Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1984 - 1989 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Arlington , Virginia
jumping in feet first with an 86 Sovereign 27 ft

Been lurking and doing a lot of research last few months and found my aluminum jewel
(technically just a deposit that is fully refundable, but I'm doing it)

I am getting it through the dealer in VA, while that added a little to the price, it gave me a level of comfort on my first purchase that I couldn't get from private sellers...even if they were a few k cheaper
this is camp ready tonight!

Owner took great care, but it's an 86 so there are some issues

it was used regularly and kept up
body and windows in cherry condition
did a thorough inspection underneath and it looked great

almost no rust or damage anywhere on the bottom

I think the axels are in good shape...based on them being 6 or so inches above the rim and level.
Checked under the carpet and in the cabinets and there is some water damage, but IMO not really that bad
windows look like there was a little leakage too

Eventually will have to be dealt with, but I think for the price I'm fine with knowing in a few years taking the top off and redoing the floor

Appliances work, tanks, LP, electric all is working according to the techs
even giving me new batteries

Awning works and while it had a little damage, looked really good

have my final walk through in 2 weeks

While I'm taking it "as-is" I was considering just paying the service team to give me any estimates on upgrades and work that needed to be done
they said it would be paying 2-3 hours of labor to give me some good estimates

I think the first tasks I'm willing to invest in are
1. bathroom upgrade (not really sure what it will entail, but want the bathroom to be very nice and modern)
2. reupholster the guacho (won't have the dealer do this)

3. Recover counters and some of the walls with new surface (or this)
4. Thinking I may want Bunks in the rear for the kids and just gaucho for the queen (possibly be a part of the bathroom redesign)

right now going to be out the door at $17k and have budget 5-7k of work upgrades
wanted to know the best thought on how to use that budgett

I'd love to hear suggestions on bathroom upgrades
it's a side bath room with separate shower, while everthing works, I'd rather rip it all our and have it sparkle and work really well

pics to come

Looking forward to being an AS owner
Mark
Side-Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:36 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Congrats. Sounds reasonable.

the price sounds fairly reasonable for the age and size. Budget might be low for your wish list if the work is done by the dealer.

Has the water system been tested? That was the surprise repair when we bought ours. You'll have a surprise somewhere with a trailer that age. Crossing fingers that it's small.Glad to know the rest checks out.

I love our 1986 Sov 25 (bought for $15K from private seller). I'm sure you'll love yours! Unless you want to know that the floor is perfect underfoot, you may go a long time before needing a shell off. These are trailers, not spaceships, so the bar is lower for me on "quality" I'll accept in normal use.
joevdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:16 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by joevdb View Post
the price sounds fairly reasonable for the age and size. Budget might be low for your wish list if the work is done by the dealer.
I'm asking the dealer to get me estimates on work like the water heater/furnace
But those jobs I think my friend and I can handle

Quote:

Has the water system been tested?
So that's why I like going through a dealer. They check and make sure all the systems are going, there is no warranty on it, but I feel much more comfortable that they were willing to sign off on that before it leaves the property

Also there is a 2 hour walk through where they get all the systems up and running and they show me how all the parts work and how to operate them

this also is a big plus going through a dealer as a private seller likely wouldn't spend that much time and doesn't care that there is some lurking issue

Since it's my first, I was comfortable spending a little more to get that 'insurance'

By no means finished but you can see the pics (from the dealer, can't believe I didn't take my own photos)
www.isleofaeaea.com

Quote:
Unless you want to know that the floor is perfect underfoot, you may go a long time before needing a shell off. These are trailers, not spaceships, so the bar is lower for me on "quality" I'll accept in normal use.
this is totally my philosophy...honestly I'm thinking it's going to stay in one spot for a full year or so as I'm going to use it as a 'hunting cabin' for lack of a better term at this great spot right on the water with tons of privacy

which I've apptly named the Isle of Aeaea

I'm going to name her Circe
Old 11-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Arlington , Virginia
Has anyone had any luck with the tankless water heaters?
worked great at a home I lived in

didn't seem like much more than a tank system?
https://highskyrvparts.com/New-Airst...-heater-106054

Also, has anyone done a Marine Wood Burning stove?
have an unlimited supply of firewood where I'm going to be using it
Old 12-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Arlington , Virginia
bought the 1985 29 foot Sovereign Saturday and took it home

So many things to love and so many things go fix

Should I spend my first efforts on making sure all the seals/caulk on anything on the outside is good

The plastic on the endcaps have lots of cracks

also below most of the windows, there is discoloration in the wallpaper?
doesn't seem like water damage, but not sure

need to replace all the running light enclosures and put in LED bulbs
same for inside

shower stall needs lots of love
Old 12-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Kalamazoo , Michigan
yes, outside, then a few things inside

Yes, make sure the outside is sealed. This can be hard to ell. May not know until it rains heavily.

The two easy inside things are to get a supply of Damp Rid and place them inside. It'll be cool and damp and condensation on the windows will drip off and may be the cause of the moisture you seen under the windows.

Spread some dryer sheets or peppermint oil soaked cotton balls around in the storage and closet areas as well to repel rodents. The new thing in your backyard is sure to attract them.

Tire covers to protect the tires from sunlight.

Hitch lock? Maybe, depending on where you are.

We have cracks in the endcaps as well. Don't think they're a pressing issue, or one easily solved.

Have fun! Get a space heater out there to allow a few hours backyard 'camping' when it warms up. Hot cocoa for the curious neighbors.
joevdb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign