Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2003, 03:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Adding a second battery...

...So, I'm thinking about dry camping with the Tradewind, and I'm thinking a single battery may not do me for a whole weekend. Aside from buying a whole umpteen zillion dollar generator, how about a second battery?

I saw a tradewinds that had what looked like two batterys stock from the factory, one door on the curb side of the front of the trailer, and the other door on the other side.

Is a retrofit like this possible? Well, let me put that another way, 'cause anythings's possible if you're willing to spend your life savings on it.

What's the best slash cheapeast way to do that? Are the door and boxes available? I'd like it to look as factory as possible...

Thanks!
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 04:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Adding battery compartments is likely to be an expensive process and you will need to make sure there is room on the inside.

I think a better solution would be to get a couple of AGM type batteries, One to replace the existing battery and another to place inside somewhere convenient to wire in as a bank. The AGM's are a bit more expensive but completely sealed (can be shipped UPS ready to go) and are a bit more rugged than wet cells.

see
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/ow...ry-config.html
for some ideas on the serial vs parallel consideration as well as some links that might be of interest.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 05:11 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Depending on avail real estate, it is not that hard. If the photos were up, you could see the box Airstream put on the Bambi that they crammed two batts in.

Never has once gone under 100% per the wall meter and I was out boondocking for over a week with lights, pump, radio/cassette, etc.

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:45 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Two Battery Compartments

Two Battery Compartments are a distinct possability; I just had the street side compartment put in by my local AS mechanic; I would not suggest that you try this yourself unless you have a sound grounding(pun intended)! in Automotive Electronics, as the second battery will have to be tied into the univolt. The factory will not sell to ship a battery compartment, you will have to go through an AS dealer, even if you have more knowledge of what you want than the dealer They charged me $350.00 for a battery assay' and it was the wrong one, it took many weeks of arguementation befort the technical staff finally were called in to address the issue; turns out that the parts people did'nt know what they were talking about: The final analysis is that the compartment is installed and functioning perfectly. Your biggest problem is securing the Battery Compartment Assy. for your particular year and model AS, Good Luck!!! Bob Cornute, WBCCI 4953 & Vintage (first Year) 1977 International 31' Rear Bath (To P&S In September for a re-plasticote job!!!)
Robert L. Cornute is offline   Reply With Quote