Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Question Sewer cap size? (newbie question)

We recently purchased our '76 Sovereign about 95% original. And we've been checking and replacing worn parts etc.
The drain hose is ... well, going, going, gone. Stopped in "Camper World" to find a replacement... does anyone know what size this drain hub is? I realize I'm going to have to use an adaptor; but does anyone know which one?
Thanks for helping me out.
Safe travels to all.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
They usually come in the larger Thetford size (our Camping World carries termination caps, straight and angle sewer connections) and the standard size made by Camco, Valterra, etc. I use a Thetford termination cap with the wire to prevent it's loss then use a Valterra adapter left connected to my sewer hose. Those should be the only 2 sizes available. When you go into Camping World, hunt up the white Thetford fittings and compare them to the Valterra fittings. You will see that the Thetford is slightly larger. Ask one of the people there for the Valterra adapters that fits the Thetford and reduces to the 3" standard connection. Either that or use all Thetford connections. If so, I would buy an extra fitting as a spare since you can't always find them.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Correct on the thetford fittings .I liked the heavy duty made feel of the
thetford and the termination cap design .I did a 67 safari for a customer
a few days ago as they were missing all the items also.White thetford 45
off the trailer outlet with sewer hose and thetford termination cap.A valterra to thetford black adapter with matching valterra cap with gray hose attachment for blue tote boondocking or no sewer in campgrounds.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Thanks Craig.
Thanks Scott.
I did get back to CW today (they weren't nearly as busy as Friday afternoon) and got some help. Asked for the adapter you mentioned but unfortunately they don't have it in stock, however I did get a part number to search for; Valterra Part# T05-2285VP. Like you I have the Thetford connection still on the trailer and this adapter will be the answer.
So the hunt is on. Thanks for your help.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Please remember to remove the cap when dumping. One cold January day I left the cap on while attempting to dump at a Flying J. I hooked everything up stuck the end in the hole pulled the lever and ran inside to warm up. About 5 minutes later I checked to see if it was finished and saw it was still dumping. I kept running back and forth several times getting colder each time until I thought: Twenty minutes to dump? no way. I pulled out the hose and saw I forgot to take off the cap. With the cap removed the tank dumped in record time. By the way I was not a "newbie" when I did this.