Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
2011 25' FB International
stoughton , Massachusetts
Tow Hitch on a '69 23' Safari

Hi,I just picked up my 69 Safari (~4,000lb) and am getting ready to prioritize and do some repairs. As I am getting ready for that I have a few questions related to towing. First, I am using a VW Touareg as my TV. It has a rated 7700lb tow capacity.Should I add a weight distribution hitch to my setup? I towed it back from point of sale without issue, but as I go forward want to make sure I do so as safely as possible. Next, in thinking about future camping trips, I'd like to bring bikes and my generator. I was thinking it'd be nice to use my cargo carrier or bike carrier that I have that attach to my TV hitch. I have read several threads related to adding hitches to the rear of an AS and most were against. However, I am not looking to attach a heavy or long trailer, simply a bicycle rack or a small cargo carrier to hold the generator.I am getting some frame repairs done so figured if I was going to add one this would be the time. Do folks think adding a hitch for this limited use is adviseable? Thanks for your advise.
vinceb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, you should have a WD hitch system. No question in my mind about that.

No, you should probably not put any weight on the rear of your Airstream. The frames are simply too light, and any weight, however small is magnified back there with the longest lever arm. Rear end separation, a long term Airstream issue will also be more of an problem with weight at the bumper end of the trailer.

I had a '63 Bambi which some previous owner welded a box on the back bumper for storage, and also had a bike carrier there. The frame was bent as a result.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
2011 25' FB International
stoughton , Massachusetts
Thanks for the quick response.

Any suggestions as to a weight distribution system? (affordable and adequate for my 23' Safari)

Bummer about the tow hitch. I thought I might have the option given the rear bath location.

Do others have suggestions on how they bring their gen or things like bikes when my TV doesn't have an open bed? Already planning on using the roof of the TV for the canoe.

Has anyone tried bringing bikes inside the AS? If so how have you secured them?

Just looking for ideas.

Thanks again,
- Vince
vinceb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Yes to the WDH.

No to anything heavy on the back of the Airstream.

We put the bikes inside the Airstream. Not ideal but it does keep them safe from thieves, the weather, and external damage. Bungie cords connected to the side curtain supports work fine.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceb29 View Post
Thanks for the quick response.

Any suggestions as to a weight distribution system? (affordable and adequate for my 23' Safari)

Bummer about the tow hitch. I thought I might have the option given the rear bath location.

Do others have suggestions on how they bring their gen or things like bikes when my TV doesn't have an open bed? Already planning on using the roof of the TV for the canoe.

Has anyone tried bringing bikes inside the AS? If so how have you secured them?

Just looking for ideas.

Thanks again,
- Vince
I would like to recommend the Andersen WD hitch, but since they now say that it is not compatible with the Atwood 880xxx series couplers which are very very common on Airstreams I cannot any longer suggest you consider that (check out the Andersen hitch thread, which now is way too long) If you have a marvel coupler on your trailer or are willing to change couplers, it still is a great WD hitch in my mind.

I don't cary a bike with me, so no opinion on that, but I do bring my Honda 1000 watt generator and simply put it in the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. With the gas valve shut off and the tank vent switched to off, I have experienced no issues with it being inside the rig.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Roof rack for your Taureg?

Wouldn't hang anything off the back of the trailer. Will your genset fit behind the propane bottles?

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote