Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Skyliner Antenna

I am looking for more details on the Skyliner Antenna. I have an exploded view, but it doesn't give enough detail on how the rotation mechanism works.
The antenna opens and closes just fine. But when I push the handle up to rotate and turn the handle, the antenna does not rotate. It feels like something is slipping. I can rotate the antenna by hand from topside. When I do that I here a faint clicking.
Any ideas?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Our Skyliner works, but you have to push up hard on the handle--and keep pushing up--while you rotate. (The raise and lower function works fine.)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
TG, can you share where you got the diagram? I don't see where the lead connects to it, nor where it goes into the shell.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
TG, can you share where you got the diagram? I don't see where the lead connects to it, nor where it goes into the shell.
Hi Aage,

Not sure where TG got his, but I have attached a copy of a Skyliner manual that I have.

I has a template for marking the entry point if you go in through the base on page 6. I don't remember mine going in through the base, though. Unfortunately, I can't put my hands on any photos of the antenna on the roof—perhaps this evening when I get home.

Back to the original topic, rotating the antenna, see page 3 under the "TESTING" section, number 2, "When antenna is fully raised TURN CRANK IN OPPOSITE DIRECTION AT LEASE HALF A TURN BEFORE PUSHING IT UP WHILE STILL TURNING SLIGHTLY. See Fig. 5. This will engage the rotate pin."

BTW, the Skyliners are great antennas. Do HD perfectly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tv_antenna.pdf (1.01 MB, 117 views)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Hi Aage,

Not sure where TG got his, but I have attached a copy of a Skyliner manual that I have.

I has a template for marking the entry point if you go in through the base on page 6. I don't remember mine going in through the base, though. Unfortunately, I can't put my hands on any photos of the antenna on the roof—perhaps this evening when I get home.
Thank you very much, Vaughn. That's lots of good detail. It does seem to be rather flexible as to where the lead enters the TT, so I will be interested to hear what you find on yours. I will be getting down to ours next weekend to see if it was done the same way.

All I see now is the 4' of lead loose on the roof.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Thanks Vaughn. This forum is great!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Looks like the roll pin might be sheared on the rotate mechanism. If I take the handle off of the inside. Does the whole mechanism just lift out of it's mount? Is it simply held in by it's weight?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Michigan
Was just playing with the antenna on my 86.5 argosy today and it sounds like the same one. I found that putting upward pressure and then turning it a little bit you will find a spot where it pushes up a lot easier. Hold with plenty of pressure in that spot and start turning it with your other hand. How is your reception?
Tesseract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Looks like the roll pin might be sheared on the rotate mechanism. If I take the handle off of the inside. Does the whole mechanism just lift out of it's mount? Is it simply held in by it's weight?
It's not going anywhere when the handle is in place. That's what holds it on.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Thank you very much, Vaughn. That's lots of good detail. It does seem to be rather flexible as to where the lead enters the TT, so I will be interested to hear what you find on yours. I will be getting down to ours next weekend to see if it was done the same way.

All I see now is the 4' of lead loose on the roof.
When we left off here, the question was, "Does the cable go in at the base of the Skyliner using the hold drilled under the base per the instructions or does it go into the Airstream somewhere else?" The answer is yes.

It's a tie. On my Excella, photo 1, it goes in beneath the base. On my Trade Wind, photo 2, it enters by the fridge vent under a small patch of metal secured by screws. Like so many things Airstream, whatever works best for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excella 1600 DSC02106.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	158392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trade Wind 1600 DSC02108.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	158393  

Old 05-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The shaft pushes up about 5/8"but does not engage with the drive hub.
I feel some resistance when I turn the handle counterclockwise, but the antenna does not move.
I'll just have to dig into it and see what's up.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
folsom , California
Good day everyone. Unfortunately I cannot add any insight to the situation, but I do have relevant question (so I think anyways). What size allen wrench fits the screw in the handle? I don't have the right size and thought perhaps I would ask before I go to the store. I have looked quite a bit here on the forum and it seems as though it never comes up or at least put in writing. Perhaps I just need a whole set anyways. Thanks in advance!

Also, I am taking my antenna off so if anyone needs parts from it, I might be able to provide them. cheers.
tahoe_air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
When we left off here, the question was, "Does the cable go in at the base of the Skyliner using the hold drilled under the base per the instructions or does it go into the Airstream somewhere else?" The answer is yes.

It's a tie. On my Excella, photo 1, it goes in beneath the base. On my Trade Wind, photo 2, it enters by the fridge vent under a small patch of metal secured by screws. Like so many things Airstream, whatever works best for you.
Perfect! Thanks, Vaughn. The refer vent comes out right beside the radio, which is actually what I want to use the antenna for.

Plus, no new holes in the body? Yay!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe_air View Post
Good day everyone. Unfortunately I cannot add any insight to the situation, but I do have relevant question (so I think anyways). What size allen wrench fits the screw in the handle? I don't have the right size and thought perhaps I would ask before I go to the store. I have looked quite a bit here on the forum and it seems as though it never comes up or at least put in writing. Perhaps I just need a whole set anyways. Thanks in advance!

Also, I am taking my antenna off so if anyone needs parts from it, I might be able to provide them. cheers.
The crank handle is missing on mine. I would sure appreciate one, if you are willing. Will shoot you a PM.