Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forhighways View Post
Can the fuses to the power awning be pulled so as to totally remove chance of awning opening? Would power step be affected?
No pulling the fuse is not going to remove the chance of unintended deployment. It is a mechanical failure in the gearbox of the awning. Secure it in the stowed position with velcro straps before traveling. This will reduce the chances of failure-deployment. Cheap peace of mind and safety.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
New York , New York
This sounds like a great idea. I still have the original strapped to the van and no plans to use it again but I do miss having a shady awning to sit under outside the van. Do you have any other photos you share of your hack?

Thanks,
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
You can pull fuse #10 under the drivers seat that cuts power to the step and awning. The awning would be susceptible to a strong wind and possible damage. In this case it would be wise to not leave it out unattended. I got two 8' expanding brush poles and added a 1/4" alum. pin at the top. The pin fits in the holes already in the end of the awning. The other end of the pole has a loop for hanging and I use a tent stake to secure it in the ground.
The awning is intended as a sun shade only and not a rain shelter. With the poles attached it counld take a light shower but the fabric on mine tends to sag in rhe middle and collect water.
sukismith64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
Sorry for the bad picture of the storage spot in the rear. The attached pictures should make it a little clearer as to how it works.You just put the pin in the hole at the end of the awning and move the bottom toward front or back of van just enough to keep tension on the pin so it won't come out . Place the tent stake so that it keeps tension on the pins and your done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180801_163151.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	318653   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180801_163948.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	318654  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180801_164347.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	318655  
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I haven't used mine either due to issues presented here on the forum. You can ask for a semi shaded spot at some campgrounds, but then it might affect your solar. If I can plug in, I ask for shade.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
These newer automatic awnings don’t sound much like progress. My older 2013 Interstate has an electric awning without the auto retract feature. It has built in legs that either attach to the side of van or can be staked to the ground. I’d put this in the same category as the powered window shades. Automation that doesn’t work that well. ... and to think they want me to ride in a driverless car some day. No thanks! [emoji41]
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I haven't used mine either due to issues presented here on the forum. You can ask for a semi shaded spot at some campgrounds, but then it might affect your solar. If I can plug in, I ask for shade.
MANSDERM161 - living in Las Vegas, we are paranoid about strong winds coz it gets brutal here. At least 1 windy day per week of 20-35mph sustained. So I am not a big fan of deploying mine either, especially after all the readings here. I do deploy on really calm days only but never trust the Auto function to work, so always retract before sleeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
These newer automatic awnings don’t sound much like progress. My older 2013 Interstate has an electric awning without the auto retract feature. It has built in legs that either attach to the side of van or can be staked to the ground. I’d put this in the same category as the powered window shades. Automation that doesn’t work that well. ... and to think they want me to ride in a driverless car some day. No thanks! [emoji41]
MIKE - I kinda wish I had to option to attach legs on mine like yours. But then again, with my luck, I would attach legs to side of rv, then it Auto-retracts and bust the side of rv.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:02 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
Thumbs up

I've got the same year van. I've never had a problem with my awning, and the auto-retract has saved it multiple times. Nonetheless, I like this pole idea and will look around for some.

While on the awning subject, can anyone tell me
(1) Where the adjustment is that triggers auto-retract with a set level of force?
(2) Where the receiver is for the awning extend/retract switch?

Thanks!