plastic try West Systems G/Flex Epoxy. This is a 2-part epoxy formulated for plastics. I haven't found much that it won't bond together. West Marine distributes most West Systems products.
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
You may be better off if you re-post this in the Sprinter and B-van forum. More attention and definitely more replies!

Having said that, I do remember a post in which someone had their black tank vent pipe completely shear off at the join with the black tank. And this caused some content to escape when it was being driven. That may have been a later model, not sure, but worth considering in your case.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:21 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
You may be better off if you re-post this in the Sprinter and B-van forum. More attention and definitely more replies!
Done.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The factory service center in Jackson Center Ohio is not in "eastern Ohio," but it is in central Ohio. If you don't find a solution closer to home, it would be worth a trip to get this done right. Nothing will ruin a trip faster than black tank product all over the floor.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Hello, knotdonne. I can't help you by naming a specific repair shop in your area, but I CAN tell you what to ask of a repair shop once you find one, and this is important because many repair shops have never set eyes on an Interstate before.

You may have one visible leak in the commode area that you know of thus far, but chances are good that your 2007 actually has more going on than just that one breach, and if you take it in for repair, you'll want to get everything examined at one time.

Our 2007 Interstate, which we bought lightly used less than a year ago with only about 26,000 miles on it, proved to have the following plumbing issues (which were unfortunately not discovered pre-purchase despite the fact that we paid an independent inspector to evaluate the vehicle):

(1) Black tank vent line sheared off the tank, leading to slosh of black water out the top of the tank and onto the interior floor. Repair sequence described here:

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: FIXING THE BLACK / GRAY VENT LINE ON AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE

(2) Three lines sheared off the gray water tank. This was a bit trickier to notice because the gray tank is under the chassis and therefore leak evidence mostly ended up on the ground. Repair sequence in these posts (if these links don't work, search for The Interstate Blog on Blogspot and go to the Repairs tab):

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: INTERSTATE LEAKING GRAY WATER, PART 1: THE PROBLEM
THE INTERSTATE BLOG: INTERSTATE LEAKING GRAY WATER, PART 2: TANK REMOVAL
THE INTERSTATE BLOG: INTERSTATE LEAKING GRAY WATER, PART 3: TANK RE-INSTALL

^^ If you take that information to any reputable RV repair shop, it should help to get them oriented and give them a running start of what to check for with your model. We have the mid-bath 2007 but the general arrangement and construction materials appear to be the same on all of the 2007 Interstates that we've seen to date (mid-bath, rear-bath).

In finding an RV repair shop, if I were you I would avoid the urge to find an Airstream-affiliated shop and I would instead look for an independent operator. Local RV forums and review sites might be able to help you to identify one with a good reputation. I say this because, although my husband and I heard accounts of Airstream doing a lot of warranty fixes on plumbing on our vintage of Interstate, I would guess that there are no residual claims that could be made on vehicles as old as ours are now (the issue of whether these plumbing line breaks represent an initial product defect is another discussion entirely).

Hope this helps! Good luck with it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
This is the thread I was thinking of; much the same info, but includes some pictures:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135825

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote