Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2006, 08:47 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
How fun, thanks for the info. If only we'd know that sooner, we might have named them Bullseye and Makeral, which would be great names for cats too!

Some of the best cats I've had, personality wise, were boys, but all of them marked in the house at one time or another, thus leading to my preference for girl-cats

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Oh, those are the cutest little orange fluffy cats I have seen! Congrats!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Unfortunately I'm allergic. I finally had to give up cat ownership when the last of mine died. I'm able to tolerate them, but not full time. We've still always kept a cat at work - as our psychological counselor and visitor greeter. Our first cats were a family of feral cats, Mom a short haired calico, and her long haired kittens Bart, Lisa and Homer. They never became totally tame, but Mom stayed with us and visited daily for food for several years. She was hit by a car and is buried behind our office.

Miss Kitty, a tuxedo cat, was next. She walked in as a semi-starved half grown kitten and simply took over. She stayed with us for 9 years when she disappeared... she too was an outdoor cat, and would greet everyone in our complex, so we hope that she went home with someone who didn't realize she had a family, but there's also a far more realistic view that she was hit by a car on the busy roads around here. We are now hosts to Jasmine - a calico whose nickname is "spazzy cat" and who is just plain nuts!

Your two orange tabbies have patterns called "bullseye" and "mackeral". The bullseye tabby pattern has the large circle, the mackeral tabby has very fine stripes, additionally there is a "rosetted" or spotted cat (Egyptian Maus & Bengals are examples) that is a variation on the tabby. All are thought to be genetic variations an undifferentiated multi-color called "agouti" that is typified by hair that has 5 colors along a single shaft. Abbysinians have an agouti coat.

So now you have way TMI about your adorable kittens. Enjoy them and keep them in for many many years. BTW, females tend to grow up to be less social than males, but there are exceptions and close contact as kittens will make for a more people oriented cat.

Paula Ford
Our four cats are all former ferals. We trapped them and brought them into our home (after being spayed/neutered and getting their checkups plus shots).

Misty, who is our youngest is becoming a pet now. We've had her since 2001, so about five years to for her to turn around. Ok by me if she never did, she would still have our love and protection as when we bring a cat in it's forever no matter what.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
With the two new rescue kittens I now have 6 cats in my home. All are rescued creatures. I have to keep my bedroom door closed at night with only the two rescue Pomeranians on the bed. Otherwise I would get NO SLEEP. They say pets keep you healthier, I should live to be, what 106??????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	26083  
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
i've averaged 5 cats + dog over my adult life. almost all of them have been adult rescues, dejected old things resigned to living in a shelter cage the rest of their lives otherwise. so i'm always scraping a fat old sleepy cat off the keyboard. lately i've been wondering whether i've "paid my dues" and can treat myself to a kitten but ... that would, of course, deprive some poor old thing out of a happy home.

OK, no kittens, but it's stef's thread & she pointed me to this site long ago and you HAVE to look at the posting of a japanese florist making pups outta chrysanthemums. and, with the wacky way the chick talks, there's even a tie-in to the "talk like a pirate day" thread!

www.cuteoverload.com
Old 10-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
The kittens are in that incredibly destructive stage where they seem to find new ways to amaze us every day. Today Dave emailed me at work to tell me he came in from working out on the shop and the tub in the master bathroom was on the verge of flooding. The kittens have been playing in it, so they had closed the drain, then one of them hit the faucet and turned it on full, then of course they took off, leaving the tub to fill up until Dave barely caught it!

I really hadn't thought about the cats flooding the house!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cutecats.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	27394  

Old 10-23-2006, 04:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
A-d-o-r-a-b-l-e !

Who could ever get mad at those two precious fuzzy faces?!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:48 PM   #28
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Oh I sure hope that you frame that sink photo!

That photo is so darling! You know it would be cute to send on a card too. How fun. For some reason non cat owners think cats are so quiet and boring, bwahaha we cat-loving folks know better....
Old 10-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Terrific photos...

Thanks for sharing! We have 3 cats (sort of an accident...went to get one and came back with 2 to join the Maine Coon. I have reached "Cat saturation". Sooo tired of 4 litter boxes (I was always told to have one for each cat + one more.) I use Litter Pine, so there is no odor at all, just the hassle of keeping them clean. When we travel we have to have pet sitters and that adds up. Recently I was contemplating finding homes for 2 of them, but I honestly couldn't part with any one of them. They are part of our family and we'll just have to manage. Sure wish they could Airstream, but it is harder to teach old cats new tricks than it is dogs!

Enjoy those babies. Smart to get them young and teach them to travel!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #30

1968 17' Caravel
Well, a couple days ago they ripped down the curtains on one window by leaping up and sticking to them (anyone remember David Letterman's Velcro stunt?), so I decided they can't go in the trailer until they calm down a little!

Old 10-23-2006, 09:20 PM   #31
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
Gee, our two cats were really looking forward to meeting them at the Beverly Beach Bash this weekend! Oh well. See you when you get here.

jim
WBCCI #4362
Member, Oregon Unit 090
Affiliate Member, Washington Unit 112
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:23 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Dogs are so tolerant of kittens. Good boy Chester!
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:37 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Hey Stef., cut their nails and they have a hard time clinging to the curtains. If you get them use to having their nails cut at a young age, it's easy the rest of their lives. When mine start trying to cling to me and sliding down my legs, I get out the nail cutters. I got tired of going to work looking as if I worked in a wild animal park or the roller derby.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:41 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
New pictures. Is this typical Siamese or what?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	27536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	27537  

Old 10-27-2006, 07:23 AM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Your siamese is so cute!

So tell me, fellow kitten owners, do your kittens suckle on things? Mine drive me nuts suckling on the blanket when they go to bed. They get this weird sleepy look, start kneading with the paws, and sucking on the blanket, and their eyes roll back and they're in this weird state like their hypnotized. They wake me up doing this in the middle of the night, and the sucking sound is LOUD. Very annoying. Please tell me this is normal kitten behavior and they grow out of this!

Old 10-27-2006, 02:13 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Lily never does that, but our previous cat did. Drove me nutz too!

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 10-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Were they taken from their mother before she naturally weaned them? This may be a response to a too-early withdrawal from nursing. ???? I don't know and I wouldn't know a cure for it except, hopefully, time and growing up! Good luck~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Or it could be they are vampire kittens.
Don't go to sleep at night with them in the house! LOL
Halloween is just around the corner maybe they are just practicing.
nymphfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Were they taken from their mother before she naturally weaned them? This may be a response to a too-early withdrawal from nursing. ????
I always thought that was the problem with our first kitty, we saved her from the pound at 6 weeks but she never was as well-adjusted as Lily who stayed with mom & sibs until 12 weeks.

Shari

Old 10-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #40
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auretrvr
Thanks for sharing! We have 3 cats (sort of an accident...went to get one and came back with 2 to join the Maine Coon. I have reached "Cat saturation". Sooo tired of 4 litter boxes (I was always told to have one for each cat + one more.) I use Litter Pine, so there is no odor at all, just the hassle of keeping them clean. When we travel we have to have pet sitters and that adds up. Recently I was contemplating finding homes for 2 of them, but I honestly couldn't part with any one of them. They are part of our family and we'll just have to manage. Sure wish they could Airstream, but it is harder to teach old cats new tricks than it is dogs!

Enjoy those babies. Smart to get them young and teach them to travel!
Auretrvr,
We had 3 cats growing up and they all used the same litter box. But they were indoor/outdoor cats so maybe they didn't all use the box...but it sure looked like it on rainy days I had two cats here for a while and they shared the litter box and water dish but not the food bowls.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote