Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2022, 06:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

DEMCO hitch locked

I’ve read previous posts where fellow streamers have had issues with their DEMCO auto lock hitch; but until yesterday, ours had performed just fine. We are on the road and pulled into our site just North of Clearwater, FL and the latch just won’t release. The truck is on a very slight angle in relation to the AS with the nose of the truck being higher than the hitch. I’ve tried the usual tricks like pulling forward and raising and lowering the jack. Anybody got any magic?
GiaPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:10 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Is the tongue jack lifting the hitch up right now?

Maybe lower the trailer back fully on to the ball and try the release again. Make sure trailer is chocked too.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:36 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Demco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Is the tongue jack lifting the hitch up right now?

Maybe lower the trailer back fully on to the ball and try the release again. Make sure trailer is chocked too.
Yes. I’ve tried that and also jacking up to the max height. Reading the posts, it seems that the angle of the truck in relation to the hitch is the issue; however, the angle is very slight. I hate to pull the stinger out, as getting it back in could be tricky. Even then, if it does release, handling the 110 lb ball assembly will be tough.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:56 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
DEMCO 800-543-3626 Ext. 178 talk to Josh.

Any chance to post a pic from a nice side view?
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 01-04-2022, 08:02 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Demco

We’re free! Found that the problem was I had the driver’s side of the trailer up on leveling ramps to adjust for the site. I rolled forward, got off the ramps and felt the latch immediately relax. I then put a load back on the jack and the latch released with one finger. I’m not sure I did anything wrong. Apparently, the coupler is sensitive to left/right attitude. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:37 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
GiaPK,

I had a DEMCO installed on my 2007 last fall. No problems yet.

I think job #1 is getting the latch handle UP with the trailer resting on the ball completely. If you try to use the jack and pull it off the ball (w/o the latch UP) it just pushes the locking wedge down and it stays locked. Wedge goes up ball is freely released.

Safe travels

Gary