Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Addison , Illinois
Cost of appraising used airstream

Hi,
What’s the average cost of having a used airstream appraised? The unit is fairly new and I just need assurance that everything is okay with the unit before buying it. Thanks!
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
You may mean Inspected.

Appraised... call your Insurance Agent. The agent can give you a value range. I sold my 25 foot 2014 International and the buyer had the trailer financed by State Farm Insurance.

There is a wide range, but today the market at this moment will cost you more than it would have two years ago A seller's market. Rough to pristine. Buying off a small car lot... beware. Buying from a Airstream Dealer... excellent choice.

Did you do a walk through the Trailer and check the exterior Numbers. Do they match the Title?

Fairly New to me is 2014. Year and Model and Length. Sometimes you a good deal is not. Paying more may not make it better. You need more than responses from the Forum but have someone represent your best interests.

Why is the Seller selling? Compare price to those on the Airforum For Sale is a good place to start. Ignorance makes it a difficult decision.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I think you are looking for in inspection not an appraisal. An appraisal is done mostly to establish a value for insurance purposes. Appraiser will look at the overall condition of the unit but much of the value is based on current comps. I have had 2 Airstreams appraised (2 different companies) and neither verified the operation of the appliances or electrical systems. Some appraisers will place a value with a few pictures.

This a an interesting article which addresses RV inspections:
https://rvshare.com/blog/how-much-do...spection-cost/

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If Ray is correct, you can locate an inspector via the Portal page [grey tab at top left on the main computer version of this site -- not the App]:

https://www.airforums.com/

On the right edge of this page there is a system for locating inspectors, who are volunteers usually.

Good luck.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Addison , Illinois
Yes, you are all correct. I meant inspected. The unit is being sold by a dealer as it was traded in but because I have no knowledge about critical components to inspect, I was considering hiring a certified inspector. Wanted to know if $450 is too much for inspection. Thanks!
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:42 AM   #6
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie View Post
Yes, you are all correct. I meant inspected. The unit is being sold by a dealer as it was traded in but because I have no knowledge about critical components to inspect, I was considering hiring a certified inspector. Wanted to know if $450 is too much for inspection. Thanks!
Yes, you want a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) given your being new to trailering, as do most folks for used cars & classics. We did so before we bought our 1960 Avion T20 vintage kin back in 2012, & I'd probably do so again today - even with experience.

We were fortunate in having a great vintage Airstream Resto shop a mile from us, who also went to Albuquerque several times a year for events, where our Avion sellers lived (it also turned out that he knew the sellers socially from those ABQ vintage trailer & Balloonfest events).

He also gave us an "Opinion of Value" Report (OVR) as a part of his PPI report - which is not an Appraisal because he's not an appraiser per se - but it was sufficient documentation for AAA to give us Agreed Value insurance on the trailer.

As I recall we paid about $150-200 for the PPI & OVR back in May-June 2012, but they may be a bit higher now, and vary between inspectors. Make sure that you get a written report for your records.

You should follow the recco of the poster above for the PPI inspector resources on here using their link provided above. It's best & most cost effective to use a local or nearby inspector so that you don't also have travel costs added on to their PPI fee (we didn't because Uwe was going to ABQ anyway & did it when there on his own dime).

Being a newer Airstream, you may not need an actual appraisal yet, since they're well covered in the current market for late model trailers by NADA, , etc. - unless it has some modifications, options, accessories, features, etc. added (e.g.: Solar system, Lithium battery set-up, customized theater/auio systems, etc.).

If it does, &/or if a later date you need to make an insurance claim & aren't getting enough of a settlement, or want to have Agreed Value coverage for the full value as upgraded & condition - then you may need to get an appraisal for it.

In that case you'll be well served to contact Jim Polk at Polk Associates PolkValuations.com - & while he's here in SoCal, he does appraisals all over, & you'll probably to do the photos etc. for him - with you being in IL.

PS - maybe edit your topic's title to "Inspection" or PPI, & edit your 1st post likewise - so that you get more on topic replies.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote