Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #1

2014 25' International
corte madera , California
What kind of towing assembly is best?

I'm curious to know what most Airstream users prefer to to use for towing.
I have an E2 Equalizer with round bars between the Airstream hitch and the vehicle. I know it's supposed to spread the weight distribution.
My Airstream dealer recommends them.
It sure seems like an extra layer of complication though and I have seen some articles online that question it's value.
My Airstream is 25 ft long.

What do the experienced Airstreamers favor?

thanks
Phil
philian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Phil most dealers like what they sell. I like ProPride and the dealer did the install. ProPride only sells direct. I bought the ProPride based on all of the comments and information here on the forum. Do a search for ProPride in the forum section on hitches. There is a complete ProPride section.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by philian View Post
I'm curious to know what most Airstream users prefer to to use for towing.
I have an E2 Equalizer with round bars between the Airstream hitch and the vehicle. I know it's supposed to spread the weight distribution.
My Airstream dealer recommends them.
It sure seems like an extra layer of complication though and I have seen some articles online that question it's value.
My Airstream is 25 ft long.

What do the experienced Airstreamers favor?

thanks
Phil
Welcome. And you've asked an impossible question :-)

There are (too) many threads in the forum addressing this type of question. It's a little like asking - what's the best ice cream? I go back and forth with pistachio and frozen pudding. Some actually prefer vanilla. We're all happy with our choice (usually).

There are lots of choices based on your objectives. You mentioned the EQ seems to have an extra layer of complication. For ease of setup, maybe Andersen is right or you. I don't recall seeing what your tow vehicle is, but if it only requires 50% of the front axle weight to be restored, the Andersen could be for you.

The ProPride mentioned earlier is more complicated and more expensive (about $2K to Andersen's $500). Once set up and practiced, hitching is easy. This hitch and it's predecessor the Hensley Arrow are unique in that they project the pivot point forward and literally prevent away from happening (other hitches react to it).

That's just 2 of many examples.

What's of interest to you in terms of:
Weight distribution
Cost
Sway prevention vs sway reaction
Ease of installation
Ease of hookup

That can help in which one is best for you. :-)
Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
And I love my Andersen hitch (ducks), simple and works very well for me.

You will find someone who loves each and every hitch made and will argue tooth and nail for it as the best one ever. The fact is that each one has different positive and negative aspects and no one hitch will satisfy everyone, depending on their needs and tolerance for the negative aspects they all have.

I towed for many years with a Reese, which I still have and always worked well for me. Then an EZ lift and still own that one too. Both did the job.

The simple answer to your original question is that there is no simple answer.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
"What kind of towing assembly is best?"

The one that is properly installed and set up. Everything else is up for debate.

Lots to choose from. Recommend you use weight distribution with that size trailer.

From an engineering design perspective, the hitches that project the pivot point (Hensley, Propride) forward to a point near the rear axle have an advantage. They also cost more.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Boy oh boy, I bet that each hitch type is represented on this forum. But I WILL say that the two, in my opinion, when I was digging on this forum, talked about setups were Hensley Arrow and Pro Pride. Of course they are the pricey ones. The Hensley is a time honored hitch (the arrow I believe) search on here for it and you will uncover loads of info. The second one, a newer design from the same guy is the pro pride. Sean, the marketer of ProPride is on this forum and works one on one with you if need be. Search and you will find!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Everyone loves what they have, until they get something different.

We had Equal-I-Zer, Andersen, and now ProPride. I loved the first two until I used them for awhile. After extended use of the ProPride in all towing conditions, it's the best money we spent on our Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote