Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Mountlake Terrace , Washington
Total newbie w/'77 24' Argosy

Hi Guys
As stated total newbie. just bought a 77 24ft t7 argosy tailer. I have no idea what I have but it's tight and I've seen it on the road and in use. Here's some pics. Critisim and comments welcome
Brian

w/oapaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Welcome to the forums. Argosys are cool! Check out the rally calendar - there are a number of NW rallies coming up and some of us have argosy-itis

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Very cool argosy indeed! It looks like it's in great shape- Congratulations!!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

That's one really cool looking trailer. You're going to have a lot of fun with him. You might need a little more than the Isuzu to tow him.

You need to give him (or her) a name, make him (or her) a member of the family, and go campin!!!!
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Thanks all for the welcome! I haven't got a name for it yet(to busy cleaning it up). I will be towing it with an Isuzu but it's a 6bb1 industial diesel in a 78 Ford F-250 pick up with a 1ton suspension. Enjoying this site very much. Thanks again
Brian
Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Brian, welcome to the Forums,, wow,,, what a great trailer,,, looks in very good shape,,, that is my very favorite trailer of all!!! a wonderful find,,, how did you locate it?? keep us posted with pictures,,, you did a good job,,, happy trails and have fun with it,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Brian,
Very nice looking trailer. Your horizontal sliding tambors under the sinks even look to be intact which is rare for a trailer of this vintage. It's very similar to my '78 with a few differences. I'm not up on my trailer ID but your designation 24ft t7. I thought the T was for twin beds and it looks like you have the pull out double, same as me which I thought was a 24D.

The few differences I saw and wondering if they are stock, optional, year model changes or what:

Your hanging closet doors are louvered, mine are solid.

The drawers under the desk are different and more "funiture like"

The kitchen sink facet is different. Yours has a higher spout (nice) and it looks like it doesn't interfere with the hot water knob when you move it to the left side (most annoying).

Love the rock guards on the front windows, any idea of brand?

The fold out extension to your kitchen counter looks very practical. A PO on mine installed a permanent 1/4 round type set of shelfs. OK except there's times we'd really like the open space up front.

Looks like a wall heater under that flip up shelf. Looks built in stock? Electric? That would be a very nice thing to have.

Left (drivers side) rear quarter you have the same little clear mystery light/lens. Who knows what this is for?

The rub moldings (or what ever they're called) look orange-ish in the center. I keep hearing the Airstreamers talk about replacing vinyl inserts but your's look to be painted, as do mine. Looks like the same color except mine have faded/peeled to where hardly any of the original color is visible.

NIce looking trailer. We're not far from you. Just got back from taking ours over to Walla Walla this weekend. First trip of the year. I'll look for you out on the road. The black behind the propane tanks is pretty distinctive.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Thanks again all. I bought this from a friend who also has a 6metre minuet, 76 I think. He bought this 2yrs ago used it twice and decided he like the minuet better. It sat for a year. The wife and I really liked it so we made an offer they could'nt refuse and one we thought a fair deal. Upon inspection it was originally a twin center bed. Somebody has removed the left(drivers side) bed unit and installed the closets and dresser(defenitly house furniture). They also made the other side a permanent bed(narrow aisle way to back). It has a few other things that were added. The rock gaurds are'nt proper for the trailer and don't lift off( something that needs fixin). I don't think the upper cupboards are right either. Is there supposed to be air space on top? All in all it's tight and I'm happy. The plastic stips around the middle and bottom are plastic and not painted. I'll be painting the front as soon as I find matching paint. Here are a couple of pics of my truck.
Brian

Old 04-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Brian,, the truck will look great with the Argosy,,, you are a lucky dog,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by w/oapaddle
Upon inspection it was originally a twin center bed. Somebody has removed the left(drivers side) bed unit and installed the closets and dresser(defenitly house furniture). They also made the other side a permanent bed(narrow aisle way to back).
Too bad, the twins are much harder to find. I would have loved to had the twin arrangement but the Double we have works fine for most occasions. The real floor plan I want is the rear door but those are next to impossible to find.

Quote:
The rock gaurds are'nt proper for the trailer and don't lift off( something that needs fixin).
Well, at least they're there. I worry about getting rock chip out on the highway to one of those big beautiful and expensive wrap around windows.

Quote:
I don't think the upper cupboards are right either. Is there supposed to be air space on top?
Yes, there is space up there. Your upper cupboards look stock. If there are no cracks in the plastic headliner in the front they you are very fortunate and BE CAREFULL!

Quote:
The plastic stips around the middle and bottom are plastic and not painted.
I know they are plastic strips but is the center a separate insert or is the orange painted or molded into the strip?

Quote:
I'll be painting the front as soon as I find matching paint. Here are a couple of pics of my truck.
The black front doesn't look bad. Trying to match the paint would be pretty hard. Even assuming you had the spec for the original 30 years of weather will make it different.

-Bernie
Old 04-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
The plastic stips are inserts. Oh, the heaters are add ons and propane. The original was a force air unit i believe. I think the truck and trailer are a good match and era correct also. Thanks for the info on the cupboards. I will be fixing the bed so it will slide like the front bed for more walk way. I'm not sure about the other side yet.
Brian
Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Mmm, someone must have decided to paint mine at one point when the inserts went bad. Always "looked" like it was made for inserts but I've only ever seen posts regarding read and blue inserts for the Airstreams. I'm thinking I'd like a maroon color insert. One good think would be it would make the plastic molding strips less of a pine needle catcher and mold habitat.

Yes, the original funace sat under the sink and was propane forced air. Are the wall units in your trailer the catalytic type? The original forced air works OK but it's a pain to light and the thermostat is hard to regulate to where it's comfortable. Seems like the two choices are <50 degrees or >80 degrees . Oh, and it sort of sounds like you're under the flight path at the airport . It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like they did such a good job fitting the heaters into the wall skins that I thought it was factory.

I can take some pictures of how the original bed slides away and folds up into a sofa. One thing is there is a narrow piece that sits under the back of the sofa and completes the double bed when pulled out. This leaves the person against the wall with a crack running down the middle of the sleeping area. Somehow there must be a better way! If you want to make the trip out to Woodinville some time you can see for yourself.

-Bernie
Old 04-23-2007, 10:13 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Bhayden, I was told that the little crystal light thingy was used to check to polarity of the electrical hookup. If that makes sense. I don't know other than that, but you might post the question under "electrical".

Cheers!
Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Welcome to the Forums. I personally love the Argosy's. I am hoping to someday have one to add to my list. Congrats on the find!!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper
I was told that the little crystal light thingy was used to check to polarity of the electrical hookup. If that makes sense. I don't know other than that, but you might post the question under "electrical".
Ah, use of the search function reveals you are 100% correct. So now I know it's a good thing I've never seen it on . -Bernie
Old 04-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper
Bhayden, I was told that the little crystal light thingy was used to check to polarity of the electrical hookup. If that makes sense. I don't know other than that, but you might post the question under "electrical".

Cheers!
It is a reverse polarity warning light.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:24 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
The more I visit this site the more I like it! Most of my questions are answered before I ask them. I picked up my hitch and weight distributor set up yesterday. I will wire in the plug for the truck this weekend. I do have a problem though. I searched the forums and posted a thread in referigerators.
The previous owner left some meat in the fridge after the last trip. I tried everything I know but can't get rid of the smell. The refer is only 2yrs old. am I out a new refer or does someone have a cure?
Brian
Old 04-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by w/oapaddle
The previous owner left some meat in the fridge after the last trip. I tried everything I know but can't get rid of the smell. The refer is only 2yrs old. am I out a new refer or does someone have a cure?
Brian
Cook lutefisk on stove? Fridge won't seem like such a problem!

Have you tried cleaning with soap/baking soda solution and then leaving it open for a long time?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I had great results with a natural cleaning product called, Bac Out.

Our cat peed on a pile of clothes (multiple times)- and rather than tossing an expensive jacket, I decided to soak it in bac out (and water)- for a few days. The smell was totally gone!! It's a natural enzyme based cleaner- I use it everywhere, because I hate the smell of conventional cleaners.

I'd spray it in, close the doors and let it be for a few days. Repeat if necessary.

You'll find it at a natural foods store.

Good luck!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Janet: ROFLMAO! If all else fails I'll try the lutefisk. Thanks for all the help! This place is great!
Brian