Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Reidsville , North Carolina
Battery Not Charging

My '73 26' Argosy battery doesn't seem to be charging. It's been plugged in for weeks but the battery has gone out from running the lights and heater fan occasionally. Is the battery suppose to charge when it's plugged in? If so, can someone recommend some steps to take to see if it's charging and how to repair it?
bombard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you have the original Univolt converter it may have failed. Even if it didn't, it's time to upgrade.
Is there water in the battery?
Have you checked the fuses?
What is the voltage at the battery when you are plugged in?
Is there 120 volt AC power to the converter?
Have you checked the connections at the battery?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

It is the original univolt. Whats the recommended upgrade?
I have a good battery. I haven't pulled the univolt yet to see if everything is hooked up properly, there is a water line blocking me from removing it. It's just not a project I have had as a priority to tackle yet... I guess it's time now.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I installed a Progressive Dynamics 9245 in my '74 Argosy 26' in 2010. It has worked flawlessly since.
Even without a battery it powers everything.
I usually remove the battery when the coach is stored. Use it for other things. Just tape off the positive lead and plug the coach in. That way I have lights and heat if I need it.
I did install a new fuse block as well.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Battery Charger

Curious, would a battery charger or trickle charger work temporarily? I can't drop the funds for a new Progressive Dynamics yet.