Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Roaming around a dark trailer

Well we came back from Branson a week ago and it was the first outing for our new pooch. Of course it was an outing for our older dog Charlie who is in the fall of his years.

Charlie is almost blind and deaf and was a rescue dog that we adopted 3 years ago. The shelter said he was 4, but we think he was closer to 8 or 9. Charlie has reached the point in his life were he sort of plods along eating his food, sleeping soundly, and sometimes not getting out in time (we need to get him out regularly since he doesn't tell us much anymore).

Well about the fourth night out I awoke about 4 am to use the toilet. Patty has lots of night lights about to help her find her way. As I stumbled out of bed into the center bath, I looked down at the floor in the bathroom. The dark shape on the floor looked a lot like one of Charlie's "presents" that he sometime leaves for us.

Well I grabbed a wad of toilet paper and proceeded to pick up the mass and drop it into the bowl. Upon picking it up I thought that Charlie had really outdone himself on this one since it seemed to be quite weighty. After dropping it in I flushed the toilet only to notice that it didn't fit through the flush opening. Well at that point in the dark, I wasn't going to fool around with the mass so I figured I'd add some water and that it would flush down later on in the morning.

6am came and I heard Charlie starting to stir. Not wanting to be surprised again I got he and Curtis out to do their morning chores. Coming back in, the trailer was still very dark inside and I decided to flush the toilet figuring the earlier deposit was ready to go down. No luck again as the mass covered by toilet paper didn't want to go down. Well I thought, I guess I'll just have to do the deed and give it a little push. Out comes more toilet paper, I open up the valve and give the mountain a push. Clunk it goes through and I hear it hit the bottom of the holding tank. Gee I thought, that's a heck of a load.

Morning comes and we get up eat and get prepared to go out. All is well until as I was walking out I noticed that Curtis' Kong chew toy was not around. Well the last thing we knew was that Charlie was walking around with this thing in his mouth just as we went to bed. Charlie seems to like it even though he is missing most of his teeth. It looks pretty funny as he walks around with one end hanging out of his mouth.

We continue to look and no Kong. At that point I'm wonder if one of them could have digested it. No way I thought, but I'm now puzzled. Then as if lightning went off I realized that the mass on the bathroom floor I picked up in the middle of the night was the infamous Kong. No wonder why it didn't go down the toilet. No wonder it was so heavy. No wonder it didn't smell???

So the next question was would it pass out the sewer line? Well I made sure before we dumped that the toilet was full. I thought it might stick in the valve or in the sewer connector or pipe. Well I opened the valve, heard a clunk (which was a new sound to me) and for all intents I think Kong is now lying somewhere within the Compton Ridge septic system.

Thankfully it was the toy dog size but to say the least I'm a little embarrassed but I'm glad it passed through the system....Needless to say I need a little more light in that bathroom.

All hail the infamous Kong!

Jack
Attached Images

AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Oh Jack...we've all been there in some way shape or form!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Good One
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the laugh!!!

Your story cracks me up!!! I cannot beleive it made it out without getting stuck!!

Thanks for the laughs. That one deserves karma.

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You are a brave man to just go around picking up things in the dark.
Given the possibilities with Charlie onboard I would consider a night light.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
You are a brave man to just go around picking up things in the dark.
Given the possibilities with Charlie onboard I would consider a night light.
Well it's either pick it up or step on it. I've done the step on it... Next time we will add a little light to the equation!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
ok, either get the light or a bigger kong. thanks for the laugh. i thought you were going to say that it ran away!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Jack, better to have such a great story than a sprained ankle from stepping on it. Kongs can be pretty good sized and would jam permanently if turned sideways. Ahh -- the luck of the Canavera-Irish!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We loved that story- what with traveling with two dogs all the time. Once one got sick and I wasn't so lucky walking to the bathroom in the middle ofthe night....
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I was anticipating a dead rat or worse. . .a Kong sounds lots less squeamish! Great story ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet I Literally Laughed Out Loud!

Hi Jack,

That cracked me up. Karma sent. Perhaps night vision equipment? Lighting just seems too simple.

Enjoyed meeting you guys in Branson.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #12
_

. , .
this story is a mound of rubber.

i still say too bad it didn't stay in the tank, like a pellet in a paint can to stir things up!

on a related note,

another camper's hose would not drain, after the blank tank value was pulled...

the park sent 2 guys to investigate,

and they eventually found a big ol' rock blocking the park line about a foot or so 'downstream'..

pictures were taken of this too, but is he gonna post 'em?

and perhaps the kong will return for the next compton rally...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Talking That's hillarious!

Oh, the infamous red rubber Kong, my Lulu's favorite toy, a totally unflushable large dog size thank goodness.

Karma to you. Maybe you should consider knotting a rope through it like I do for Lu. It would avoid confusion in the dark. Glad to hear everything came out alright in the end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lulu Finding Kong.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	47864
Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I held a stag for a co-worker two days before his wedding when we learned his best man had backed out of the stag and wedding party. We did not know that he liked to drink quite a bit but was not good at holding his liquor and he got pretty inebriated quickly and got very ill in the bathroom. His brother went in and cleaned him up and brought him out and put him in their car. One of the others cleaned things up in the room and flushed the toilet. His brother came in and was horrified to learn the toilet had been flushed as he had not yet obtained the false teeth . Who knew a 20 year old had false teeth? I know, we were aghast as well. In 1970 it was not that easy to get new false teeth made in a week in a small town, so they made a set out of plaster for him to wear for his wedding pictures.

No dog, no multiple attempts on our part to flush, but a set of wedding pictures with the groom with the most brilliant white, and large, teeth one has ever seen and a very blushing bride.

Barry
Old 10-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Drain Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
this story is a mound of rubber.

i still say too bad it didn't stay in the tank, like a pellet in a paint can to stir things up!

on a related note,

another camper's hose would not drain, after the blank tank value was pulled...

the park sent 2 guys to investigate,

and they eventually found a big ol' rock blocking the park line about a foot or so 'downstream'..

pictures were taken of this too, but is he gonna post 'em?

and perhaps the kong will return for the next compton rally...

cheers
2air'
Way worse than a kidney stone, and that’s bad enough.

Is this Branson, 2air? If so, I watched from afar, but couldn’t bring myself to investigate or photograph more closely.

Inquiring minds really don’t want to know.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #16
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Jack,
In thinking about our Branson conversation, I think some in the St. Louis unit are just jealous of your sense of humor. Great story.