Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: your towing speed
55mph 167 13.03%
60mph 477 37.21%
65mph 460 35.88%
70mph 145 11.31%
75 mph or faster 33 2.57%
Voters: 1282. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2004, 05:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Hit a bug storm once and after a couple miles I had to stop to clean the windscreen, couldn't see a thing. I noticed that some bugs caused small dents in the AS any faster and it may have looked like I might have hit a hail storm. Those darn bugs are hard to get off, must be something they eat. Anyway I get my best mileage at 60 mph which is about 10 to 11 miles per gallon.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 06:32 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Depends on conditions

Depends; on the relatively flat interstate roads in the Midwest I may go as fast as the low 70’s. When we go to Bristol Kentucky later this month I’ll be going more like 60 to 65 on those hills. I have a 1974 31ft. International, towing with a 2001 Suburban 1500.
Pat66TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:59 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Head and cross winds tend to govern my speeds more than any other factor on open, flat terrain. This can vary my average speed from 55 to 70+ mph. By maintaining equal pressure on the accelerator pedal (about 1/2 way on my current tow vehicle) you will realize maximum fuel economy. Cruise control costs money because it is constantly changing the pressure on the accelerator pedal to maintain a constant speed when fighting winds.

Because most roads are not completely flat though, I accelerate to gain speed while descending a hill so as to take advantage of gravity (pedal is at about 3/4) I usually let off before I reach 80 mph though. Then when I begin ascending the next hill I keep the accelerator pedal at 3/4 and allow the momentum from my weight and speed to get me to the top. I will increase acceleration only if I drop to less than 50 mph. This is how experienced truckers drive. Cruise control costs money by decelerating down hills and accelerating up them.

Speed limits are a matter of common sense. If you drive too fast for the conditions that Janet’s husband has mentioned, then you are a dangerous driver. Period. But there is another side to this story.
A pet peeve of mine is to approach a vehicle from behind while going through very hilly terrain on a 2 lane highway who is maintaining the posted speed limit to the letter. 55 mph uphill. 55 mph downhill. This is also dangerous driving that lacks common sense! And they are usually oblivious to the fact that the grill of an 18 wheeler is staring at them in their rear view mirror, 2 inches off their back bumper. If this is how you drive, then please pull over to let others pass because you are driving downhill too SLOW!!!

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:27 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Towing Speeds

Generally tow at 60-65 on both hwy and secondary roads. Don't feel comfortable towing above that speed (esp. when hauling water). Found it difficult towing on the interstate this past weekend when large semi's passed by. Don't know if it was because I was hauling a full tank of water (normally only have tank 1/2 full) or the new (cheap) brake controller that was installed as a temp (the other failed) but there were times that I felt that the trailer was in control or lack of control that is. Haul with a V-10 Excursion and have a beefy anti-sway + stabilizer bar setup. Montanandy
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:38 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Although conditions govern my speed, I always look down and find I'm going faster than I want to be. I'd like to stick to 65 on a good road (even though there aren't too many of those around here.) I must be anxious to get where I'm going or something. After reading everyones posts I'm going to be even more careful. I tend to go 70. Probably too fast if you get a flat.
Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 05:58 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Depends on the conditions. Never as slow as 55 mph. And have has the truck/AS to around 80 mph. If you can get into a "convoy" of trucks, it's great. It's the safest place to be, and no problem to run a steady 75mph. IF a group of trucks are running 75 mph and suddenly slow to 65 mph then you know something is wrong. Slow down also. Truckers are usually the safest drivers on the road, even though a lot of people think otherwise. It's a proven fact that over 80% of all accidents that involve a tractor trailer, a car was at fault for the cause. Truckers drive many thousands of miles a year, and know what they are doing, well most of them anyway. My dad has logged close to 3 million "Safe Driving" miles over the last 27 years, a lot of them at 80+ mph.

Lowell
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:15 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I like to pull at or just below the speed limit. I have found that for the most part I can stay in the right hand lane and I am not running up of other cars. I don't hold up traffic and car and tractor trailers can easily pass.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 03:47 AM   #48
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Old thread revisited!

Thought I had already signed this one, guess not.

Anyway, I travel as best I can whatever the posted speed limit is. I try and maintain that pace but get caught sometimes behind slower moving vehicles.

I would rather be slightly slower than the flow of traffic to avoid the necessity to pass a lot. Whenever I get a chance I try and anticipate the hills to maintain my speed.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 04:27 PM   #49
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne F
Daplumber

Your story does demonstrate the capabilities of the slippery shape of the A/s design. It does inspire confidence when towing at run of the mill speeds.

I am aware that there has been A/S / tow vehicle testing done at a test track. Slalom & Lane change. Wonder if anyone has tried towing a bullet on the Bonneville Salt flats.
Check out the photos starting at this location:
http://www.airforums.com/photo...cat/3108/page/

After you select a photo, click on it to enlarge it and each subsequent photo will be enlarged. You will be able to read the text of the article if your monitor is large enough. You might need a magnifying glass otherwise. If you don't want to read the entire article, look at the caption for the photo at the bottom of page 3. The article was facinating, BTW.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 04:33 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
speed

I tow at 60 mile per hour, I think that is a good speed as far as safety, mileage, travel time. I agree with you Forrest, (speed kills) if you haven't experienced it first hand you might not understand, if it hadn't been for a speeder my daughter might be alive today. I hope Eric or anyone else on this forum never has to experience that. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:24 AM   #51
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Some are unsafe at any speed

I made a 150-mile round trip with my passenger car last weekend and had a chance to observe some fair sized SOB trailers, both on the road and in parking lots.

I looked at 8 white box trailers in the 27-30' range. Only one had both sway control and equalizing hitch installed. Only 4 had equalizing hitches. The remaining were pulled by 3/4 or 1 ton pickups using load carrying hitches and no sway controls.

The worst example was a 30 white box that passed me at at least 75 mph on a non-divided 4-lane. He was swaying visibly as he passed. A few hundred yards ahead of me, he moved to the right lane just as the car in front of him put on a right turn signal. He abruptly swung back to the left lane and almost lost it. He swayed all over 3 lanes. Only the fact that no one was approaching at the moment prevented a head on crash. He was so shaken that he reduced his speed to under 60 and pulled off shortly afterwards. He was driving a F350 with a load-carrying hitch and no visible sway control.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:56 AM   #52
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Kinda backs up that old saying ....

"Speed Kills"

With or with out sway and equalizing, speed can get you.

My personal target speed is 60 and 66 is off limits for me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
I see the same thing all the time. And the bigger and more powerful these pickups get, the worse the problem becomes. I think that the max legal speed for towing a travel trailer in Texas is 60 and if that is the case I wish they would do a better job of advertising that fact.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I think one of the most dangerous "traffic laws" we have are the two tiered speed limits as in Ohio. They have a 65 for automobiles and 55 for trucks. I have traveled Ohio interstates many times and I have seen countless near misses. I think everyone should have the same speed limit. I like 60 mph for towing - that's fast enough, too many things that can go wrong.
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:15 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
My usual speed is 60 mph, as even with a diesel the mpg really heads south after your speed increases past 60 mph. On the diesel forums there a lot complaints about "poor fuel mileage " from people pulling 11,000 pound fifth wheels @ 75 mph?!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:28 AM   #56
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313
On the diesel forums there a lot complaints about "poor fuel mileage " from people pulling 11,000 pound fifth wheels @ 75 mph?!
I feel for them!!!!!!!!!!!

And I have a fix, hand over the keys to the truck.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-21-2005, 12:12 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I have a tough time keeping it @ or below 65, We have gone several thousand miles towing a camper. Towing the SOB we started with a S10 Blazer was a white-knuckle experience, even with weight distribution bars. Upgraded to our current truck and it towed better. The Trade Wind tows great and at times I forget it is back there for brief moments.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:47 PM   #58
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
The sweet spot on my rig is 67 mph. But get a little tail wind and it creeps up over 70 on the interstate.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I think my average towing speed is alot lower than 55 mph.

The higher averages reflected on this poll would indicate alot of Interstate travel. We tend to avoid the Interstate Highway system and take a more leisurely drive along the scenic byways with lots of stops to take in the local attactions. That's the most fun in "getting there"!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:48 PM   #60
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
WOW! Hope none of you travelling at those high speeds ever gets a flat!

Shari

Traveling solo, I drive hard but with the Airstream my role as a responsible driver takes on a different dimension. My passengers and the drivers around me expect that I know what I am doings and towing within the law.

Towing, I tend to run 62-68, sometimes a litter slower or a bit faster; it all depends on the road conditions, terrain, visibility and wind. Towing fast is very fatiguing.

We have never had a flat and I’d like to keep it that way. While at Jackson Center, I saw a couple of Airstreams that were in for body repairs due to wheel/tire failures. I don’t plan to have this experience but hope to respond in a safe manor.

One thought that always stays in my mind, I’m pulling an Icon/Legend/Art and something that always brings smiles and compliments along the way. I want it to be clean; the impression it leaves will be remembered!
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote