Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Miami , Florida
2015 Interstate EXT Questions

A friend is looking at a 2015 3500 EXT and several questions have come up:

1) Where is the engine start battery?
2) There is a battery in a compartment under the driver's seat. What is that battery for?
3) For some reason, one inside dual is missing. Is that a standard Mercedes steel wheel?
4) Does this coach come with a spare tire?
5) Are there any special issues to be alert for with a coach of this vintage?

Thanks for any help that you can give on these topics. Most appreciated!

Jim
2019 International Serenity 25FBT
mcc272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc272 View Post
A friend is looking at a 2015 3500 EXT and several questions have come up:

1) Where is the engine start battery?

2) There is a battery in a compartment under the driver's seat. What is that battery for?

3) For some reason, one inside dual is missing. Is that a standard Mercedes steel wheel?

4) Does this coach come with a spare tire?

5) Are there any special issues to be alert for with a coach of this vintage?

Thanks for any help that you can give on these topics. Most appreciated!

Jim

2019 International Serenity 25FBT

Hi There, I have a 2015 GT

1&2) Engine start battery is under the drivers feet

3) inside rears are standard MB steel wheels
4) yes. Under the coach behind the generator. It is lowered using the hex bolt under the couch
5) there are always issues but in my personal opinion, 2015 is a good year as it was just before the electronic blinds, fusion radio and touch screen controls. Awning was probably better in 2013 and then again later 2017+, from what I read
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
It in the manual

Those questions and more can be answered by reading the manual. Just google it. All or most documentation is available.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
So, the EXT your friend is looking at is missing one of it's dual rear wheels? Very strange and would give me pause.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:32 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Miami , Florida
Thanks

We explored the manual and the parts book extensively last evening and did find the info on the spare. There is really nothing in the manual on the chassis battery and only limited info on the wheel. We have also been googling a good bit and have seen a number of threads on dead batteries. That seems to be something to watch out for, especially if the coach will be stored without being plugged in. Also, the charge controller seems to limit the output of an already weak solar panel.

Re the missing wheel, yes, that is a concern. He needs to check but we think that it is likely that the wheel may be in place but without a tire on it. Having had DRW myself (not a Sprinter), I can't imagine how a single wheel could be mounted but an upcoming closer inspection will reveal the truth.

Schmitte, your comments on the 2015 vintage were especially helpful

Thanks again.

Jim

mcc272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Cleveland , Georgia
Question Filling BOTH rear tires on the Atlas.

Hello all,

I have a 2020 Atlas, cousin to the Interstate. I love the rig except for some slider problems.

The documentation says that there is no spare tire. The Atlas has single tires on the front axle and dual tires in the rear. I guess the Interstate is the same.

While we're on the subject, I checked the rear tire valves. There is one valve on each rear tire, but there are two tires on each rear wheel. How do I check the tire pressure on the inside tire and, if needed, put air into that tire?

Good luck to Jim and enjoy your Interstate.

Regards, Krikati
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikati View Post
How do I check the tire pressure on the inside tire and, if needed, put air into that tire?

Regards, Krikati
It requires a long double-headed gage to check and air the duals. You must reach in and pull to check the outer tire and you must push to check the inner tire. You can get a gage with the dual head at any truck stop and sometimes at WM.

Checking the duals is not fun unless you hae the floppy rubber valve stems replaced with rigid stems. That makes it a lot easier to seat the gage on the valve. Even then, it is easy to drop a valve cap in the restricted space.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I unscrewed a two-piece retractable ink pen and used one half of it as an extension to reach the valve stem cap on the inner dual. The ID of the pen shell was a bit larger than the OD of the cap, so I used a piece of duct tape (what else!) to get a nice snug fit. Push the pen shell over the cap and unscrew it. After reattaching the cap a slight tug on the pen shell will remove it from the cap. No more dropping the valve stem cap between the duals and having to fish it out. I keep my ink pen shell, a dual-head pressure gauge, and a dual head air chuck in the map pocket behind the drivers seat.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:16 AM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I do pretty much the same thing with a short length of tubing. Good friction fit on the valve cap.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote