Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
San Francisco , California
Sugarloaf progress thread

Hi all!

Picked this Sovereign International up on Christmas Eve. PO bought it new in '77, died inside of it in 2010. He loved to smoke and the interior is super nasty. It sat unoccupied for a year before I picked it up. Well, unoccupied except for all the critters that set up shop.

Now it's mine and I'm going for a complete renovation.

It's a center bath and the furniture's been removed (it was originally a twin bed). I'm keeping the kitchen and bathroom largely intact, since all the appliances work.

I spent the past couple days knocking out whatever walls and trim I didn't like. Most of the walls have to be removed anyway so I can clean/strip/paint them.

Here're some photos. I removed the closet assembly across from the bath and will be turning it into a tiny closet (entry from the bedroom) with some countertop/cabinets situated over the wheel well.

I also cut off half of a wall in the bathroom so that the shower didn't feel so claustrophobic. PO replaced the original toilet with an elongated residential model... not crazy about it, but I think I'm going to see if I can make it work.

Found a nice little mouse nest under the sink.

I removed the overhead storage in the bedroom and hallway. Also removed the storage compartment above the fridge in the hopes of extending line of sight further down the trailer.

I'll be updating this thread as I go along... lots to do!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loaf1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	147943   Click image for larger version

Name:	loaf2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	147944  

Name:	closetgone.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	147945   Click image for larger version

Name:	wallgone.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	147946  

Name:	bathroom.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	147947  
whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Carlsbad , California
Blog

I read your blog and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very creative. I look forward to hearing your updates on the Sovereign Rehab and I'm sure you find lots of help here on the Forum.
Jfuller678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Thank you!

New post up. dead reckon - Step 1: DESTROY.

I'm finally done ripping out all the pieces-parts I found superfluous. Big pile of stuff! Gone!

I decided to tackle everything in two parts... going to do the bedroom/bathroom area, and then deal with the front of the trailer.

Doing a lot of paint prep at the moment... clean, rinse, TSP, rinse, sand, rinse, prime, prime, spray. It's, uh, pretty time-consuming!

I flirted with the idea of using Krylon for the walls, because it sticks so well to plastic, but I can't handle the smell. I'm going to try my luck with Mythic primer and paint, plus an additional plastic primer for the endcaps and bathroom fixtures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	byebyecloset.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	148488   Click image for larger version

Name:	byebyewall.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	148489  

Name:	pileofcrap.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	148490  
Old 01-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
FINALLY got the bedroom/bathroom painted. Here was my process, for those interested in painting over that wretched vinyl wallpaper. I decided to skip the sanding step because it seemed like it would take forever, with little effect.

- Scrubbed everything hard with a Windex-soaked cloth.
- Rinsed.
- Scrubbed with TSP. (Didn't seem to do much.)
- Rinsed.
- Two coats of Mythic Interior/Exterior Multi-Purpose Primer. Let the first coat cure for about a week, then let the second coat sit for a few days. The upper parts of the walls didn't have any stickiness, even though it had been there prior to priming.
- One coat of Mythic Black Label Interior Semi-Gloss, applied with a 3/8 nap roller and smaller, fluffier roller on the endcap. Love this paint. No odor and it went on really thick and smooth.

The off-white shade is called Cloud Nine and it's by Benjamin Moore. I super love it. I thought a pure white would make things look too stark, like a hospital trailer.

Next, I'm gonna try to resuscitate the sink and medicine cabinet with some POR-15, and then begin making a new shower pan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	paint2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	149224  
Old 02-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
Wow! Love the slight sheen. About to do the same next weekend to our '31..'69. Well follow the renovation closely with coffee in hand 😁