Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Cool Trailer Dolly?

Hi all,
I really don't know what category this would go under but I think I need a power or motorized trailer dolly and although I have researched on my own I don't seem to find what I need.
I have a 30' that I need to get backed into a very tight space with not much room move around it. It will be a 90 degree turn from the road into a RV port with support columns on either side. The current owner of the house has a Class A MH in the space so I know it is wide enough and long enough for my Airstream but all he has to do is back into it without having to worry and a bend in the middle.
My backing up skills are that wonderful yet and I would hate to tear out the support columns on the garage on my first day so I was thinking maybe a trailer dolly would be wise. I also have a Hensley hitch which seems to complicate the problem a lot.
I really need help with this. Has anyone used a trailer dolly with a weight distribution hitch? Which one should I look at? Which one is the easiest to use? I am doing this on my own so it would be nice if I didn't have to use a lot of strength.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There's been a lot of dolly posts, but I understand the search function can be frustrating.
First, what is the surface? Concrete, asphalt, gravel, or grass?
Flat or sloping?

Electric dollys are powerful and expensive. Those that claim to run from a cordless drill aren't powerful enough.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:10 AM   #3
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hi MollysDad,
The surface is concrete and flat. I figured the less expensive one aren't worth the money so I have ruled those out quickly. I also ruled out the ones that are too lightweight for my trailer which is a 2017 Classic 30 with a hitch weight of roughly 1200. I did some looking and I anticipate to spend around a grand. I just don't want to waist money on getting the wrong one.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Bern - Thun , Berner Oberland
My Cruiser has an ALKO maneuvering system, with a joystick parked. The Airstream weighs 3 tons ...
Cruiser6483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Parkit 360 has several models and is one of the dollies discussed on this forum. Mine is a homemade version similar to the light duty one with the wider tires and is moves my 25' on gravel and pavers with ease.

link

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ly-120502.html
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser6483 View Post
My Cruiser has an ALKO maneuvering system, with a joystick parked. The Airstream weighs 3 tons ...
... but what is the tongue weight?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
My tongue weight is around 1200, give or take a little bit. I really am going to need a dolly, just have no idea which one is the best.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Thanks for the replies. I will be doing some homework on this but really appreciate any input.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Santa Rosa , California
If you haven't yet made a purchase, look up "KAAD ENGINEERING" (yes, kaad with two a's). The guy will design a trailer dolly tailored to your needs, he doesn't just stock a "one size fits all" unit. I spoke with him for about 30-45 minutes on the phone. We covered everything including trailer weight, tongue weight, driveway slope, length and composition ...he even used Google Earth street view while on the phone with me to get a better grasp of my situation. I have a 25 foot AS that needed to go up a 10-degree slope, he ended up fabricating a 5-wheel dolly with two motors, (one controls 3 wheels, the other controls the other two, all in-line). It also has a 7-pin connector which can activate the trailer brakes in case an emergency stop is needed. Each motor operates in either forward or reverse, and they can go opposite directions at the same time, allowing the dolly to pivot "on a dime". I have a couple of pics, but I don't have a 3rd party hosting app at this time. I couldn't be happier with the ease of use. I have literally one inch of space on each side of the AS in the tightest area. I can negotiate the trailer with confidence. Because he builds each to individual needs, I won't quote you the price I paid, it's unlikely to be the same for your application. Oh, and they're available with battery or plug-in power. I wish you the best in your search.

-Sean-
SeanWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #10
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Wow, Sean, thanks for the tip. I have not been able to find a dolly that I thought I could use for my Classic so this is very helpful.
I did go and talk to the guys at the local RV shop, who by the way are awesome, and told them about my problem and concern about getting into my parking spot and they offered to come and move it for me and then offered to teach me how to back up with confidence. They move really big RVs in and out of their garage all the time. The service manager said he would teach me to back up anywhere and would make sure I was completely confident before the lessons ended. Much cheaper than a dolly and it is a skill set I can take with me anywhere. I thought it was incredibly nice of them, the guys down at the shop know I am new and I have gone in several times just to ask a question and they never make me feel like an idiot.
But if I still freak out about backing into such a tight place it is nice to know that I could have one made to meet my needs.
Again, thank you for taking the time to reply and for sharing your information.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Santa Rosa , California
If it's possible to get it parked without a dolly, I wholly agree with your decision to learn the skills of backing, which, as you say, will serve you wherever you roam. If you live close enough to the dealership to have them (or another skilled backer) back it in for you the first time, that would be great! Just knowing it's possible will, in my opinion, give you some confidence because you'll KNOW it's possible. Another person or two "watching" both sides of your trailer as you slowly back is nice too. I have found that my neighbors are eager to help.

-Sean-
SeanWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #12
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Sean, I agree having an extra set of eyes would be helpful however that isn't always possible. My husband passed away recently and I am on my own now, it's been tough sometimes but I am learning. I also learned very quickly that "help" depends on if they HELPER has actually ever back up a 31' trailer with a 20' truck. Glad I got out and looked myself on more than one occasion.
I am hoping that I will learn to backup better, I can do. I have done it it but the language I use would made a sailer blush. It ain't pretty and this particular spot seems really tight to me. The guys at the RV shop swear it is very doable but they also understand that I don't want to take out a support beam or dent my new Airstream. I will start Next Saturday with my first lesson and we'll see how it goes. If I simply can't do it then I will buy a dolly, I user friendly dolly that I don't have to manhandle or kill my self trying to use it.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Sean, I agree having an extra set of eyes would be helpful however that isn't always possible. My husband passed away recently and I am on my own now, it's been tough sometimes but I am learning. I also learned very quickly that "help" depends on if they HELPER has actually ever back up a 31' trailer with a 20' truck. Glad I got out and looked myself on more than one occasion.
I am hoping that I will learn to backup better, I can do. I have done it it but the language I use would made a sailer blush. It ain't pretty and this particular spot seems really tight to me. The guys at the RV shop swear it is very doable but they also understand that I don't want to take out a support beam or dent my new Airstream. I will start Next Saturday with my first lesson and we'll see how it goes. If I simply can't do it then I will buy a dolly, I user friendly dolly that I don't have to manhandle or kill my self trying to use it.

Hi - I'm very sorry for your loss. I am thrilled that you're pursuing this and especially the driving practice. My wife and I bought our very first trailer 5 years ago - never had one before - and weekend one we went to an RV safe driver class. 80% of those 2 days was spent backing up. One of the exercises was to parallel park it! My wife nailed it first try. I, uhm, eventually made it....

No one is born knowing how to drive a trailer - backward or forward. It takes practice. You'll get it. And if the space needs a dolly, that's going to be easy enough too. But very god you're getting some lessons and can try this.

Wishing you happier days and the best of luck.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote