Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
The GFI reset got me once too. Once you reset it all outlets should work on generator or plugged in.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
I have never noticed the reset on the outlet. It blended in well and I had our dog crate position right at it.

I did find the reset but I can't check the generator power yet. The unit is parked at a pretty steep angle and I am afraid to run the generator until I move it. I will do it over the weekend.

My driveway is steep enough that I scrape the exhaust unless I move at a snail's pace. Even then I still do sometimes.

I would never have found th reset button if you guys had not told me it was there.

Thanks very much.
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If the GFCI trips easily, it might need replacing.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #24
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
There are 2 GFI circuits in a 2014/13 Interstate rear couch. One is a standard wall outlet type GFI located in the outlet right behind the driver, down low towards the floor. This is inverter output. That is the first outlet on the inverter circuit and from there the other 2 outlets on the circuit are the TV outlets (if you have 2 TVs). The other GFI is actually located in the electrical panel and is a GFI Circuit Breaker for the other inside and outside outlet(s): 1 outlet over the sink area, 1 outlet on the passenger side low and forward of the couch and the other outlet is the outside outlet on the rear passenger side outside.

These 2 circuits are both protected with 20 amp breakers in the panel. Again 1 is the GFI for the outlets powered by shore/generator power and the other is a 20 amp breaker which is for the inverter: it will provide 20 amp protection through the inverter when again you are on shore/generator power, BUT when you are on battery and operating the inverter outlets you are limited to 1000 watts which using Ohm's Law and 120 volts from the inverter will provide 8.33 amps/1000 watts. On more that one occasion I had our small electric heater plugged into the inverter forward outlet when we were on shore power and I forgot to turn off the heater when I unplugged the RV. Only happened twice and now I remember to unplug the heater otherwise both the outlet GFi pops and the inverter shuts down all in the name of safety.

Now keep in mind that even though you have 2 sets of 20 amp circuits for the various outlets in the RV you only have shore power of 30 amps and less when on generator. Combined with these outlets are the AC unit, M-wave and Fridge. So careful power management is necessary. You can monitor your amperage load with the panel in the overhead and watch how many amps you are drawing thereby being careful as not to pop your 30 amp breaker either at the campground pedestal or inside your electrical distribution panel.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
... Now keep in mind that even though you have 2 sets of 20 amp circuits for the various outlets in the RV you only have shore power of 30 amps and less when on generator. Combined with these outlets are the AC unit, M-wave and Fridge. So careful power management is necessary. You can monitor your amperage load with the panel in the overhead and watch how many amps you are drawing thereby being careful as not to pop your 30 amp breaker either at the campground pedestal or inside your electrical distribution panel.
Generally I've found the built in Power Management System will keep the load below 30 amps on shore power and below 25 amps on generator. It will also keep the load below 20 amps if you select that mode when on 20 amp shore power. It will shut down circuits like the AC and M-wave to keep load under maximum available.

This system is really sweet and the envy of many other B-van owners. I consider this one of the "Best in Class" features of the Airstream Interstate.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #26
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I come from a background with our last 15 year old bus with a 17.5kw generator, 50 amps shore power, 2-15 gal elect water heaters, 3-A/C, M-wave, 110v cooktop, 2-4000 watt inverters, 6-8D RV batteries and a digital readout of load one ache of the 2 main circuits. We looked at it and determined if we were approaching max load and then just turned off something. Downsizing to the Airsteram was a BIG culture shock. But after just coming home from 3100+ miles at 17.3mpg vs the bus getting 7.3, well, we have adapted to the culture shock.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
But after just coming home from 3100+ miles at 17.3mpg vs the bus getting 7.3, well, we have adapted to the culture shock.
Big Oil™ will not thank you for saving 245 gallons of fuel on your trip, but I'm sure your wallet thanks you!