Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #1

Runnells , Iowa
Adding a Second Battery

Our 25' Safari has the battery case w/ room for one battery mounted side-to-side behind the propane tanks. Is there a way to make modifications so that we can add a second battery? We'd like to do more dry camping and one battery just doesn't last long enough--so we have to run the generator more than we want. Thanks.
davesid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesid
Our 25' Safari has the battery case w/ room for one battery mounted side-to-side behind the propane tanks. Is there a way to make modifications so that we can add a second battery? We'd like to do more dry camping and one battery just doesn't last long enough--so we have to run the generator more than we want. Thanks.
Davesid,

Bestconvertor.com offers battery boxes in several sizes. Take a look and see if one of them might fit.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Hi davesid

If you use the search tool you'll find threads about your question - some people have had custom boxes built and welded on to the frame, and some have added sealed batteries into the inside of the trailer.

My 16' CCD also only has one battery, which isn't enough for dry camping very long, or even overnight in cool weather if I need the furnace. Since I wanted to keep my trailer in original condition, I just take a second battery along in the back of the truck when dry camping - I can either switch them when needed, or hook them together with some battery jumper cables (I removed the spring clamps and crimped on some ring terminals) with the second battery sitting in its battery box under the A frame.

A side benefit of this is that I don't have to have the extra weight on trips where I go to a campground with hookups - total weight is probably more of an issue with my 16' than for your 25'

Bob
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
I assume the current battery is recessed into the A frame, and consequently there is not enough room to mount an additional one beside it. Alternatively, and cheaply, the batteries could be moved on top of the A frame, if there is enough height available before they bump into the curve of the front wall. Metal battery trays are available to fit many standard battery sizes. A group 24 tray at a local RV store was $7, and black or white vented plastic battery boxes run $7-25. These plastic boxes will never win a beauty contest against a shiny metal box, however.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #5

Runnells , Iowa
Thanks for the info. I assumed that this had been discussed many times in the past but apparently my searching skills are not good--as I couldn't find a discussion thread.
davesid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Corvallis , Oregon
I moved the propane tanks right behind the hitch jack like the later models, welded angle iron where the propane tanks were to support two deep cycle group 27 batteries installed a battery selector switch in the front on the cabinet supporting the bed. This is on our 22' AS international. With the battery switch I can use them separately or individually, or completely disconnect them.
boblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblind View Post
I moved the propane tanks right behind the hitch jack like the later models, welded angle iron where the propane tanks were to support two deep cycle group 27 batteries installed a battery selector switch in the front on the cabinet supporting the bed. This is on our 22' AS international. With the battery switch I can use them separately or individually, or completely disconnect them.
I like this idea. I wanted to go to 6V batteries, but there is not enough room between my propane tanks and the front of the trailer. The only problem is trying to charge two independent batteries. I think I would have to use a battery isolator like they have on boats, or kluge up something myself.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote