Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Equalizer Extended Shank and F-150 tailgate

Hi All,

We have an Equalizer hitch for our 2012 FC 25FB pulled by a 2012 F150 EcoBoost. Unfortunately, with the AS hitched, we can't open the tailgate.

We currently have the standard length Equalizer shank (which is 12"), and I see they have an extended shank (which is 18").

A few questions:

1) Does anyone use an extended shank? I'm wondering if that extra 6" would cause any towing issues.

2) If you have an F150, can you open the tailgate when hitched? I wondered if rotating the jack head 90-degrees might give me enough clearance.

I would like to be able to open the tailgate to get the two Honda EU2000 generators out to run the AC. We have a tonneau cover, so we can't run them without removing them from the truck.

Thanks in advance for any insights,
Jeff
barrettjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Just found a thread with a similar question.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Check out Blue Ox shank. Blue Ox - Weight Distribution

I use their 14" and it clears my elect. jack.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Decreasing road performance for a slight convenience is the wrong direction to take things.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We have a 2010 F-150 and use an Equalizer too. I can open the tailgate about 45 degrees when hooked up. That allows me to roll up the tonneau cover enough to get at whatever I need to. I also am 6'3" so I can get into the back from the side if need be.

I did rotate the jack head 90 degrees (for my flag holder) and that does allow the tailgate more room to open but just a few more degrees. I actually liked the way the tailgate fell on the head of the jack before I rotated it as it was a perfect platform to protect the tailgate from damage. Flag holder is a must though....

I am curious, any time we need a generator we are unhooked from the truck. As a matter of fact, We never sleep in the trailer if it is hooked up! Maybe someday we will hit a Walmart for an evening but then battery power will suffice.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks for the replies. After reading the thread linked to above, I decided we don't need to do this enough to do anything to affect the towing.

As to why I want to get the generators out, we travel with our dogs, and there are occasions when we want them in AC for a short stop. It is almost always too hot here to leave them in the truck when we go into a restaurant or, most recently, waiting for roadside assistance to come change a flat!

It is just a bit awkward to lift the two Honda EU2000s out of the bed, over the tailgate, and down to the ground. Good workout I guess
Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettjl View Post
Thanks for the replies. After reading the thread linked to above, I decided we don't need to do this enough to do anything to affect the towing.

As to why I want to get the generators out, we travel with our dogs, and there are occasions when we want them in AC for a short stop. It is almost always too hot here to leave them in the truck when we go into a restaurant or, most recently, waiting for roadside assistance to come change a flat!

It is just a bit awkward to lift the two Honda EU2000s out of the bed, over the tailgate, and down to the ground. Good workout I guess
We too travel with dogs, we find that the remote start feature will allow us to keep the truck running (thus climate controlled) and locked and we can see interior temperature on the remote to ensure that all is well.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Bruce B, we have been doing that too, but our shuts off after 15 minutes. I also worry about letting the truck idle for too long.

Ours doesn't have the interior temperature on the remote; that's a great feature!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Dan and Lynda

2012 28' International
Bremerton , Washington
I have an equalizer hitch and pull a 28' International with a GMC 2500. I have the same issue with the tail gate hitting the jack. I just put the foot on the jack and a block under the jack and jack up the trailer like I was unloading the sway bars and open the tail gate. When I'm done, I just retract the jack and put the foot and block back in the truck. The block makes it a little faster and the jack does not have to extend as far.
The Cralls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Decreasing road performance for a slight convenience is the wrong direction to take things.
That is a prudent observation. Unhook when you need to - a couple of minutes is all it takes to re-hitch if you keep the TV pulled straight away ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote