Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
Trailer Disconnect with 2015 Ford F150

I keeping getting a "Trailer Disconnect" message on the driver information display. The Ford dealer replaced the brake controller but I keep getting the same message. The connector cable on my 2013 20 ft. Airstream seems to be in excellent shape. I have cleaned the the connectors on both the truck and trailer with an electric spray cleaner. I don't see any bare wire going into the trailer brakes which could cause a possible short.

Thanks in advance for anyone that has an idea on how to solve the problems.

Bill Dunlap
Bishop, CA
billdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If this condition can be seen while parked, and not having driven at all, I would try hooking up to another trailer. If that trailer also shows a "Disconnect Condition" the problem is in the Ford. The likely hood that you could find 2 bad trailers is unlikely.

The next thing I would check is to open up the connector on the Ford rear and look for a loose wire. Then the trailer connector. If you are not comfortable working with this type of equipment have it done. The wires are very close theatergoer on the terminals in the connectors and you don't want to cause more problems than you already have. If someone opens those connectors I would have then soldier every connection to prevent future problems.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
Howie,

Thanks for the info. The problems only shows when driving - it occurs about every 1-3 minutes with the "Trailer Disconnect" coming up on the driver info screen. If I push the "ok" button, it will disappear and then comes back. A Ford mechanic in Reno, hooked up my trailer to his 2014 Ford F150 with the same driver info screen and drove the trailer around without having the message appear on his screen. This makes me believe the problem is in the truck, not the trailer. The mechanic also took the connector out of the back bumper on the Ford and inspected it and then checked it with a multimeter - he found no problems. You are right about the wires being very close. It seems unlikely that the plug would be bad but it did occur the very first time I hooked up the trailer. I am still not ruling out a bad ground on the brake magnets but I think it may be one of the modules that sends info to the driver display screen in the truck.

I would great appreciate any other input. Thanks

Bill Dunlap
Bishop, CA
Old 06-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Springdale , Arkansas
We experienced the same message with our 2011 F150 and 2014 Airstream last year. It was about 1000 miles into our first trip when we first saw the trailer disconnected message. Over the next 1000 miles the notice became increasingly frequent.

Our issue was related to a brake line that was pinched on the trailer. The assumption was when the trailer was built the line was not clear and one bump or another was enough to pinch the line.

Tom
schkube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The mechanics test leads to the truck.

You can connect a brake magnet from the red wire to ground right behind the brake controller. Test with a meter to ground that the red wire is in fact the brake applied wire. Use the manual switch to test.

While the brake magnet is hooded up go for a drive, no trailer. If the Disconnect message comes on I think it is the sensing circuit in the controller.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I too have had this happen on my 2015 as well as another Airstream owner I know with a 2015. He has taken his into Ford to look at and I am not sure if they found anything or not. I have pulled both my 25FC and my 28FC and received the message on both so I tend to think it is in the Ford coupler. I did just return from a 2 week trip and made very certain I plugged the Airstream cord in fully, wiggling it while pressing in to ensure a good connection. Had no message on that trip. Good luck. I just pulled a Polaris trailer for about 600 miles the last two days and had no message on the 4 pin connector, so definitely something with the 7 pin.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
Howie,

"Trailer Disconnect" message on Ford F150

Thanks for the advice. The truck is at the Ford dealership now. The wires from the brake controller in the 2015 Ford F150 truck are hard to access since the controller is built into the dashboard. If they are not able to repair it, I was thinking of pulling the wheels off the Airstream and checking to see if the ground wires from the brake magnets have a good contact point. I am not sure how or where Airstream (Dexter) ground the magnets.

I really appreciate yours and others who have made suggestions.

Bill Dunlap
Old 06-26-2015, 10:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Trailer Disconnect with 2015 Ford F150

The cover for the receptacle is spring loaded an designed to hold the plug in place.I have had instances when the plug was not completely in and not locked in place with the door.Then I would get the disconnected warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I had an intermittent problem with a "disconnected"message, or something like that (it's been a few years) appearing on my controller that drove me crazy. I rewired, replaced, and reinstalled everything over a couple of years. When I pulled the brakes to repack bearings, I found one of the wires to the magnets had rubbed through the insulation on the drum. It would short periodically. Fixing that resolved my problem.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Get a trailer emulator from Amazon $20. Stick it in and drive around. If it still happens you know it's the truck!
Old 06-27-2015, 03:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Amazon.com: Tekonsha 6562 7-Way Blade Tester and Trailer Emulator with LED Display: Automotive
Old 06-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Bee Cave , Texas
Sounds common. For me, it was the connection to the trailer. I took some sandpaper and cleaned the female connectors. The problem went away. The fact that it's intermittent says to me that the connection is either loose, or dirty.
BluesClues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Bill, I had that on my 2014 F350. I plugged/unplugged the trailer harness in The truck a couple of times, and I've not had it since. I also had both curbside magnets breakaway from the backing plate, one of which was at the time of the error message, so it could have been either a combination, or a just one of the conditions.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdunlap View Post
Howie,

"Trailer Disconnect" message on Ford F150

Thanks for the advice. The truck is at the Ford dealership now. The wires from the brake controller in the 2015 Ford F150 truck are hard to access since the controller is built into the dashboard. If they are not able to repair it, I was thinking of pulling the wheels off the Airstream and checking to see if the ground wires from the brake magnets have a good contact point. I am not sure how or where Airstream (Dexter) ground the magnets.

I really appreciate yours and others who have made suggestions.

Bill Dunlap
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Not to step on any of the great comments and suggestions made so far, I really do think this is something on the 2015 F150 specifically in this case, which is what was asked about initially. Since I have experienced this with mine, and I know others as well that have plus now Bill who originally posted this, it does seem that it is the truck. As mentioned in my prior post, I have pulled two Airstreams with my 2011 F150 and both with my 2015 F150 and just got the message with the 2015. For those which do not know, it has a pretty thorough trailer information screen and I am not sure if it has something to do with it or not.

Someone posted to make sure the cover was snapped to make sure the connector stayed in and in all of my cases it was still snapped in when I stopped and checked the connection after getting message. I will take it to dealer and see if I can convince them to change the connector. By now Ford may have issued a tech bulletin. I'll run some searches on F150 forum and see if others are experiencing.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Sandy , Oregon
Trailer Disconnet Message

I have had the same problem with a 2008 F250 and now have a 2014 F350. I spray both ends of the connectors with electrical contact spray, then I plug and unplug several times, as well as move it around the best I can. That has stopped my problem... I am now replacing the truck plug assembly because the car wash brushes tore the cover off ($84 for assembly).
Going to place a zip tie over new plug when not pulling trailer, as the truck gets washed every couple of weeks. Will see once I replace the plug assembly, if the problem continues. Stand by.
Thanks, Carlos
carlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
What does the Ford manual define Trailor Disconnect as? Or call the Ford Customer Care line, they will get to the bottom of it.
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #17
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Good question. The replies have focused on brakes, but we have numerous circuits relating to the trailer connection. Brakes, running lights, turn signals, brake lights, charging circuit, ground.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #18
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Which leads me to another idea.

Most modern trucks have a relay that energizes the charging circuit to the trailer. +12V will only flow to the trailer battery when the engine is running. That prevents the trailer's house loads from depleting the truck's starting battery. Just wondering if an intermittent relay could be causing the truck's monitoring software to throw a warning. In a canbus system, that fault should throw a code. Has the dealer looked for a code?
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Just for your "Book of Useless Information":
Many larger Commercial aircraft have a similar message centre called "E.I.C.A.S." (Engine Indicating, Crew Alerting System.)
They have their issues too, but are general reliable.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
Problem solved - Maybe???

I did a lot of internet searching and someone suggested checking the ground wires from the electric brakes. One of my ground connections appeared to be questionable so I put in a new ground using solder rather than a crimp connection on the magnet ground line. Airstream ran the line into the belly so I spliced it and put a bolt thru a small hole in a frame member - I sanded off the frame paint to bare metal and attached the ground line (white wire). I did a short test run and did not get the "Trailer Disconnect" message.

It seems like Ford needs offer a little more flexibility in their trailer settings. My message with the warning chime drove me crazy. At least Ford could offer an option of turning off the chime warning until a repair is made. When the "Trailer Disconnect" message was on my driver dash info display, the trailer brakes still worked when I used the manual control on the brake controller. I am not sure if this will solve the problem but if anyone is getting the "Trailer Disconnect" you might want to check all your wire connections. After time the crimp may come lose and cause a warning message when the trailer bounces or hits a bump.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I will still greatly appreciate any other ideas or suggestions.

Thanks
Bill Dunlap
Bishop, CA