Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Anyone use an air mattress?

I'm still trying to resolve my comfort issue with the bed... The wamsutta toppers are good for a night or two but on the third day, I start to ache from the lumps and bumps. I'm thinking about adding an air mattress and was wondering what you all recommend.

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
no but I always use them tent camping and would not go any other way. We had a Sleep Number at home. It was good but returned it as we did not think it was worth the money.

Here is a company that makes custom RV air mattresses.
Americana Bear Beds - Home of the Teddy Bear Air Beds
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We love our Sleep Number and after having one for several years, would pay whatever the price.

However, after trying several models, I would suggest buying a level 5 or higher.

The air bags are the same in all models, but the type and thickness of the foam gets better as the price goes up.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
I'm still trying to resolve my comfort issue with the bed... The wamsutta toppers are good for a night or two but on the third day, I start to ache from the lumps and bumps. I'm thinking about adding an air mattress and was wondering what you all recommend.
Just to clarify, you're discussing your Airstream Interstate's convertible sofa/bed, right? I ask only because the previous respondents were discussing sleep number beds.

In my Interstate, the first thing I did to make the bed more comfortable was to remove the two upholstered boards at the aft end of the side-facing seats. That leaves the jackknife mechanisms exposed, but the metal bits don't stick up above the cushions the way the boards do, so you don't feel them when you're sleeping. That one change by itself drastically increased the comfort level by removing the only real hard points.

If that's not enough, I also got a roll-up Cabela's cot pad, though I don't always use it.
Cabela's Deluxe Cot Pad : Cabela's
The regular size is exactly the right length for a non-Extended Interstate, but just a little bit narrow for two pads side-by-side to fill the full width. The large size is almost exactly the right length and width for two pads side-by-side on an extended Interstate's bed.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
Thanks protagonist! Yes, I'm talking about the sofa in my interstate.

AI Facebook Group

Old 09-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
I've tried a memory foam mattress topper in addition to the wamsutta toppers but I still have a problem getting comfortable. That is why I ordered a thin aerobed air mattress with a pump today... I hope it works out because I'm not too keen on removing parts of the chair yet. I will let you know how it works out.

AI Facebook Group

Old 09-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have a camping mattress that is vinyl with a foam insert. There is a valve that one opens and the foam causes to mattress to inflate. When the desired firmness is achieved, one closes the valve. One could "smooth" out the unevenness this way. The mattress is about 24x72x 2 inflated. The mattress rolls to about 24" x 4" I think the price was $20.00.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Los Gatos , California
When I read the posts about discomfort on the AI lounge bed I always wonder what I'm doing "wrong" in having the best sleep I get anywhere! The upholstered boards hit me about knee level and I have never noticed them. We have a bamboo mattress pad and bottom and top sheets, which roll up nicely into a duffle bag stored under the lounge. My wife sleeps equally well and is amazed at how I can sleep through for 8-9 hours when we are camping.
WBCCI Member #5506
tlundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Los Gatos , California
Here's the link to the bamboo mattress cover we bought (in king size):
Extra Plush Bamboo Top Mattress Pad - Made in the USA in Twin and more!
WBCCI Member #5506
tlundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
You might want to look at Thermarest products. That's a brand that I don't remember anyone mentioning in any of the other bed-related threads (but I've slept since then).

They make tent camping combo foam/air mattress pads, and I absolutely swear by them, have used them for the past decade. I've thrown them on top of rock piles in the Chihuahuan desert and have been perfectly comfortable for five nights in a row. Plus they are designed for trekking in the back country so they compact extremely well for storage.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Mattress Topper

We had similar issues with sleeping "raw" on the AI. It definitely needs a mattress topper to smooth things out for sleeping.

The problem we had in looking for anything to go on top is the irregular sizing. The bed is 68-70" wide and about 70-72" long, if you are not using the extender (we are not and have removed both extenders to give us more storage space in the back). That's pretty irregular sizing for any mattress topper. Queens are only 60" wide and are too long (80"). Kings are 76" wide (too wide) and also too long.

So our solution was to buy a 2" foam mattress topper (www.amazon.com/dp/B00GP4R8B) in a California King size (72"x84"), so I just had to trim one side. I used a utility scissors to do the trimming, although it would have come out better using a utility knife with a long blade and a straight edge.

The main advantage is that it is fits the bed exactly. It also rolls up for easy storage (something we would not have been able to do with a memory foam topper). The disadvantage is that, due to being cut, it will wear unevenly on that side and may eventually need to be replaced. And it doesn't provide the same level of firmness as a memory foam, but all we really needed was some foam to smooth out the rough edges and it does that for us.

I do like the idea of the bamboo mattress pad, but what do you do with the excess on each side?
BrianKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
An electric knife can cut foam very well without leaving ragged edges like a box cutter will sometimes.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
For my 1958 gutted 22' Caravanner I bought 2 each 42 pound Intek inflatable sofas which fold open to queen beds. $49 each at Shopko sale. Placed at each end. Over each is a twin foam mattress with frame hinged at window bottom. This blocks the window until folded to horizontal. So the seat belt woven aluminum frame and mattress are normally placed under the sofas until sleeping for 6 is needed. This probably is not helpful to you since you are stuck with an inefficient floor plan and have no need to sleep 6 persons.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Montrose , Colorado
Air mattress

Yes, I have used air mattresses on numerous applications. I find that if I get the right amount of air in it for my comfort level, they work well.

The only problem I ever had was with them sucking the heat out of my body, or making me sweat in heat, if I didn't pad them well with a quilt or comforter before topping with sheets. There are numerous brands and prices but I haven't really noticed much difference between my most expensive and my least expensive while sleeping.
VickieB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Electic knife for cutting foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
An electric knife can cut foam very well without leaving ragged edges like a box cutter will sometimes.
You must have a different electric knife than I have (two serrated blades moving back and forth). The one I have is used to cut our Thanksgiving turkey once a year (not that well, I might add). I'm pretty sure it would shred the foam.

So I looked at Amazon and the first page of results for "electric knife" show the kind I have. Is that what you mean? Or is there a different type of electric knife that I should have in my toolkit?
BrianKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKrueger View Post
You must have a different electric knife than I have (two serrated blades moving back and forth). The one I have is used to cut our Thanksgiving turkey once a year (not that well, I might add). I'm pretty sure it would shred the foam.
Foam should be cut with a "hot knife."
http://www.amazon.com/Horizon-Hobby-...r+cutting+foam
Old 09-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have been cutting foam for years with an electric knife. Have not shredded one yet.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
I bought a cheap electric knife on forum advice to cut our topper for our twins..worked quick, easy and great job. Loved getting that tip.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #19
coloradopete

1988 25' Excella
Montrose , Colorado
Air mattress

We purchased a "Select Comfort" dual air mattress about 7 or 8 years ago for our 25' Excella and have been very happy with performance. Using such an air mattress does require being aware of elevation change, as the air pressure required for comfort at 5000' will expand the mattress greatly at say 7000'. So you must deflate the mattress before traveling to higher elevation. We use a small portable DC to AC converter to power the pressure pump if AC power is not readily available.
coloradopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #20
AI owner since June 2013

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Farragut , Tennessee
We purchased single TempurPedic memory foam toppers which we lay side by side - they overlap a few inches but they sleep very well. They also roll up and store easily in the overhead lounge storage cubby. We are big TempurPedic fans and these toppers have worked well for us. We just bought a king RV Superbag to use on top of the toppers to eliminate the need to try to sheet the foam toppers.
FlaBucki is offline   Reply With Quote