Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
2008 27' International FB
Sonoma , California
Zip Dee Power Awning Nightmare

We went to open our awning, and as instructed, pressed close prior to anything. Pressed open, the awning seemed to start to open, then the fuse blew. Replaced fuse, examined awning, only to see that the Zip Dee had completely pulled three feet of track off the aft end, and pulled about a foot of track away at the front. Rivets are every inch, and probably 30-40 are completely pulled out. Photos below.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I will call Airstream Monday, but I don't see how this can be repaired without a major, major effort, maybe replacing the entire curbside panel.

ramblin rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Yikes!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
First trip out in our new Pendleton and have had awning nightmare. Didn't want to close. Side arms started going crazy. Finally got it closed but it pulled one end of the awning out of the track about a foot. Manually pulled the side stems down to get it to go in. It's rolled up so we're not using it the rest of the trip. What a waste of money! Wish I had my old manual one off my last airstream back!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
2008 27' International FB
Sonoma , California
Update

So I spoke with the dealer and sent in some photos. He said that "unfortunately, we've seen this more than a few times". In some instances, they've been able to re-rivet the track and reseal it, in others they have had to to replace the upper panels due to the size of the holes left by the rivets pulling out.

Not fun, and we will lose use of the trailer for at least August...
ramblin rose is offline   Reply With Quote