Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2022, 10:25 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
ProPride & Hensley v.s. S.O.B.

With all of the NUMEROUS conversations about tow vehicles, Payload, Pressure monitors, brake controllers, etc., it surprises me how many people respond with "good enough" or "fine" when it comes to hitches.

It's hard to understand the difference until you have experienced a Hensley or ProPride. Both of these brands are going to do two things.
1. It will make your driving experience more enjoyable and less fatigued.
I'm not saying I was a sweaty mess after driving 300 miles using my BO or EQ. I'm saying you need to be slightly on your game when passing that semi or when that semi passes you. It's that sensation of getting sucked in to which you need to add slight correction. Along with the unpredicted gusts of wind, etc., this contributes to that fatigue

2. The Hensley or ProPride might save your life one day with sway elimination. All other hitches have their breaking point. They prevent sway until the sway is more than your hitch can control, and that would become a horrible day. The Hensley and ProPride don't have sway. It's a mechanical impossibility.
Let's talk about the con's:
• The stinger is heavy: It's lighter than pulling the BO hitch out of the receiver. You leave the heaviest part of the H or PP attached to the trailer.
• Ground clearance: Out of 50 trips, I slightly touched once coming out of a gas station.
• Hitching up: Yes, I have had a few times where it added 5 or 10 minutes to my prep time. I'm thankful I didn't throw in the towel the first time I experienced this. Fifty hookups, and most have gone well. It's worth it for the excellent towing experience.
Cost: I feel the hitch is one of the top safety devices when towing. The Hensley and ProPride are not that expensive compared. You're going to spend an average of $650 for any WD hitch. The H or PP goes for $3,100ish; that's a difference of $2,450.
That's a no-brainer for the additional safety. I see guy's swapping out wheels and tires for that amount.
The safety benefits are mechanically proven, would you buy a tire monitor or brake controller for half the cost if it works pretty well, 99% of the time?
Old 05-13-2022, 10:33 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Why is the need to tell others what to do so strong on here?

I like Reese products. Have always had good luck. Am comfortable using them and feel safe doing so.

There’s a whole market full of different products for different folks. I don’t get it.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:09 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post

I like Reese products. Have always had good luck. Am comfortable using them and feel safe doing so.

There’s a whole market full of different products for different folks. I don’t get it.
There's a difference between sharing your informed opinion and "telling people what to do."

Seems like it would have been easier to not click on this post or reply to it than it was to take it personally.

As for the OP, I've been thinking about going with ProPride or Hensley, but it just feels like one more thing to spend too much on. I have an EQ that's aging and I've been wondering if the towing experience is that much better/different. In any case, thanks for sharing your experience.
coltnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
With all of the NUMEROUS conversations about tow vehicles, Payload, Pressure monitors, brake controllers, etc., it surprises me how many people respond with "good enough" or "fine" when it comes to hitches.

It's hard to understand the difference until you have experienced a Hensley or ProPride. Both of these brands are going to do two things.
I'm not saying I was a sweaty mess after driving 300 miles using my BO or EQ. I'm saying you need to be slightly on your game when passing that semi or when that semi passes you. It's that sensation of getting sucked in to which you need to add slight correction. Along with the unpredicted gusts of wind, etc., this contributes to that fatigue

2. The Hensley or ProPride might save your life one day with sway elimination. All other hitches have their breaking point. They prevent sway until the sway is more than your hitch can control, and that would become a horrible day. The Hensley and ProPride don't have sway. It's a mechanical impossibility.
• The stinger is heavy: It's lighter than pulling the BO hitch out of the receiver. You leave the heaviest part of the H or PP attached to the trailer.
• Ground clearance: Out of 50 trips, I slightly touched once coming out of a gas station.
• Hitching up: Yes, I have had a few times where it added 5 or 10 minutes to my prep time. I'm thankful I didn't throw in the towel the first time I experienced this. Fifty hookups, and most have gone well. It's worth it for the excellent towing experience.
Cost: I feel the hitch is one of the top safety devices when towing. The Hensley and ProPride are not that expensive compared. You're going to spend an average of $650 for any WD hitch. The H or PP goes for $3,100ish; that's a difference of $2,450.
That's a no-brainer for the additional safety. I see guy's swapping out wheels and tires for that amount.
The safety benefits are mechanically proven, would you buy a tire monitor or brake controller for half the cost if it works pretty well, 99% of the time?
Safety is definitely a priority. I assume you are not pulling that FC 30 with an F150.....:
Old 05-13-2022, 12:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post

I in no way wanted to come off as strong. Many of these posts end up in an opinion-driven debate where most are opinions only, with no experience. I have experience with three different popular brands. This strength you are feeling is the excitement I have when I find something I believe in, and want to share with others on the forum who show interest regarding this subject.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I pull my rig with a Hensley now. Prior to that I used a Husky CentreLine. Both work well, and I really don't notice much difference in sway with either one. The Hensley was given to me and I had to upgrade it some, prior to using. There is a large difference in cost between the two hitches. I have pulled Airstreams for over 25 years, and SOB's before that. I cannot jump up and down and say that a Hensley or ProPride is that much better. My first hitch was a simple WD hitch which provided little to eliminate sway. I think that most of the hitches out there today, other than the very basic models, do a very good job of WD and sway control. If it makes an owner feel more comfortable owning a specific hitch, I guess that can be considered "peace of mind" and makes them feel more secure. I have never had a "white knuckle" event that I can contribute to the type of hitch or lack of. If you want a certain item, can afford it, and makes you more conficent, GO FOR IT!! JMHO
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Once I got my SOB hitch set up correctly (but not before), I do not find towing tiring in the least and, given the downright excessive tongue weight, is sway really an issue? I have never experienced a hint of sway. I know they are great hitches, but I see more disadvantages than advantages. Of course, that is just me and my thought process.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
This, I think is the rub. The argument being, there are always events big enough that it will cause other hitches to sway. However, the question is, for a small trailer with a high end ball WDH like the BlueOx, would the forces necessary to create that sway just knock your entire rig over and cause a catastrophic accident regardless of what hitch you used? Or are there circumstances where the ProPride would actually prevent a catastrophic accidents where another WDH would not? In other words, with a small enough trailer and a strong enough WDH, is the weakest point not in fact the hitch anymore, and getting a better hitch won't change the outcome?

Maybe there just doesn't exist the evidence at this point to definitely say one way or another, fine. And maybe that is enough reason for me to get the most expensive hitch, because I don't whether a "lesser" hitch will be just as effective for my rig as the most expensive.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:27 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:

I agree totally. I traveled 1,000s of miles with a conventional weight distribution/Sway Control hitch with no problem until I was traveling south an a major highway in Florida with high cross winds. That was a white knuckle drive for sure. Shortly after that drive, and for safety reasons I purchased the Hensley. Since then and with over 18,000 miles pulling my 30’ International pulling through higher cross winds in western TX, NM and AZ, absolutely no sway. So in my book, Hensley or PP offer #1 travel safety.

Brian
Powerrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Equal-i-zer brand hitch.

Hi, my trailer came brand new with an Equal-i-zer brand hitch. I towed my 2005 25' Safari with a 2000 Lincoln Navigator, with this hitch for over ten years. For the next 7 years I towed the same trailer, with the same hitch, with my 2014 F-150. I have never had to replace any parts on this hitch in 17 years of use. I have towed in 117 degrees heat and as low as zero degrees temps. I have towed in rain, heavy winds, in snow, and on ice. I have towed on pavement, dirt, and gravel roads. Pretty much all of my trips have been at least 500 miles each way. I towed from Southern California to Alaska and back for 50 days and over 10,000 miles with my Lincoln. I have towed from Oregon to Maine, to South Carolina, and back to Oregon. This was for 3 1/2 months and over 13,000 miles.

[B][B]"In all of this time, my trailer (only once) swayed violently out of control; It was parked in my driveway during a 5.0 Earthquake."

Buy and use whatever hitch makes you happy. (or feel safe)
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I have pulled with both
Hensley is much better at sway control but a properly set up rig with friction anti sway bar(s) has been satisfactory for me. Original Hensley failed in the equalizer cups and no way would I spring for $3000 + US to replace it. CanAm sold me an Easylift. New to us trailer has Hensley. Ground clearance is bound to be an issue from time to time but happy to have the Hensley.
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Getting an expensive Propride or Hensley is a personal financial decision. I do think, and I was one of them, that there is less thought put into getting a proper hitch set up than should be. I didn’t even think about it. I just let the dealer make that decision for me. And then they gave no instruction on how to adjust it, etc.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
RAM 2500 6.7 Diesel with auto load leveling and Equalizer hitch towing a 25FB works very well for us. 50K miles without incident or uncomfortable moments.

I might consider the Hensley/ProPride solution if still towing with a RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Getting an expensive Propride or Hensley is a personal financial decision. I do think, and I was one of them, that there is less thought put into getting a proper hitch set up than should be. I didn’t even think about it. I just let the dealer make that decision for me. And then they gave no instruction on how to adjust it, etc.
For me it wasn't financial.
I didn't want that heavy clunker hanging forever on my trailer and forget backing in with the stinger.
The last trailer I bought came with a Hensley, told them to keep it and installed my BO on it.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
For me it wasn't financial.
I didn't want that heavy clunker hanging forever on my trailer and forget backing in with the stinger.
The last trailer I bought came with a Hensley, told them to keep it and installed my BO on it.
It’s really not a big deal. And it’s pretty hard to forget to put the stinger in when you are going to hitch up.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:03 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Tallahassee , FL
I believe if you think your set up is prone to sway I thinknyou.need to work on fixing the weight distribution before using a mechanical device to fix the problem. We have used a Husky Centerline on our GMC 2500HD for an SOB and our current 21GT27FBQ. Been across the US several times with no white knuckling..
but to each his own, I spent dollar difference of a H or PP on our battery upgrade.
Kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:04 PM   #17
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Friction sway controls are not usable in wet conditions. Hensley and ProPride are always usable and will not allow any sway. It is geometrically impossible (think trapezoid).
Now, is it opinion or experience driving the discussion?
I had an experience when my trailer was brand new. Traveling on I-90 just east of the OH/PA border a tractor trailer wheel and tire separated and came flying across the divider median directly at me in the driver's seat. At 60 mph I swerved the rig right then left to avoid a direct strike. The wheel and tire went down the side of the trailer. Doing some damage to the left side. At that time a car was starting to pass me on the left. I never did see that happened to the car. All I can say is I'm glad I have a Hensley. I'm still here. That's not the kind of experience you want, but it sure counts.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Friction sway controls are not usable in wet conditions.
Hitches like the BlueOx Sway Pro and Equal-i-zer are not impacted by rain. It’s not like a friction sway bar that slides in and out of a sleeve, the bars are locked into place under tension.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Friction sway controls are not usable in wet conditions. Hensley and ProPride are always usable and will not allow any sway. It is geometrically impossible (think trapezoid).
Now, is it opinion or experience driving the discussion?
I had an experience when my trailer was brand new. Traveling on I-90 just east of the OH/PA border a tractor trailer wheel and tire separated and came flying across the divider median directly at me in the driver's seat. At 60 mph I swerved the rig right then left to avoid a direct strike. The wheel and tire went down the side of the trailer. Doing some damage to the left side. At that time a car was starting to pass me on the left. I never did see that happened to the car. All I can say is I'm glad I have a Hensley. I'm still here. That's not the kind of experience you want, but it sure counts.
guskmg
I had a similar experience with my rig where I was forced to do a crash avoidance maneuver while had the cruise control set at 70 mph. I tapped the brake allowed the truck to slow gradually.
The sway prevention kicked in on the F-250 and the Blue Ox .
Both side of the trailer lifted of the pavement momentarily and intermittently than everything settled down like nothing happened.
All this without a clunky overhyped and overprized PP or Hensley, who would have thought one could actually live through such a catastrophe without one of them.
The 30' Classic was bouncing back and fort like a rag doll behind the F-250.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
It's hard to understand the difference until you have experienced a Hensley or ProPride.
No one "needs" a Hensley or ProPride to tow an Airstream safely. I fell for the hype and bought an expensive ProPride for my 2012 25' and also used it a few years later on my 2015 30' bunk. When I sold the 30' I was glad to see the ProPride go and would never go back. Everyone has their idea of what is safe, or safer, for their personal usage, tolerances, and abilities, regardless of whether it is needing to tow a 19' with an F350, using a Hensley/ProPride, weighing at the CAT scales every time you load, the brand of tires, putting 80psi in your tires on a 23' etc...

Presenting one's opinion can be done as just that, a biased personal opinion, without the implied don't or crash and burn rhetoric.

Just to be clear using a Hensley/ProPride in heavy winds with semis blasting by does not mean you don't need to pay close attention and are not forced to make constant steering adjustments. There is nothing relaxing about using a ProPride anymore than my current Blue Ox under adverse conditions. There is a big difference between a true back and forth sway event and normal towing steering corrections regardless of what truck or hitch. Sure if you want to go to the extreme setups, mentioned above, you can lessen it a little bit but it is certainly not eliminated. Dare I say the person driving is the 99.9% safety factor regardless of setup. No one seems to mention the need for advanced driving classes, or towing classes, which is probably the most important aspect of safely driving much less towing. Maybe the new SuperCruise on the top of the line 2022 GM trucks will take care of all that for you.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote