Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Powered Dolly - Parkit 360 10K

I just got done using our Parkit 360 10K dolly for the second time and would like to report that it worked well for my application. I have a 2017 25' Airstream going up a 40' asphalt driveway on a slight incline from an asphalt street. I wanted to have the Airstream parked with the trailer tongue under the garage overhang to keep it as far away from the street as possible.

The only issue was a surmountable curb that was not very surmountable by the dolly. The first time, I parked the Airstream in the street, unhitched it and proceeded to move it onto the driveway with the dolly. The dolly got stuck on the curb. It would not go forward, nor backward. Out came the floor jack and a few swear words. It was late at night and I decided to just back it in like I usually did and tackle it the next day. At the coffee maker at work the next day I was describing my dilemma and one of my coworkers asked why I didn't just drive my tow vehicle up my drive a little bit to get the hitch beyond the not so surmountable curb before I used the dolly. Problem solved!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parkit Dolly.jpg
Views:	1092
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	282438  
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Do you think that unit would work on a flat gravel driveway?
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Following......
Old 03-31-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
The 10K B3 comes with the 6.5" wide track tires (Gives your trailer dolly better traction on grades, grass and gravel). I would definitely get the B3 version. I believe with these tires and the 800+ pounds of tongue weight, on a level gravel drive the unit would work. There are youtube videos showing it in action on packed gravel.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Ontario
We bought our 25 Flying Cloud late last fall. I brought it home and parked it straight back in my driveway, no problem. But, I want to park it parallel and beside my garage, not easy to do. I have been looking at the Parkit 360 10 K and contacted the company. They suggested the B3 version as well. My trailer is in storage right now and I will pick it up early May. In another article, the writer said he worries on the return trip from camping about parking his unit at home, that is me as well. I have been reluctant to spend the money to purchase a dolly, your article has pushed me to reconsider. Maybe time to bite the bullet.
drobbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Thumbs up Hrmmm

This great timing. I spent nearly 6+ hrs looking at my option and this was one of it. I too was looking at the HB3 option and right now its on sale and free shipping and I'm feeling an impulse buy

I currently do not have a driveway and plan to put one in eventually, until then I have two of these ramps so I can get up the curb and only need to move it less than 100' toward the back/side of the house. My only concern is the 5min run time I'm sure that may be sufficient to most but this will be new to me and w/ tight turns, I may need more time

Anyhoo, I'm curious to know how many folks out there has these and what's the pro and cons to them? I need to stop that impulse soon lol.

p.s. don't want to use my TV because I need to tow inwards where the TV is not an option in the position I want
i2oadRunnei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I couldn't get my AS in the garage without the Parkit360 as I have to thread the AC through the slot I cut in the header. Works great, I did have an issue with the third time I used it and the Parkit360 guys sent me parts to upgrade my unit under warranty. I did have to pay freight which chafed a bit but the upgrade eliminated the control board which was the weak point which was better than just replacing the board. I am very happy with the unit but a word of caution; follow the directions to the letter as the key to it working correctly is the proper coupling of the ball and receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1496.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	282481  
Old 03-31-2017, 05:19 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
I have that unit and love it! Great for difficult placements and parallel parking. A word of caution-when using follow the directions exactly, keep your stab jack close to the ground so if the trailer weight overcomes the Park-it, it only falls to the ground the 2-3 inches. Do not use on sloped surfaces without the aide of wheel chocks (trailer can push thePark-it over if you are not careful).
This really is a 2-3 person job if the ground is not totally flat. In loose gravel it will spin and get stuck, packed gravel or DG is okay.
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
I couldn't get my AS in the garage without the Parkit360 as I have to thread the AC through the slot I cut in the header. Works great, I did have an issue with the third time I used it and the Parkit360 guys sent me parts to upgrade my unit under warranty. I did have to pay freight which chafed a bit but the upgrade eliminated the control board which was the weak point which was better than just replacing the board. I am very happy with the unit but a word of caution; follow the directions to the letter as the key to it working correctly is the proper coupling of the ball and receiver.
Yicks - That's one tight parking spot.... holy cow!
Old 03-31-2017, 06:21 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
I have that unit and love it! Great for difficult placements and parallel parking. A word of caution-when using follow the directions exactly, keep your stab jack close to the ground so if the trailer weight overcomes the Park-it, it only falls to the ground the 2-3 inches. Do not use on sloped surfaces without the aide of wheel chocks (trailer can push thePark-it over if you are not careful).
This really is a 2-3 person job if the ground is not totally flat. In loose gravel it will spin and get stuck, packed gravel or DG is okay.
I have a sloped drive and ordered the unit with the 7-way plug so the trailer brakes engage when the power switch is in neutral. Well worth the additional charge. I was using it to move my 5K# boat trailer that has a surge brake and it got away from me. It dragged the dolly and, fortunately, it stopped within one foot of the house. Won't try that again!
Old 03-31-2017, 06:53 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
When I use the dolly I clip the Airstream's breakaway brake lanyard to my belt with a carabiner as an emergency stop measure if all else fails.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:21 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoMN View Post
When I use the dolly I clip the Airstream's breakaway brake lanyard to my belt with a carabiner as an emergency stop measure if all else fails.
Works for the electric brake AS but not for a surge brake, at least not on mine. Tried to yank the brake-away cable by hand but couldn't trip it.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:24 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I notice they say it will handle "up to 900 lbs tongue weight" My 27FB Classic is 900 - 1000lbs depending on its mood (only possible explanation). Has anyone talked to them about heavier tongue weights?
Old 04-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
ParkIt 360 with a ProPride Hitch

The ParkIt 360 dolly with normal sized wheels works well with my 2016 30' Classic. I think the Classic's weight (tongue and overall) is close to the dolly's capacity on a level concrete surface.

FYI, I also use the ProPride hitch, therefore, needed to think about how to connect the dolly to the ProPride's hitch box on the trailer. I fabricated a custom adapter that: a) securely goes into the trailer's hitch box; and b) goes into the dolly's column pocket that normally holds the dolly's ball. The adapter works well as it eliminates the dolly's ball resulting in a much more stable dolly-to-trailer connection. A picture of the adapter is attached.

Safe travels. Dennis
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Rittman , Ohio
Parkit 360 Brake option

We acquired a ParkIt 360 with the braking option. We built an RV garage for our 2015 Int. Serenity 25 FB, but our contractor (despite several questions) didn't understand the turning radius for a TV plus trailer. The ParkIt 360 is perfect for putting our trailer away. Our garage is a drive-through. On the back side we have a slight incline. The braking option works perfectly. If you're not on the "throttle", the brakes are on. It takes some muscle to make the 90 degree turns with the unit, but it does do the job.
Rabid54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #16
planosteve

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Plano , Texas
PowerTRAX

Not bad-mouthing the Parkit here. If it works for you that's great. But if you're following this thread because you're in the market for a powered trailer dolly, you owe it to yourself to check out the PowerTRAX TX6000. It's bigger, beefier and stronger than the Parkit. Has a 36V motor instead of Parkit's 12V motor. It will run all day. You don't have to let it cool down after five minutes. And it's variable speed, so if you need to go over a curb or garage floor lip, this bad boy can handle it. Oh, and it's comparably priced, if you consider that the base model includes the trailer electric brake controller. check it out at https://traxpowerdolly.com/home-trailer-dolly-bar
planosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by planosteve View Post
Not bad-mouthing the Parkit here. If it works for you that's great. But if you're following this thread because you're in the market for a powered trailer dolly, you owe it to yourself to check out the PowerTRAX TX6000. It's bigger, beefier and stronger than the Parkit. Has a 36V motor instead of Parkit's 12V motor. It will run all day. You don't have to let it cool down after five minutes. And it's variable speed, so if you need to go over a curb or garage floor lip, this bad boy can handle it. Oh, and it's comparably priced, if you consider that the base model includes the trailer electric brake controller. check it out at https://traxpowerdolly.com/home-trailer-dolly-bar
I did consider the PowerTRAX but ultimately went with the Parkit360 after speaking with both companies. I came to understand the PowerTRAX required its own separate set of batteries and I did not want to maintain another set. Apparently they don’t have the option to use th AS batteries.

I do admit the PowerTRAX looks much beefier! Glad it worked for you!

There are lots of other options out there as well which is good because we all have slightly different needs.

If it weren’t so expensive I would have gone with this option :

Trailer Valet RVR (9,000lb) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BNB9B2Y..._dKFuBb79AAY5J
UncleBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #18
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
For what those cost you could spend a little more and have it with you all the time:

http://www.purplelineusa.com/video-i...ler-movers.php
Old 07-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Powered Dolly - Parkit 360 10K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
For what those cost you could spend a little more and have it with you all the time:

http://www.purplelineusa.com/video-i...ler-movers.php

Yep - ruled out a while ago. See this thread discussing Truma and PurpleLine. It was my original plan but would have required modifications to the Airstream and not advised by Airstream. Very cool trailer mover tho...

Truma mover system
http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175248
Old 07-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #20
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Love My Parkit360

We use our Parkit360 every time we park at home, or leave, we have a 38 foot slab running down the side of the garage it is right on the property line. About 1 foot clearance off of the eve to the airstream and a short turn area to the alley. It does a great job every time(In my opinion impossible without)

LynnSr
lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote